main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I cheched the net for some Luke-casting ideas and it didn't exactly calm me.
    Andrew Garfield, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt...:(
    Garrett Hedlund, Michael Pitt, Topher Gravce, Charle Hunnam, Paul Dano, Scott McClure and Anton Yelchin
    Most of these are chosen because they'r hot right now or because of their cool-quality I can't say I know most of them, but a few clicks on YouTube definitely made me balk. Paul Dano was intense - but I hate to say I'd lilke my Luke a bit more... dashing... ScottMcClure has something but Anton Yelchin was more like it. Actually Yelchn was th eonly one who seemed even a little towards the right kind. But as for lost of them - gotta quote Stackpole: "You're good - but you're no Luke Skywlaker!"

I think the problem with castin/writing Luke is partly his many facets that even writers tend to forget (the farmboy, the rogue and later the JediMaster) - but also the fact that in his bascis - he's not cool at all!!!. I've met a lot of people who don't like Mark Hamill - and I think this is becasue he play the role full out - exposing the nerve - and that makes many people crinche! No, Luke isn't cool - but he learns how to become it!!! And problem with him in mature age is, that there should still be an inch of this nerve close to surface!!! I honestly can't see many do that. :(

Then, of course, the Mara castings are even worse. "Give Christina Hendricks a lightsaber ". Gaaaahhhhhh!!!!!:_|

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    okay so Disney took over lucasfilm, did they take over lucasarts too?

3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    exactly all of those are must haves. Although I think the Captain captures that ;)

still if Ewan McGregor can portray a young Obi-wan successfully then another actor can portray an older Luke. The question is which actor could do it.

we have had some bad portrayals before....but only in the books agreed this is new ground.

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    K, I wouldn't worry about those since they seem to be based on rumors. Also check the age range these are actors in their 20's-30's Luke will probably be in his 40's and 50's.

and yes JM they own LucasArts and ILM too I believe

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yes they got everything.

And yeah all those actors are too young given the PT and OT, a time jump is likely to be around 20 years at minimum.

6. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Well, it's not like it's easier to find a "right" actor just because he's supposed to be older...

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    depends on the actor and their range. I don't have a clue who could best portrayed Luke in his 40's-50's but I'm sure it's possible.

8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    :p Oh, boy! I have no idea how I'm going to get caught up here! ;)

Jedi Ben:
    And for me, it would also INCLUDE the Legacy comics!

Well, when I first started reading the EU books, it seemed that the authors were only interested in writing a good story. I don't know that they thought about continuity, except in relationship to the films themselves. Books were written in all sorts of order.

I feel the same way about that!

Let's hope it is!!!!

That would definitely be cool!

And with Disney, we just might get that!

Dawud:
    That's true, D. However, that book was preceded by 18 other books, most of which had terrible Luke characterizations and roles. So, I'm willing to give up TUF in order to lose the rest of them.

I suppose it's possible, but I really don't think that's likely, especially given the comments about the ST being a completely new story. They even specifically said to forget everything you thought you knew about Luke's future. That, to me, says they're not planning to include the EU stories.

My biggest fear is that they will follow Lucas' edict and not allow Luke to marry and have a family. Not only would I be personally very disappointed and think that would be tragic for Luke, but also, I think it would be detrimental to future SW films. I think having a Skywalker son/daughter of Luke's to follow into the future would be the best way to provide continuity among the films.

I really HATE Abeloth and that whole Mortis thing, so I will be very annoyed if that's going to be what the ST will be about!

I don't know that they could even start a film there, as the galaxy would be SO devastated by that war, and the YV would be pretty hard to explain, I think.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree, 4 good Luke moments, especially considering that this particular series involved NINETEEN BOOKS is definitely NOT enough! Plus, as I said above, I don't think that the time period right after TUF would be a good place to set a new SW film, because the galaxy should be quite devastated at that point. The worlds, like Coruscant and Yavin IV are pretty much unrecognizeable at the end of that war. And the idea of aliens from another galaxy with biological technology never did seem all that Star-warsy to me.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I think that Anakin, despite being in the NJO only through SbS, still had far more high points than Luke did. And, no, I can't really recommend the NJO to Luke fans either, except for a very few books.

kataja:
    I agree with that, even though I'm afraid we probably won't see Mara as Luke's wife or deceased wife in the new film. (If we even see Luke at all.... which I certainly HOPE we do!) But I do hope that we get to meet Luke's child/children in the new films.

I really hope that Disney doesn't pay attention to Lucas' plans about an unmarried Luke. I don't even see how that would be beneficial to the SW franchise. (not having a Skywalker son/daughter to follow into the future) I think the last name of Skywalker is so heavily associated with SW that it be silly, disappointing, and detrimental to the new films to totally eliminate the Skywalker name. Even if Han and Leia do have children who would be descendants of Anakin Skywalker, their last name would be Solo. I want to see Skywalker AND Solo offspring!

