main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Crucify?? You mean like when fans were gonna boycot & crucify when Lucas would not release the crappy versions of the OT on blu ray? Is that what you mean?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    And while your opinion is in theory just as valid as everyone else's, once you start throwing words like "denial" around, you show true narrow-mindedness and a lack of eloquence.

I hope in time you will find your place and a more appropriate tone, newbie.
    The sooner the better.

Valairy Scot and yodasbum like this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Does Lucas have the power to do anything to stop them? He doesn't own the franchise anymore or run Lucasfilm.

5. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Yes he does. He is part owner of Disney who own Lucasfilm. Lucas is Disney.

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Don't make a fanboy movie, make a GOOD movie!

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    IF he chooses to do anything, just because he has lots of shares and some board voting rights doesn't mean he'll use them. He retired from Lucasfilm and sold it to another company for a reason, he wants to do something else.

8. yodasbum

Nov 4, 2004
    The question posed by you was does he have the power? As second highest shareholder then he does. Will he use it then only time will tell.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not that comfortable with Lucas having power over decision-maker for the whole of Disney, he didn't exactly make great decisions for his own company.

So if the New Star Wars is a failure, it might still be Lucas' fault.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Lucas doesn't have creative control... and he only owns 2% of Disney's stock... and he said he's retired from film making. He is a consultant that will be respected, but does not have final say.

Kathleen Kennedy is the one in charge here.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So if the PT doesn't do as well as expected, will Kennedy be summoned before the Disney board to explain herself?

That I think is the only thing that would cause Disney to perhaps decide it needs to be more involved in Lucasfilm.

12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I agree, if Episode VII flops (highly doubtful), Kathleen Kennedy would have a lot of explaining to do.

13. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Why question is how did so many people using this forum get access to meetings where they hammered all the details of the sale during the last few years.... hehe

14. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
  15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Great post.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The key perhaps being what Disney would regard as a flop. The PT was largely a success in terms of Box Office revenue, but critically it wasn't that well received and it divides fan opinion.

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Id love to see a reboot of star. Warss

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    John Carter = Flop
    All of the PT = Success

Star Wars will ALWAYS divide fan opinion because it's so deeply engrained in our culture, people have strong opinions and emotions on how it should be portrayed.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and LawJedi like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    John Carter was a a major flop too, both in critical terms and at the box office.

If the ST movies failed to make Avengers or TDKR-level money but were a critical success would Disney still be happy? As a fan I would want something that was good and if the majority don't go to see it I don't care, but for a business person profit is important

20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    They don't have to become the biggest movies of all-time if that's what you're asking. If they were critically successful and didn't lose money, I think Disney would be happy, as that is showing franchise growth into a new generation.

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    yea we all view it differently. I love sharing it with others, but it hard because it is already 13hrs long. Its hard for people to stay focused.

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    About TRON: Disney wanted to and still wants to make another one, but TRON: Legacy did so badly that they can't just go ahead and make another one. However, they care about TRON, which is why they made a tv show. Disney is invested (and not just monetarily) in that franchise.

23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    What crappy versions do you refer to, Mr. Anti-Intellectual? You may be ignorant of this, but Lucas DID release his crappy SE version in 2011.

yodasbum likes this.
  24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The only fan they need to listen to is Me:

1. More Ewoks, more Gungans, more cute/funny characters
    2. More weird esoteric mythological craziness ala "Mortis"
    3. Lots more complicated Byzantine politics, elaborate costume drama, and long-winded explanations of how the Force works

See? That would make everyone happy ;)

I am sure that Disney will court the long-term fans and get them on board for word of mouth. But as others have pointed out, this is a huge, diverse fan base. But expect a few Valentines, it's part of marketing old franchises now.

yodasbum likes this.
  25. yodasbum

Nov 4, 2004
    I think if the ST gets critical success but not Avengers boxoffice then DIsney would be happy because the brand would have legs (although if the ST has critical success it will have Avengers boxoffice). If it gets Phantom adjusted boxoffice but bad critical reviews especially for episode VII then I think they are unhappy because another PT mauling hurts the long term revenue. .