main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Disney - Lucasfilm Relationship & EpVII Decision Making

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by GeneralCeel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't think they could do that and hopefully they would never want to. I see Disney's role simply as deciding what movies to make and bankrolling them if the budget is beyond what the partner studio can manage (I doubt Lucasfilm would be able to afford to make three $250million movies unless Disney footed the bill). They can say "make it" but how you do it and who does it is not their call.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    My guess is they don't so much as "Order" what film to make next though, even though it would be in their power... but instead let Lucas Films approach them with their movie plans, and Disney either gives a simple go or no go order on their ideas and provides financial support when needed.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Lucasfilm was always able to make them for half that price on their own..

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm aware Lucasfilm could make movies cheap, but imagine what they could do then with a much bigger budget. But without Father George to bankroll such an expense with his vast fortune, they may now turn to Uncle Walt if they wanted to increase the movie spending.

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The reason Lucas Film could make films cheaper than others, was because all of the Special FX and Sound FX were done in house with ILM and Skywalker Sound. This will not change.

6. Sith93Apprentice

Sith93Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ok, I have a better idea now. This is probably a hugely positive thing. Yes, i too would like more a film for all ages than kids films for a new generation.. What precious little I have read and listened too regardin this sort thing tells me that ordinarily when an aquisition occurs the new owners are usually smart enough not to jack with how things are run or try and micro-manage it too much. If this happens, moral crashes and it undermines the culture of the organization then it becomes a sinking ship. My speculation is that Lucas simply has tried to invigorate the franchise with the prequels, didn't get the result he desired, then tried working on the live action TV serials and got blead dry by people asking too much for their work expecting a huge pay-off and this probably weakened his company and put it in debt, requiring him to sell it to keep it running. Usually when you have to go ask someone for money you have to get it by selling off shares of your company and that is probably exactly what happened, but it doesn't mean it's the end of something. I haven't read and don't know how to read financial reports if they were even availible (wasn't Lucas Film private?) but it's likely the end has been drawing near for some time and this is a chance to revive it. maybe they'll finally loosen up a little on the distribution restrictions and sell the stuff in iTunes finally. Just please don't let it turn into the Little Jedi Adventures or something Disney like, please.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Absolutely didn't happen. Lucas Film is VERY profitable with almost ZERO Debt and Lucas was already one of the top 50 wealthiest men in the world.

Last year alone Lucas Film LTD took in $1.3b in profit. He was NOT getting bled dry at all. He has seen nothing but success.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't think Lucas or Lucasfilm were having any financial problems, but Lucas has said that he doesn't like it when everyone goes around saying how horrible he is and how he ruined their childhoods, and why would he want to continue when people are so mean to him? Also, can't a guy just retire? Lucas is not obligated to pour his soul into making films for a bunch of whiny fans.
    Little Jedi Adventures? You obviously have not seen the Ewoks tv show.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Your wondering why if it was bad did it make so much money.

Why did the Transformers sequels make money even though they were crap?

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You are correct... this is just about Lucas retiring as a filmmaker.

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    He's seen success from his franchises, every other movie he's produced has bombed at the box offie.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Exactly. Blockbuster movies are often forgot about. Star Wars will always be Star Wars.

13. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Lucas just wanted to get rid of it if you ask me. Of course he's already said he felt it was time to move on. Not to mention that last years changes to the OT caused another flame war that probably caused him to say enough was enough.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah. Star Wars isn't even Lucas' greatest passion. He's definitely old enough to retire - and he can. He does not owe us anything. Maybe he wants a break to just spend money and not think.

15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Lucas Film makes most of it's money from ILM and Skywalker sound, the leading special and sound FX companies in the buisness. They also get a large chunk from merchandise and from Lucas Arts - video games and comics/novels etc.

Their own theatrical projects actually cost them very little compared to the rest of the industry due to all the in house FX tools other filmmakers lack. Thus even the unsuccessful films/tv shows have cost the company very little if anything at all.

16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well from what I've gathered he's never really been in love with Star Wars the way fanboys seem to think. He was happy to see it be successful, and it made him money, that was it. He had such a bad experience with the first movie, and from what I understand thought it was going to fail. With Empire he was just making a sequel and I hear he was pretty much and ******* behind the scenes on that film.

With ROTJ he finally found out that he could merchandise the hell out of this thing, and that's why we got ewoks. Add to that that he's never been happy with the first film. Why else would he continiously change it? I still think he wants to make that STar Wars movie he wanted with a lizard Han Solo.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Right - Lucas has done so much non-Star Wars stuff. He's just known for Star Wars. The fans love the franchise more than those involved so much of the time.
    Although Lucas was smart about merchandising - 40% of all profits is his cut. That is a lot for toys.

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Quote trees making me blind! :p

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  19. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    "With ROTJ he finally found out that he could merchandise the hell out of this thing, and that's why we got ewoks"

Are you kidding? They couldn't get and keep enough toys on the racks after ANH to meet the huge demand.....

EviL_eLF likes this.
  20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Bottom line? Lucas didn't sell because everything was failing... everything was succeeding well on it's own and he was getting richer by the minute. He sold because he wanted to secure both his company and the franchise's future beyond his life span and Disney gave him that security blanket.

21. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005

Did you never think that the general public does not share the opinion of snobby Star Wars fans?

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Lots of people love explosion action movies, acting and story are not so important so long as their is exciting stuff happening on the screen.

It can be hard to balance story & character with good action, Nolan has done this well with his movies but often you either get soemthing that is too talky and therefore dull to most or something that is all flashy like Transformers which upsets people who want a little more substance.

TPM made money because of the name and the hype, not because lots of people liked it.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, the first Christmas after the original film was released the toy licensing people actually got away with selling an empty box that came with a certificate the kid could redeem for action figures when they were actually available. Again, they got away with selling an empty box. Star Wars has always had the merchandising angle to it. The first film was never quite the no-toy art house true artist's film that many on the 'net seem to think it was in their nostalgic ruminations.

24. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    That's an entirely subjective stance. I'm quite sure lots of people liked TPM...sure they may not be hardcore SW fans, but there seems to be lots of people who like it.

Leaving aside the NEW FANS that the PT made....including my little step brothers who grew up with the PT first....they ADORE those films.

So I defo think it's a combination of hype and success with audience....dismissing one because you feel it as a personal opinion is a little obtuse.

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Lots of people did like TPM.
    What we're discussing here are opinions. When someone says "the majority of non-fans didn't like it", he/she usually means "I don't think it's a good movie". The truth is that it's mostly fans who don't like it. Fans who are too old in their mind to appreciate new Star Wars movies anyway.

Star Wars is for kids - and Disney knows it
    /LM

sidious1000 likes this.