I hope we at least get to see Mark again as Luke, even if it's just for a short time. But I agree that they will probably focus on a new cast early on. I'm hoping that we'll meet these new characters through Luke as their Jedi Grandmaster.

That's what I'm hoping to see too!

Yes to all of the above!!!!!

I hope you're right!

More another time!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    ChildOfWinds
    A completely new story also = 'not an adaptation of an existing work', does it not?

Please don't ask me to dig out the post (somewhere within 50 pages and counting!), but someone alleged that that wasn't said by an official source, but by a journalist or other type of commentator.

It seems that the idea is getting some traction in the Ep7 section.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/could-mortis-have-something-to-do-with-episode-7.50005561/

Don't forget that the Mortis storyline originated in TCW - it's not really about the Clone Wars, it seems to fit in with GL's exploration of the Force and Disney might go for it. Also a handy place to park Luke (and anyone else that GL doesn't want to see get killed off) to be more-or-less untouchable!

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Also this (FWIW) has appeared on the main thread:-

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I dunno Tim there seems to be a lot of rumors from "reliable" sources that contradict each other. I'm starting to think we might have to wait til we get an official synopsis

agreed my guess since this is Disney mind you the movies might go beyond the ST, think other eras for the movies post ST. I imagine from a financial perspective it would be an easy way to go with the more familiar aspects of Star Wars, stormtroopers, empire, rebels, droids, etc. Maybe Episode 7 continues on with the final defeat of the Empire, as well as the development of the NJO. After ROTJ, Luke and the New Republic still have a lot of work cut out for them, which makes me think it's likely the ST will start somewhere in the NR era.

NJO contributed to an aloof, indecisive, and Force exhaustive Luke. I don't want to read any of that.

12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    According to the write-up it has a better-than-average track record; and that came up on the TFN front page, unless I miss my guess. Does LFL do this sort of thing to wind-up the fans, do you think; because letting all of us know when the ST is going to be set isn't going to be any sort of spoiler - or is it...?

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Nah you got the info dead on ;) but any movies with this much anticipation usually has a lot of contradicting "facts". The fact the source doesn't have a name though makes it sketchy by default.

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Watergate's "Deep Throat" didn't have a name at the time either! Should Woodward and Bernstein have considered that information "sketchy by default"? For all we know he/she might be a LFL employee - he/she certainly claims to have insider contacts!

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    dude this is the movie industry, you know how many rumors there were for The Dark Knight Rises and Avengers ? :pThere are always going to be "sketchy" rumors all I'm saying is take it with a grain of salt.

16. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I heard a RL Science report on the radio the other day saying that underwater ROVs were in process of development based on the octopus. They've apparently got to the stage where a prototype tentacle can pick up a pound (£) coin. So the Vong biotech isn't too fantastic, IMHO. The Vong were a welcome break from megalomaniac warlords and Dark-side Force Users. Also, GL had apparently vetoed Dark-side Fouce Users (of any description) due to the PT.

Which will almost invariably invite comparisons with the current storyline - and considering that it's the era where Zahn, Stackpole and Allston were major contributors, all producing very good stories, I expect that those who experience both will probably say "The EU did it better"!

As becomes apparent during the NJO, the Vong's peculiarity re. the Force poses an almost insoluble problem for Luke (and one that is very much in-character); namely does he lead the Order into a fight that would likely turn into genocide, and thereby straight into the arms of the Dark-side?

17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Steve Sansweets blog on starwars.com:

"Sometimes after Epsode VI" sounds almost as 'sometimes close to EVI' Then again, how muhc does Sansweet know? How much is decided even now? Alas, this is going to be a troubled time...

I have it the same way! For years, I was sortof ok with Luke maybe going hermit, before I knew of the EU - but after being introduced to Mara, just can't but think how good she is for him!!! Besides, It was easier to be ok with soemthing taht was maybe/maybe not - it kinda allowed hope...

Agreed!!!

That would be good news indeed. If we coudl trust them. ;)

Another good point.

I never quite got why fighting the Vong would become geonicide, at least until that toxin whatever was invented. And surely the Vong's actions spoke for themselves - did the Jedi really need to Force to read them? As you can see, I never quite got that argumnet, and I think it wasn't very well explained.

18. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    They never surrendered - always fought to the death! Part of their culture - until they found a seedling of their former homeworld and all their biots rejected their shaping.

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    at this point anything new with SW will be criticized by fans, while if it's justifiable criticism or not is another question. Another thing that could be worrisome though is GL's mantra of the EU being an alternate universe. Yet wasn't Alaya Secura an EU contribution ?

