main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why was this line In Empire changed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Luke says to R2 on Dagobah after he is spit out by the giant swamp worm thing.
    "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

In the 1997 special Edition it was changed to... "You were lucky to get out of there."
    People go on and on about the Han shot first thing but this one really stumps me.
    For what reason was the funnier taste very good line replaced? How many of you pay such close attention to the dialog that you noticed this?:-B

yodasbum and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Yeah, that was a great line(that and Han's line in ROTJ when he shoots the Sarlaac's tentacle "trust me"). I have no idea why both of those lines changed. :(

I really hope Disney comes through for us with the OOT Blu Rays.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It was something to do with degradation of the original film, so they had to edit in alternative takes.

Disney won't have anything to do with the current films. Fox retain the distribution rights.

4. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Is that official?

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  6. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Glad I got my original unaltered Standard DVD's. I'm fine with those if the OT blu-rays never come.
    Some changes don't really bother me but this one did.

7. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Where did you hear/read it? Just curious ;)

8. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    But as the owner of Lucasfilm, wouldn't it be Disney's call for the yay or nay on converting the OOT into HD?(just like it was Lucas' call when he owned it). And the release would still be through Fox.

The only problem I could see is if George put a clause in the contract to Disney forbidding the OOT.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    What about the fanfare?

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The fanfare will remain in the current saga, but not in new films

11. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Fox holds the rights to ANH forever. But lose the PT and other OT in 2020.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    why would that stop Disney making a blu-ray of the OOT ?

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You can get the Original Trilogy on Blu Ray, in a Boxset with the Prequels, if that counts

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Fox retains distribution rights, not the the rights to the films themselves. So if Disney wants to release the OOT on Blue Ray, they have to do it through Fox. Disney can't go and stick the Castle on the DVD Box. They have to stick the 20th Century on it, unless they somehow manage to acquire the distribution rights to distribute the films themselves. Big difference there between owning a franchise and being able to distribute it yourself.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the OOT is in HD on the blu-ray set ?

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No, not the O-OT version of it.

17. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I didn't like that change & I especially didn't like replacing "Bring my shuttle". That line was terrific, he sounded frustrated & aggravated. Perfect.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's get back on topic. I think that changing the taste very good line was NOT worth it for the sake of audio quality.

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't know the details, but more likely the issue was with the picture (and the only available alternate take had Luke delivering a different line altogether).

If it really was because of something like that, I can live with it.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the OT negatives went downhill more than anyone expected between 1977 and 1997; all line replacements are because of that.

It's less "audio quality" and more "actual words as opposed to a garbled mess".

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I wonder if that's what prompted the replacement of "Bring my shuttle"? If the audio had been fine, maybe they wouldn't have bothered.

(Obviously it had nothing to do with the picture quality, as the sync wasn't an issue)

22. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Or maybe they should just pay JAT to pass an afternoon in his recording studio ADRing the original lines?

Just a thought.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    JAT?

My point was they already had James Earl Jones in for the new lines in the scene with the Emperor, needed to re-do "Bring my shuttle", then decided to change it altogether ("Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" is new, isn't it, not an alternate take from 1980?).

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    AFAIK, the "star destroyer" line was a cut line from the beginning of ANH (remember that this replacement was made for the SE, not the DVD). That's why it sounds so different from the growling TESB Vader. It was likely included to fit the added photography that follows. Since the shuttle is already waiting for him, it would make no sense for him to say "Bring my shuttle".
    It's a shame that the "taste" line had to be replaced. I do think that Han's alternate line in ROTJ is funnier than the "trust me", though - for some reason.

"It's all right, I'll use the Force!"
    /LM

25. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012