main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How does Episode 7 effect the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    What do you think will happen with the EU now that Disney own Star Wars?

Will Lucas books continue to publish within the current continuity? Will they cancel the upcoming novels? Will they reboot? Will 2 timelines exist alone side each other concurrently
    I personally couldn't bare to think that the Thrawn trilogy is no longer cannon. :(

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/star-wars-sequels-timothy-zahn/

Would you guys welcome a reboot or do you want the current continuity to continue no matter what?

No one knows, because no one knows anything about the movie yet. Let's keep as much speculation as possible in the existing thread on the buyout/Episode VII, or in the Episode VII forum.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Disney as brought up By both Angery Joe of the Angery Joe Show and Confused Matthew isnt known for overtly messing with the properties they accquier.

Marvel for Example, no continuity reeboot, no massive shift in characters that werent already in the works. I serously doubt they are going to mess with the EU as stated it will not involve (Episode 7) the Skywalker clan. and My Take place at any time from 1000 years in the future too whatever.

3. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    This has already been pointed out by people who are far more knowledgeable about the EU then I am, but there might already be some sort of plan to accommodate the EU and the new movies with each other. The last book of FotJ went out of its way to incorporate elements from TWC's Mortis story arc into the story. Since the Mortis stuff was made up by Lucas, it's possible that he also incorporated this in the story treatments he wrote for the new movie. Think about it.

AbelothIsSexy and kataja like this.
  4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    That is impossible at this point because it's so ingrained into the fabric of the EU. The worst that could happen is that the continuity splits and TTT is only canon in the PT-OT-EU universe instead of the PT-OT-ST universe.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd rather not think about FotJ's ridiculously literal interpretation of Mortis having anything to do with the ST.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I agree, but the ST is GL's idea... and I would definitely not put it past him. The upshot is that the EU becomes part of the official continuity in the scenario I've outlined.

7. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Episode VII will effect the EU just like Episodes I thru VI did. Not sure why people would think differently.

8. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    I'd imagine it's probably the correct interpretation. Assuming this Mortis stuff really is going to be important I doubt they wouldn't check with Lucas first .

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed. :/

I originally liked it as some whacked out mutual vision, but if they're revisiting it in TCW that definitely leans more toward the literal FOTJ take on things.

10. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    This is what I was thinking. I think large sections of the EU post Jedi will have to be thrown out.
    If Leia hasn't had children in E7 or if they are not called Jacen or Jaina even the Thrawn Trilogy won't stand up to the new continuity.

If this is the case, I'd love to see a special edition of those books to alter them to line up with where we are in E7.

Unlike many of the other novels, the Thrawn Trilogy is simply too good to be thrown out of continuity.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Not sure how the OT gets lumped in there.

Needless to say, this will be far more dramatic, assuming (conservatively) that the ST hits the same block of land taken up by the Bantam shenanigans. It'll tear that stuff asunder, and a great deal of classic Star Wars literature OK-ish Star Wars literature will be made arcane and nonsensical obsolete.

It's not quite like the PT running roughshod over... what? That story from the Marvel run where Obi-Wan runs around in a purple robe and looks as old as he did in ANH, randomly killing passengers on a starliner?

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    you really think episode 7 is going to take place any where near the end of episode 6?

Disney is not stupid, episode 7 is going to take place a century to a millenium way from episode 6

13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I doubt it'll be that far forward in the timeline. I can see GL's story treatment definitely wanting Luke as the Yoda/Kenobi of the new trilogy... so I suspect 30-50 years since ROTJ.

AbelothIsSexy likes this.
  14. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I wouldn't welcome a reboot. Lucas allowed all these stories to be told and we've bought them and hated them and loved them - to see them just written over would be worst kind of powermisuse to me. Particularly as they have plenty of playground further down the timeline.

That said, I could accept some changes if it was vital to breaking the new ground. The OT moved the time and probably nature of the Clone Wars, f.ex. - that's what happens inevitably, when you try to push many stories into the same universe that doesn't even exist. The main point is, that I ask for respect for whats been done, as well as the fans who've invested in it - and who've kept the boat saling all these years.

Another things is then, taht I think it would be outright stupid if they mess with the EU. Terribly many fans would be offended and all the EU books would just lay there as some kind of 'semi' stories. A fresh generation further down the time line, however, wouldn't offend any one bĂșt would be possibilities only! And the renewed interest for SW would lead new readers to the already existing stories, wich would up the profits even more. Its a win-win situation

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I could see my kids being confused as to why this bookshelf full of Star Wars books and comics that I have isn't what happened at all. And then I'll have to explain to them how Disney bought Star Wars and decided to render all those stories null and void...

16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My kid would probably just tell me I'm lying about what's in those books.

Also it really depends on how much is changed. I mean is Truce at Bakura ruined now that Anakin appears as a young ghost in ROTJ? That image of her father surely would have changed Leia's initial reaction. Surely even if they try to stick to some of the EU story line we will have 100's of little quirks to fix.

Zorrixor and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Right - everybdoy says "Oh, it's okay, Disney did great with The Avengers!" And then I'm like, "But Avengers is not canon!"

Zorrixor likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So? I'd still rather not think about it. I'll throw myself off that bridge when we come to it, thanks. ;)

I'm increasingly viewing that as less of an upshot, if I'm honest. :p

Good to have you back, by the way!

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    What can I say... the double onslaught of George Lucas and Troy Denning drained me of my enthusiasm for Star Wars. Batman, wuxia, and new TMNT have more than filled the void though.

This Disney development though.. it's intriguing. I was a doomsayer for a couple days, but now I'm pulling for all the things I hated about Apocalypse to be the story for the ST... just to keep the EU in tact. Haha.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Possibly, but Joe Quesada said no more mutants, less than what 2 years after disney bought Marvel they managed to execute the return of mutants. Whether this is because Quesada is no longer EIC or that the Avengers movies happend I can't say for sure. but Gorge is Creative Consultant just like Gene Roddenberry was made creative consultant which all means they generally have no say.

Star Fleet got Militerized in Wrath of Khan, and eventually Deep Space 9 got green lit.

I know Disney is diffrent from Paramount none uf us can tell the future, we all gotta just wait and see.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I just don't see disney wanting to recast three of the most iconic characters in cinema history without it being a remake. They did a Tron sequel when it probably would have made more sense to just don a full on remake/reboot. And they didn't recast for a young Jeff Bridges, they experimented with doing it CGI. I think it makes moresense for themade to jump forward further and show a Luke Skywalker that is of and age with Mark Hamill. Maybe older.

Zorrixor and kataja like this.
  22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Lucas has a history of shooting his films overseas, ie: England, Australia, Tunisia, etc. If Disney shoots Episode 7 somewhere in the EU, it would be a great help for their struggling economy.

Valin__Kenobi and Riven_JTAC like this.
  23. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    There are some interesting ideas in this thread, but it contains the worst grammar and spelling I've seen on TFN in a long time.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oooh, that's an interesting idea, I hadn't actually thought about that. He then really would be the "Yoda" character in more than just his position in the Jedi Order.

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If Luke was wearing a black cloak (he has worn black before), walking hunched over with a cane, and has jaundice ... it would lead to certain amusing assumptions ...

Zorrixor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.