I think Invasion probably had the best approach instead of holding back or attack the enemy he opts for the best option of rescuing refugees and assisting in evacuations. The mystery of the Vong and the Force shouldn't cause hesitation in Luke from helping out in the war effort.

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Aah. That was why! I still think Luke was written a bit strange, though. He was fine in Vector Prime where he ws active and in front but while he had good scenes in Stackploes two novels, he overall seemed much more reticent. And while I generally liked Keyes contributions, I remember there was one scene taht seemed very off key - Luke speaks to the Jedi - but at one point it becomes apparent that he isn't as sure as he's trying to be. This always seemed oddd to me. Why would Luke of all people, be afraid to show weakness? Thinking about it, it's maybe consistent with much how he's been portrayed ever since JAT, but I still find it strange. Basically I don't see Luke as a guy who pretends he's in control of somoethign he's not.. That, of course, would be both the weakness and strength of his leadership.

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    You're right. We're horrible -w e're a monster. i was thnking of that as I drove home today. As for me personally, I've waisted so much time trying to be positive to the EU, that I'd feel betrayed if it was all for nothing. And then there's all the EU that I love... :( All emotions fade i time, of course, but...

I think so. And so was Coruscant and several other things. The EU is very much alive - question is, will the post ROTJ EU remain so?

I agree completely. And as mucha s I loved to see so many Luke & Mara moemnts as we got inn NJO, tehy seemed strange too when you knew the galaxy was at war and others were out fighting. Not like Luke at all! Invation balances this nicely.

22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Tim Battershell:
    Yes, it does. As much as I would like to keep Zahn's stories and characters in the canon, I really don't think it's going to happen. I think Disney will just plan a story that will be consistent with the earlier films and that's about it. I think they wouldn't be able to keep all of the EU, so what do they cut out? They would get angry responses from some fans no matter what they do. If they include everything, people who don't read the EU likely won't be happy. If they include none of the EU, the EU people will be unhappy. If they only include part of the EU, say up until VotF, EU fans of NJO and other series will be annoyed. So, I think it's just simpler for them to consider the EU to be a separate timeline and tell the story they want to tell without trying to shoehorn some or all of the EU into the story.

I really want Mara to be part of the canon, but I'm afraid I'm not going to get my wish. I can only hope that Luke was able to have a family even if it can't be Mara and Ben in the ST.

I think it was also based on a comment by someone who was fairly reliable. This was posted on the TFN.net main page. So, who knows? We're getting claims that go all over the map and that contradict one another. I think we just don't know at this point.

Well, I really hope not, because I really wouldn't like it even if it would keep Luke from getting killed off. We'll see, I guess.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree, MS!

I don't either, and I don't want them to start right after the NJO because, as I said, the galaxy would be a mess and they'd have to try to explain the YV.

Tim Battershell :
    I wouldn't put it past them to "wind up" the fans! ;)

More later....

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It is not practical for Disney to alientate the entire star wars fanbase. They need to be careful where and how they tread.

and yes JM they own LucasArts and ILM too I believe

good, it's not that Lucas arts knows how to put a good game out anymore.

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well on the bright side Luke will most likely be a key character but on the negative this could conflict with established EU but who knows maybe just maybe Mara will be in it and maybe it's a soft reboot. [face_praying]

hey [:D] I know what you mean, For a while I been trying to grasp at something positive for Luke in the Legacy era and being frustrated for it....Mara's death was the point of no return for me and what Del-Rey has planned for Luke doesn't have me thrilled as much either. Still one thing to consider even if the new movies erased the EU, the books that you cherished still exist. Even if they're considered an AU they still have the aspect of enjoyment that no one can take away from you. I'm still planning to collect the TTT to have it set nearby my collection of SOTE, Mindor, Dark Empire 1, HoT,SQ, Invasion, TUF, and DN. And who knows maybe there will be something positive with the new movies.

also if Splinter of the Mind's eye is still considered canon then that's a good sign. :)

well there are a couple of years unaccounted for when Luke was a jedi knight to his progression as a young jedi master. I expect them to take what they like of the NR era and discard the rest.

right it seem inconsistent at best, Invasion solves the problem but sadly the issue still stands in the early books.

not to mention NJO out of all the eras seems the most sci-fi than space fantasy/opera

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Ported over from the "Speculation on Mortis" thread;

The YouTube clip is interesting - plus Mortis has allegedly been directly referenced in "Book of the Sith" and received disguised references in "Darth Plagueis". The Nightsister leader mentioned in DP also allegedly appears in "Book of the Sith"!

And now we have a very direct reference in Apocalypse as well!

All this exposure, so suddenly, smells distinctly fishy to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.