main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.6 - The Gathering - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 31, 2012.

1. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    In your opinion.

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Decent episode. I feel like Jedi should be way better adjusted to life and not fall to pieces so easily like they did here, but hey what can you do?

Byph is destined for Sithdom. A female Ithorian Sith? I'd buy that for a dollar.

DM99 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Byph is the Ithorian, I think people here are confused

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    He is my favorite. He was so fun to watch... he felt like Wall-E for some reason!

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm wondering. Is it Gunji, or Gungi? Wookieepedia has the latter, but the former makes more phonetic sense.

Speaking of which- it's wookiee, not wookie. Two o's, two e's. :-B

I know we all like to eat our wookiee ookiee cookies while we take a lookie lookie at TCW, but let's use the proper spelling. ;)

6. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I really liked this episode! I thought that a constant focus on kids would be annoying but they were actually really great characters. I found their personalities and traits to be far more interesting than those of Anakin and Obi-Wan. Episodes like this highlight what a shame it is that the series overuses the Big Three so badly. Another aspect I liked was the mysticism. It's very rare for this series to focus on the spiritual side of the Force, and it's even rarer for the writers to use Yoda for something other than making obvious statements. The story had a really strong Empire Strikes Back vibe.

One gripe I had with the episode was the fact that the Padawans were constantly talking to themselves. It didn't seriously impede on my enjoyment of the episode, but it made some scenes feel really unnatural. I also disliked the fact that Ahsoka was given such a big role. I have no problem with her tagging along and advising the Jedi, but there were some instances when she was stepping on Yoda's dialogue to get her two cents in. It felt really weird for a Padawan to be on the same level as the head of the Jedi Council when it comes to giving advise to students.

Edit: I forgot to mention how much I loved the Ithorian and the Wookiee! (I'll try to have the names memorized by the end of the arc. :p) Gunji (spelling?) meditating while he waited for the river to freeze over made for a really great visual. I was reminded of Qui-Gon taking time to focus during his battle with Darth Maul in TPM.

The Ithorian padawan is probably my favorite. He didn't speak a word of dialogue, but I was still able to understand every thought going through his head. The expressiveness of his eyes really impressed me. =D=

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  7. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well, first let's get the obvious out of the way...

Baby Ahsoka is CUTE!!!!!!!

Anyway, on the whole, this was genuinely a good episode. Really good. For now, I'm going to rank it as my top episode of the season. Prior to this I really didn't have a favorite. They were all just ok. The season premiere was ok, and the Onderon arc as entertaining in it's own way, but here we have the heart and soul of the Jedi, watching how they start life and how they grow and mature.

This wasn't an episode about six children running around playing at being Jedi. They had real lessons to learn, and flaws to overcome. Each one by the end truly came to represent one aspect of what a Jedi should be, and I think, on the whole it was masterfully done. For each one I actually found myself silently urging them on, telling them what they needed to do to succeed in their task, otherwise they were doomed to failure. There were moments where I was thinking to myself that one or more of them might be trapped in there. Given the flow of the series it wouldn't have surprised me. Even so, it was refreshing to see a cheerful resolution. "Everybody lives!" as The Doctor would say. Lessons learned.

If this is only the first part of a multi part arc, I'm very eager to see where this leads. If the remaining episodes are of this quality, it could easily become the best arc of the season until something better comes along.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Gunji is gonna be the heart and soul of the Padawan Group :p

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Did anyone else notice they used some of Lumpy's sound effects from The Star Wars Holiday Special for Gunji when he approached his crystal? That was awesome :)

10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought the episode was just okay. Nice to see a Wookiee Jedi and the flashback to when Plo Koon found Ahsoka.

Watching it sort of makes made me sad, because in my opinion the micro-series was just so much better. I know its more aimed at kids, but the Clone Wars completely misses the mark in terms of displaying an epic galactic scale war. Then unnecessarily changing previous established cannon, because the writers can't come up with original ideas really irks me.

