main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Cause he is ancient and hated the role.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah they will not be main characters.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I know he hasn't been too fond of the character, but I wouldn't say his return is totally out of the question. Anything is possible and if given a decent role (not just a cameo to say 'Hey, here's Han!' - something with a little more substance than that) and the right push from Lucas and co, I think he may give it another go. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens down the road.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  4. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
    I think the better question is why would he appear in a cameo?

Seems like it should be main character or nothing. And if it is main character, is it the "geriatric wars"? Isn't he over 70 by now?

5. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    You know I think the likely outcome is having the big three's involvement being a middle ground between cameo roles and being THE main characters. Most likely they will be the secondary supporting characters and the main characters will be new characters that have some relation to them such as their children. That is probably the best way to get them to return without it being overdone and yet still being meaningful and not just throw away roles. If done right there is plenty of room in epic movies like these for a good number of significant characters. My guess is that Han Solo will die in Episode VII in a heroic death in order to get Ford back.

6. YoureNotJonesy

YoureNotJonesy Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. Obviously I don't know Harrison Ford personally, but I feel that a cameo would not be something he would do. However, if given the opportunity to come back to the role to do something that serves the story, and as stated previously die while doing it, I think he may do it.

Here's the real question though: how will Billy Dee be convinced to make an appearance?

7. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998
    Yes.

8. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    I think saying that Harrison Ford "hates" Star Wars and the role of Han Solo is rather a strong statement. I mean why would he hate the role that literally made him as an actor? I mean obviously he prefers the role of Indiana Jones because he is THE star in that franchise but I think he would return to do Han Solo in Episode VII if he died a heroic in it.

yodasbum likes this.
  9. YODA the all powerful

Oct 5, 1998

Doesn't matter whether it made him an actor. He is rich as **** and old as **** he has no need to do anything he doesn't want to, and I would wager most of my life earnings that he doesn't want to do anymore SW.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Indiana Jones made him as an actor. Lucas had referred him to Speilberg before he even got on the screen as Han, and he referred him based on his work with him in American Graffiti.

Now, most of us tie him in as Han more so because of our extreme fandom towards the OT, but it was still Indiana Jones that made him a true star.

11. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Indiana Jones made him a star in his own right that much is true but if it was his role as Han Solo first that made him a natural choice for Indiana Jones.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Actually, it was Spielberg that suggested Ford after the success of the first two Star Wars films. It was Lucas who declined because he didn't want Ford to become his 'pet actor,' since he used him in American Graffiti, Star Wars and ESB. And we all know how that turned out.

Han Solo is the role that made him a household name. Indiana Jones was just the icing on top of the cake - that was what thrust him to movie star status.

With that said, I wouldn't cast him aside so easily.

13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Post was entirely incorrect... not filmed at the same time... going to have to go back and read up on this one! You may be right!

That's what happens when you're 3yrs old when ESB comes out and 4 when Raiders comes out... [face_laugh]

14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I apologize oh wise one!

Spielberg suggested casting Ford as Jones, but Lucas objected, stating that he did not want Ford to become his "Bobby De Niro" or "that guy I put in all my movies", a reference to Martin Scorsese, who often worked with Robert De Niro. Desiring a lesser known actor, Lucas persuaded Spielberg to help him search for a new talent. Among the actors who auditioned were Tim Matheson, Peter Coyote, John Shea, and Tom Selleck. Selleck was originally offered the role, but he was unavailable for the part because of his commitment to the television series Magnum, P.I. In June 1980, three weeks away from filming, Spielberg persuaded Lucas to cast Ford after producers Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy were impressed by his performance as Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    No worries! Glad I caught that! I had another post ready to go!

The Complete Making of Indiana Jones is a good source if you're looking for some reading material . I'm sure you'll be able to find some articles about it online as well.

EDIT! Ack! Beat me again! I really need to be quicker with this! :p

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Hey, one thing I can absolutely be is quick! ;)

17. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I really hope Harrison Ford does return.

18. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    If he doesn't want to be a part of it, let the man be.

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    These are facts: Ford has never hated Star Wars or the character of Han Solo. He feels that Indiana Jones, by comparison, has more depth, but he did enjoy doing Star Wars and owes a lot of his success to those movies.
    I am of the belief that if Hamill and Fisher were to make appearances in EpVII and GL were to ask him, he would join them. No doubt, he would, as has already been suggested, wish for Han to die - an event that should affect his family a great deal and cause some really good drama.

Build it and he will come
    /LM

20. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Boy,this thread is sucking enthusiasm up like a sponge.[face_sigh]

21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I could live with that if it goes down that road...

22. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Well you were right to the extent that Harrison Ford became a star in his own right playing Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. With SW and ESB he was probably still type cast as being known as Han Solo and that might have been part of the reason that he wanted that character killed off at that time. However with him being such an established icon today he shouldn't mind returning as Han Solo for a meaningful role that would allow his character the heroic death he always wanted. It is also interesting that Kathleen Kennedy played a part in convincing Lucas to cast Ford as Indiana Jones and apparently his performance as Han Solo in ESB is what impressed her. So there you have it a direct link showing Ford as Han Solo leading to Ford as Indiana Jones. If anything this could bode well for Lucas and Kennedy in convincing him to come back. As an Indiana Jones fan I also hope Ford would try to convince them to make an Indiana Jones 5 as part of the deal for being in Episode VII.

23. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    The perfect replacement for Harrison Ford would be the guy out of the day after tomorrow

24. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    A few points:

1. Harrison's main annoyance with SW stemmed from the movies blowing up to be as popular the way they did, causing him to be away from home...which in turn effectively destroyed his marriage to his first wife (IMPERFECT HERO - Ford Biography)

2. Harrison's claim was never that he hated SW, but rather that he would not make another SW with George Lucas.

3. Harrison's only movie in the last ten years that garnered any kind of press and praise was COWBOYS AND ALIENS, (maybe CRYSTAL SKULL, but it was a stinker so I don't count it) but otherwise he's not really on Hollywood's A-List anymore. a come back role like this would do him good, unless he wishes to retire.

4. "Hey Harrison, what did you think of AVENGERS? Awesome wasn't it? Well Disney bought Lucasfilm like they bought Marvel and are making a new movie...basically you would be Solo as he shepherds his own children into the hero roles...you in?" Were I Ford, the answer to that question is simple. Hell Yes.

It just seems like if he were asked and because it will be a different creative team (and yes, his friendship with Kennedy as well) he'd have much less of a reason to say no than he did before.

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He doesn't have anything against GL.

George - he is loved
    /LM