main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Future of Dark Horse Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Perhaps, however if Disney does force Star Wars into their stable, I would think that the Disney honchos would push them into putting the top talent onto it at least for a few years. Disney does want to protect their investment somewhat. If Marvel caused the demise of the Star Wars comics franchise, rather than expansion, my guess is that would not make Disney happy at all. Disney's goal is to squeeze Star Wars for profits in every opportunity.

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I will literally burn ever Marvel Comic I own if they do a Star Wars Crossover. I can't even express how upset I would be at that prospect.

Zorrixor and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    JUST SHOULD NOT HAPPEN

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Sell them off and buy DC comics out of spite! :)

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    But the DC logo sucks...

Darth_Kevin likes this.
  6. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Hmmm....back issues?

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I guess. Or go independent! Or manga!

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Meh, if it was clearly infinities, I could live with it. I can't see any way of making it good, though, short of making it a comedy.

9. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I know that Disney owns the film rights to Marvel's universe but do they also own Mavel comics as well? If not I can't see any reason for Star Wars being forced back to Marvel comics.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    They own Marvel outright, but picking up a comic, you'd never know it.

11. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I just don't think Star Wars will get any stage time with Marvel....at least nowhere near as much as Dark Horse gives it.

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    As I posted earlier, I would think Disney may push them to give it a lot of attention, at least early on. Of course, over time that attention would probably dwindle.

13. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    Marvel never gave SW that much attention during their run back in the 70s and 80s.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, if it does go to Marvel, I predict that they'll saturate the market with Star Wars comics around the time every new movie comes out, but between releases, I don't see it being nearly as prevalent as Dark Horse.

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It seems like Marvel isn't a good fit for the Star Wars license, and they probably know it.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    We'll see. I don't see any way DH keeps the license once it is up for renewal.

17. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Dark Horse would still be able to finish their omnibus program if marvel takes over completely right?

if Marvel gets star wars comics, I will buy each and every omnibus in support of Dark Horse.

Rew likes this.
  18. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I hope so.

Since Dark Horse bought the rights to Marvel's Star Wars material, I think the most ironic thing would be that once Marvel gets the license [back], they still could not reprint their original material :D

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    They don't deserve to. I hope that Disney lets DH keep the damn license. Marvel shouldn't have to juggle so many of their superheroes AND Star Wars.

Does it even matter if Disney puts it into Marvel? Even under DH, aren't they still getting profits?

At the very least, I hope things come to a smooth conclusion. Dark Times better have an endgame planned soon.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Dark Times' endgame is: Vader kills everyone. Simples.

DotJ? Harder, but would expect John and Jan to have a plan, especially after their experience on Legacy.

Profits? Certainly. But Marvel would not have any hesitation in reducing the story to 20 pages and charging $3.99 an issue. I would expect arcs to be no more than 4 issues too.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The thing is, Marvel is used to the superhero genre, which is not the same thing as the Star Wars niche, even though geeks read them both. And what's wrong with Dark Horse?

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the main factor here is that Marvel WILL more than likely get the License. It's cheaper for Disney to have the comic books sold in house for one. And I believe Disney will push Star Wars comics early on, with big name writers and artist. Also it's not unheard of for a comic in one company to continuie in another, so the new "STAR WARS" series could continuie if Disney wanted it to.

Marvel lobbied for the license back when DH's contract was up for renewal. I bet they'll want it even more now, especially given the craze and excitement that will lead up to the release of EPISODE 7.

23. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    In the '90s Marvel crossed X-Men with Star Trek and TNG, meaning we are one Star Wars/Marvel crossover away from having Trek and Wars in the same continuity. [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh]

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When was DH's contract up for renewal?

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Any problems will be ironed out and rectified when Dark Horse buys Disney.