Inblackestnight, Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I mentioned that a few pages back. I liked it.

And darthscott3457, TCW and the micro series are such differently formatted shows that I often cannot compare the two, call one better than the other. It's like comparing TCW to the Republic comics, they're just two different approaches to this time period

QuangoFett likes this.
  12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Gunji totally steals the show. He's adorable and I love his one little tooth sticking out!

Anyways. I wasn't sure what to expect from this episode but it turned out to be decent. Not sure I'd call it a favorite but I liked Yoda and the exploration of the mythos. The music was great, the crystals basically picking their owners was a cool concept, and I liked the over the top opening of the cave. Byph and Pedro were also cool (I wasn't expecting a Selfish brat as a Jedi youngling). The rest of the kids got on my nerves, particularly Ganodi and Geekboy but I guess even Jedi have their D students. I think that was the biggest detractor from the episode for me. I guess in the GFFA they still haven't perfected lithium ion batteries or something. Them suckers still explode.

I don't think these kids are meant to be one shots. I'm suspecting since they are going to be central for four episodes and they are being introduced with Ahsoka the kids will become reoccurring characters or will have some future role.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Dunno if I'm just feeling sentimental but I can't help but feel this may have been one of the top 10 episodes of the entire series.

There might be a bit to nitpick but if this is what they're aiming for with Young Jedi, lighter fare for kids, they absolutely nailed it.

And Yoda was actually pretty great overall. Still haven't got his speech down but it was better than previous episodes.

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I like how they had some variation(s) of John Williams music from the OT.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree with this bolded one!

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah I could watch Gunji all night long.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Was anyone else reminded of Home Alone when Kevin is afraid of the furnace when Byph was trying to get his crystal? xD

IG_2000 and fistofan1 like this.
  18. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Well, that wasn't nearly as bad I thought it'd be. The younglings weren't annoying at all, Illum was really well rendered, and the whole episode harkened back to the OT more than anything TCW has had since Season 2.

I also noticed that the Nautolan was voiced by Greg Cipes who also voiced Beast Boy on Teen Titans, which was one of my favorite shows growing up.

I agree. The music we've gotten for the past few episodes has been pretty good; I hope the trend continues. :)

19. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I really don't have anything to say about this episode, it was a good episode in sense. I have nothing bad to really say about it but I guess I was kinda bored with it. I really don't have much to say about it. What I do like most about it, is that it really did feel like Star Wars to me, the whole atmosphere of the episode was amazing.

20. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    I think it is ment to look like the cave of wonders from Aladdin.
    [​IMG].

DM99 likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    "Proceed... touch nothing but the crystal!"

22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Made in China.

yesssssssss.

female sith lithorian!

i knew it. dont mind the wrong modeling and the single hump on the head. its a girl. the voice was to high pitched to be a boy.

There you can see how dull the EU is.

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    No that doesn't mean its dull (besides since TCW is apart of the EU, now because of this episode, the EU has a new female rodian), that's like saying the films are dull because most characters are human, and most humans are male, in the films.

Inblackestnight and Esg like this.
  24. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    I mean Byph will be killed from Vader himself in a duell. Maybe no master will chose her because they can sense to much fear and the darkside.

The others will be on a mission with their masters and propably shot down from behind.

katooni is not a human. she is a tolothian.

EU without Lucas touch is dull. I mean Palpatine cloning himself is ok, but transfering his mind into another body? Come on. A Sith cant do that.

25. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really liked this episode; it was nice to see Ilum again after seeing it for the first time in the previous Clone Wars series and the animation was great. The Jedi Youngling team was pretty likeable (and it was good that they had pretty diverse personalities; I look forward to seeing more of them) and the episode played out well; I liked that what Yoda said about them getting trapped for one rotation if the entrance to the crystal caves iced over was a test as they could get out by breaking the ice, but it would be their minds that would keep them trapped inside. The Star Wars feel was definitely here and I was positively surprised by it, but I don't know if next week's episode is gonna top this one.

Garth Maul likes this.