main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is EU is canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Ok I know what it stands for but what gets to be part of the EU? I love the old Marvel comic series. Is that counted in to the EU? What about the hoilday special? Ate the Lego movies. I'm sure no one would count in the Lego ones. Dark
    Horse? If dark house is then way not marvel. Marvrl had some great issues

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Everything is canon within the EU unless it is marked as Infinities. Some older sources which lost their licence, such as the Challenge RPG material, is still non-canon. The Marvel comics are definitely canon. The Lego Games are Infinities, by and large.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the films :p

anything else is whatever you want to be canon

it's fiction

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    EU is mostly canon. Generally, take it as such.

5. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Wars is fiction? But I want to marry Jaina Solo.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    oh crap.

7. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    you can :p

in your EU :p

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  8. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't you mean in your FU (fan universe)? :p

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't know what "is EU" is.

10. BobbySharp

BobbySharp Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I've always viewed "canon" as a complicated thing where there exist differing levels. We are dealing with a fictional universe here so there are no completely right answers, just better ones.

I consider the only pure, true canon to be the six films and perhaps the film novelizations. After that, it's largely up to the individual. I like some, but not most, of the EU and have never taken the approach where one has to accept it all as canon. There's just too much ridiculous chaff for me to buy into it too much. Zahn's stuff is largely enjoyed, and I really like it, but for me it's always been about a way to spend some time in the universe and not about learning what really happened to these characters.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    While for the EU, most of the material released is canon, I kind of subscribe to the opinions of picking and choosing what you accept as your personal canon.

For example, the gap between Star Wars and Empire. You've got Marvel/A Long Time Ago, the newspaper strips/Classic SW(Russ Manning, as well as Williamson/Goodwin), Splinter of the Minds Eye, Empire, Rebellion, and probably a bunch more.

For my personal canon, I prefer the Williamson/Goodwin Classic SW. I think it fills in the gap nicely, and I don't have to read the other material to feel satisfied(that plus Shadows of the Empire fills out the OT for me).

But others may have other preferences for their canon, while most may just choose it all.

12. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    How?

13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    well you write a story and then you say

"and Adrian the Cool and Jaina solo got married and lived happily ever after"

FU/EU whats the difference :p

neither are created by the author/creator

so it's ALL fan made stuff

14. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    This plus I feel the films, like the new trilogy for instance, can supersede pre existing canon which would lead to the existing canon to be retconned to fit the new material.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Post ROTJ stories are canon. Lucas changed his mind now. So that excuse that post ROTJ stories arent canon, that I used, is now wrong...[face_dancing]

Is the EU the same canon as the movies though? Kinda like how all James bond is canon, but different universes and storyline? Sean connery films and daniel craig bond are all canon, but are different canon, different storylines, different universes. Is the EU like that? Canon, but different canon than movies?

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    There are different levels of canon but this does not really matter unless something contradicts something. Comics and movies are canon. The levels only come into play when a movie contradicts a comic - then the comic is non canon. If they both can exist together, canon does not matter. The levels are used only to sort out conflicts.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do u mean by levels of canon??

Btw, I never said the EU wasn't canon, I meant that it was a different storyline and different universe, and different canon than the films...... All James Bond movies are canon, but are part of different stories...... Is that correct?

Lucas said that::

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The EU is all canon. This is not like James Bond. Those films are freestanding micro-universes under one franchise name. Star Wars is one entity. Lucas does not like some parts of EU but he doesn't care about it. The official Lucasfilm stance is that EU is part of the same story as the films, so Star Wars is not like James bond.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Can something be in a different story and still be canon? All James Bond stories are canon and official. I never said they (Bond) weren't canon...........

I accept that the EU is canon. What's the issue about the EU canon were discussing???

20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    James Bond movies are canon within each separate movie's little universe. The Dark Knight Rises is canon within in Batman film trilogy, but is not canon canon in the entire Batman franchise, just as an Infinities storyline may be canon WITHIN Infinities. Same with Avengers - not canon in the entire franchise. Star Wars works differently. Everything is canon canon.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Define "canon, canon"...

James Bond, Christopher Nolan trilogy, are all canon.. How are they different than Star Wars canon??

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Everything that happened within the films happened in the films. That is a fact. However, in the overarching Batman franchise, the comics happened. None of the films did. They are just based on the concept of Batman. Same with fanfiction. Those events are canon within the piece of fanfiction. The fanfiction as a whole is non-canon.
    In Star Wars, the films and the comics, books, etc. all happen.
    Bond is a great example of a profit-making franchise. None of those films is actually related to the other films. They may share characters + organizations, just as Batman shares characters and organizations, but those films are not part of the same story as each other, just as the Batman films are not part of the same storyline and are not related to the comics.

23. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    Canon canon is the main canon of the entire fictional universe. Just canon is the canon of a part of a fictional universe. In Star Wars, everything is part of the main canon, like in Spacecenter Babylon 5. But for example, in Lord of the Rings, the books are the main canon of Tolkien's legendarium, the movies not, because they differ from the books.

Next question, please. Is there something about Star Wars you do know?^^

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean? Be more specific, and how it relates to SW and the other franchices mentioned............

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Canon canon is similar to "like like".
    When you like someone, you think that they are a good friend. Like like-ing them means that you have a crush/romantic feelings.
    Canon canon means undisputably did happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.