main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What are the odds Disney will decide to just do a complete reboot?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MrFantastic74, Nov 2, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to see a film between TPM and AOTC.

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I like it. We started with the classic trilogy. It showed us what (up until now) was the end of the story. The Prequel trilogy made us understand the classic trilogy in a different way. Done with a deft touch, it would be really interesting to see what a trilogy between trilogies could reveal about the two trilogies surrounding it.

That would actually be a great chance to see younger versions of classic trilogy favorites in their early adventures, even as some prequel faces meet their ends...

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The news about new movies is still sinking in for me, but I really hope that no reboots ever get made. New movies I may end up being happy with, but not reboots. I really hope that one of Lucas' stipulations for the sale is that Disney never reboots 1 through 6 and protects the films from anyone else that may want to, money be damned.

4. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I wonder what those who've spent so many years complaining about the prequels would think on the topics of re-making just those three?

I have this theory that quite a few people who've said things like "George Lucas raped my childhood," or "Lucas ruined the prequels" will soon be caught ranting "These new movies are not really Star Wars because of Disney, and George Lucas didn't have much of a role in making them."

This new development might actually lead to greater acceptance of the PT by some of our less rational "friends"

5. Teasser38

Teasser38 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, how about this as an option. The Star Wars EU seems to run in an ouroboros cycle with a Jedi turning to the dark side and then becoming redeemed. Anakin... Luke... Jacen Solo... No reason why you can't have a thematic retelling the prequels. The universe is big enough that style isn't much of an issue.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Already had a retelling of the prequels. Legacy of the Force. For the most part everyone hates it. So probably not.

7. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I certainly agree on this point. People are flocking to every new reboot and sequel; this will always be the golden stamp. It seems to me however, that supporting a film nowadays falls more in line with pack mentality than recognizing works of art, and attempting to preserve them. It seems our society has become a herd of cows to milk by those with the milk pail. Old films can be made new again with good writers, I know; nevertheless I hate being fed the same meal of grass everyday.[face_sick]

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  8. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I think that rebooting the series would only happen if the ST bombs, otherwise new movies can use the momentum from quality ST films to develop new and interesting storylines.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I've been a SW fan since the 70s, and stuck by almost everything Uncle George has done. Initially I was against this sellout to Disney, but after further investigation, I think it "may" work if GL is still in consulting role. So I'm halfheartedly supporting this, but a REBOOT (or Star Trek style, back-in-time story) would be the final straw for me. I'd consider SW dead and only recognize 1977-2012.

That is why I'm so against the suggestion of JJ Abrams being a part of the new films. I'm no Trekie, but even I felt betrayed when he basically ERASED the entire canonological history of Star Trek rendering even the TV shows and movies invalid. Completely the lazy and arrogant way to recreate a movie franchise. I still haven't figured out why the Trekies didn't go after him with pitch forks and torches. I know that wouldn't fly with real SW fans.

Long story short, as long as Uncle George is alive, a reboot wont happen..

10. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    source?

Or it never happened.

11. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    They really can't do a "reboot" of a saga which has been released on Blu-Ray less than 5 years before the new movie.
    You see, they could do that in Star Trek 2009, because that it just how that universe works, with alternate realities, with time travel, all sorts of weird stuff. In Star Wars it can't work, unless they completely disregard the universe built so far, which I seriously doubt they will.
    What will be the point of a reboot in the case of Star Wars 2015? Because they can't really tweak the storyline of the OT, since there is nothing really major to tweak. And just to have shiny effects and a new cast just doesn't make it worth the effort.
    They had to do it in Star Trek 2009, because the previous two movies bombed (including the 2001 TV series), the franchise was on life support and they had to do something, anything to keep it alive. But with Star Wars? Even 30 years after its release it is still one of the most profitable franchises in the Milky Way.
    So no, I don't see it happening.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    No reboots. It'll be like going backwards when instead we should be going forward. I waited since '83 for more new Star Wars movies and to go back and revisit all six again would just be a waste of time. I'm so psyched that he's handed the keys to others and that they're wasting no time since then.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Reboot- I think the odds are about 0.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    A few here have mentioned that they don't think reboots will be made while Lucas is alive. I would certainly hope it's longer than that. Lucas did this to protect SW going forward, so I can't see that this type of thing would only be preventable while he's still alive. As I said above, I really hope that one of Lucas' stipulations for the sale is that Disney never reboots 1 through 6, and protects the films from anyone else that may want to.

15. Teasser38

Teasser38 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Wow, you must be one of the few people that George Lucas has done anything positive with the franchise since the benign neglect he gave The Empire Strikes Back. I'm going to pretend that for Star Wars that between 1983 and now nothing happened, except for what Lucasarts put out.

Trekkies and Star Wars freaks only make a small minority of the movie going public. Lucasfilm, a wholy owned subsidiary of Disney Co., is in it to make money and under George it was a primary concern. Most people think the Star Trek reboot was brilliant since it was sensitive to the charterers and didn't suck. Getting Nimoy in it merely confirms it since he's been picky about ST projects he is associated with. Alienating a small minority of your fan base to grow your audience it is a smart business move.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    No reboots please. I can't imagine being on the internet the day a press release comes out saying that one of the OT will be rebooted. Fans would storm the gates in Orlando and burn Cinderella's castle down. Down, I tell you.

17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    You don't reboot one of the most revolutionary trilogies in film history.

You jump to a new era with new characters and new story completely separate from the original.

Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Your last statement makes me think that rebooting the PT and leaving the OT intact may be crossing the minds of more than a few execs...

19. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ For the last time, why can't people use some dang common sense? Kathleen Kennedy is now the sole person in charge of determining the future of the Star Wars franchise - even with Disney now owning Lucasfilm - and she is not going to do anything to invalidate the enormous amount of trust that George Lucas showed in her by passing her the Star Wars baton and allowing her to move the franchise forward.

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Full reboot? Not likely.

A soft reboot ala DC Comic's DC 52 is more likely. I could see them removing or ignoring the Del Ray EU with it's NJO and follow ups much like parts of the post Crisis on Infinite Earths was handled by DC. In fact I hope for that as I want to see Mara and Luke kick some serious ass and I can't have that if she's dead, can I?

lukemaraben likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Uh, no he didn't.

22. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Nobody knows the specifics of the sale yet, and we don't know how much influence Disney will have on Lucasfilm's decision making. It's all speculation at this point.

23. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with Fenn. Star Tek (2009) did not erase the entire canonological history of Star Trek. Instead, they have moved in the direction of a new, alternate canon. The way I look at it, both timelines are canon, and I must say I like where they are going with the new timeline. Doesn't ST deal with time travel and alternate timelines/universes all the time anyway?

24. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    From AICN May 14, 2012
    Quint chats with director Josh Trank about the technique and emotional hook of Chronicle! Plus he artfully dodges a Fantastic Four question!

25. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    The Odds are not very favorable.