main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Official Sequel Trilogy - Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 31, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You know, I just realized... there's no reason Thrawn can't be back even if it's 20-30 years post RoTJ? Remember the Empire of the Hand's basement... it wouldn't be like Thrawn not to have a second cloning cylinder hidden away somewhere.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I was just as surprised as you were. Just a lot earlier and spread over time. :D

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    God it feels surreal to have this Forum up & official. Crazy. Are we really discussing this?

JainaSoloYJK and IsoBanValian like this.
  4. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Han: It's 106 light years to Coruscant, we got a fully charged hyperdrive, half a pack of death sticks, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Luke: Hit it.

Uncle Owen and IsoBanValian like this.
  5. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    It'll be Stacy like she did in Pink Five Strikes Back.

6. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    You know... I actually really like the general idea you came up with. Not having the Sith as the villians would be a bold change for the series and would take it in new directions. Which could be good or bad, depending on how it's done. I was actually thinking the same thing earlier today. I do feel like the Jedi need to be the main protagonists though, as it just wouldn't be Star Wars without them. I feel like the Sith thing has been played out at this point, and I think it would be neat to see a new kind of threat that the Jedi would have to deal with. What kind of threat? I have no idea at this point. Just something different. I would like to see Luke in the mentor role of course, and I think it would be interesting to have the protagonist be a female jedi. There's a huge opportunity here to do something a little different and surprise people (hopefully in a good way). Although, I will be happy with anything. I just want more Star Wars!!

IsoBanValian likes this.
  7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I really can't see there being a new Star Wars trilogy without the Sith featuring in some way. From a marketing perspective alone that would be crazy. Bearing in mind there will be most be likely a new set of characters to follow, they will want as many classic SW elements to build around as possible.

8. GRIEVOUS2

GRIEVOUS2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2004
    Great to be back reading spoilers!

9. Chief_Spirit_of_Evil

Chief_Spirit_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    I can certainly see the films reflecting the theme of "pass on what you have learned", especially considering what Lucas has just done - passing on the saga to a new generation.
    Hamill and co definitely need to be involved in this, even if it's in cameo form. Hamill as the old Jedi Master sounds fun to me.
    Not sure what they could do with Han and Leia or more to the point, how they could avoid it being a bit silly. I'd personally add some 'real' drama in from the get-go and kill off Leia.
    I say this because it would give Ford something to play with and thus a reason to come back.

So where can the story go? I'm not too worried by this. Star Wars only really became the tragedy of Vader with the prequels, before then it was just about Luke really. For me, Star Wars can always be made to be relevant and thus have a compelling story.
    The original trilogy reflected post-Vietnam America and was very much the good vs evil story needed at the time.
    The prequels reflected the grey between the black and white - very much post-911.
    The new trilogy can thus be made to reflect the world in some way today. It can be relevant and any story can be written to make it so. The Star Wars Universe is full of possibilities and potentially great characters. It can be great...once more.

Why do the original cast need to be involved though?
    There does need to be a link between the other films for it to really feel like Star Wars - and Artoo and Threepio aren't enough to achieve this.
    'We' need to feel a part of this world again and it is these characters that can bring that. If this story didn't include Luke and friends then it would seem contrived, detached and irrelevant. What's more, why would it need to be 'Episode 7'? The 'episode' format reflects the idea of one big story. If there aren't any old characters then really it's a new story altogether.

I'm excited. Get the right team together. Do the characters and story justice. Star Wars could be better than ever...

Note: As for the baddie, I like the Darth Plagueis angle. It brings mystery and ties in with the other films. It might go a little more supernatural, but perhaps a Voldemort horcrux idea would work with this? And the next generation of Skywalker/Jedi need to face that as well as shape the New Republic...

10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    To me Han seems like a character that would die young and so might already be dead. Leia I can see being the queen of the new galactic government.

11. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke only Jedi? Um No.

12. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Interesting. No telling how reliable the source is though.

13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    My guess is not at all.

14. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    Get ready for the onslaught of "SuperShadow" style reports from "insiders" with no track record of accuracy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep. You know they're coming. This is the moment they've been dreaming of.

Reminds me of the old Bosh Talkron days...

16. Gilrod

Gilrod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    The thing about Coruscant is that the concept solely belonged to Lucas and was a possibility for the Emperor's home planet in ROTJ. Before they went with the second Death Star, there were going to be two Death Stars orbiting Had Abadon, the Imperial homeworld, which was a planet entirely covered by a city. So, although the name Coruscant came directly from Zahn, the concept did not.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that if elements appear that are similar to EU, it will be mostly coincidental.

I think Disney will let Kathleen and Co. mostly decide what goes into this movie.

Darth Vader? No way, get that out of your head. Ain't happenin.'

The other characters? Probably at some will make an appearance, but I don't think they will be the main characters that the plot is built around. Maybe those who we are not expecting to show up (Billy Dee will return as Lando? Temuera Morrison as a clone that has been re-cloned?).

I hope they stay out of Tattoine. Some elements of the story can just become tired; in a whole universe of planets, everything can't continue to so much involve this out of the way desert planet. Move on to different planets.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    The "Rule of Two" died with Palpatine.

19. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    yeah, if they do bring the Sith back, I would like to see a Sith Army. Let their new leader have ditched the old Sith way. Would be great to see Jedi vs Sith action on the scale of the TOR cinematic trailers.

Although having said that, on the whole I'd like to see a move back towards the "excalibur" style of fighting seen in ESB and ROTJ. TPM's duel was great but throughout the PT there was too much flashy twirling around and one-handed duelling. The sabers of the OT felt properly heavy.

20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I want a ship to be a part of the trilogy. The X-Wing felt like it was Luke's. The Falcon Han's. I always liked Slave I, give that to the protagonist.

21. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I wanna see Mara Jade and Bastila...although Bastlia, I doubt but Mara Jade I can see being featured...love to see Kate Beckinsale as her though...

[​IMG]

Now I am thinking of writing a sequel involving Mara and her latest mission to kill Luke Skywalker ...but that's been done in the Thrawn Trilogy...

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, it died with Tahiri's redemption.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Not in the movies! 1% of the new audience will know who Tahiri is. I don't even know who that is 'cause I stopped reading the post ROTJ stuff before TPM came out, I'm only catching up now. I doubt it'll be taken into much consideration.

24. GlobalMurrkitts

GlobalMurrkitts Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I really do think that the sequel trilogy should be as original as possible, however, for continuity sake, I think they should perhaps show Naboo, even if it's a brief second, or at least mention Naboo. What I mean is that they should find ways to bridge all the trilogies, I mean, just have little things like showing a gungan, or the millenium falcon, or a mention of Lando...I mean, I'm pretty sure Coruscant will be in it, so it would be nice to go back to the Jedi temple. Heck, maybe even go back to Endor, I don't know, you get the point in that I hope they mention, show or do whatever they can to bridge all the trilogies, to make it feel more cohesive but at the same time going to new places and being completely original.

25. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I have a feeling there's going to be some not-insiginficant efforts to distance the story from the prequels. Before you kill me with sticks ( :) ) I'll add that this doesn't mean they'll pretend the prequels didn't happen or that they're wrong....but I think the upfront announcement that the stories will be "all original" is a public implication that the filmmakers are going to deliberately unburden themselves of trying to weave together the stuff that works really really well with the stuff that works...perhaps slightly less well. :) They're going to worry, perhaps, less about continuity and more about making awesome films that are a bit more in line with the original trilogy's style and aesthetic than with the prequels.

In other words, I would expect some respect and nods to the prequel films...but I wouldn't count on the sequel films being overly concerned with referencing them either in terms of characters or story. So I wouldn't expect anything political (certainly with regard to the Trade Federation, Separatists, the Senate, etc) and I wouldn't expect much of anything to be done with anything we see in the Clone Wars series now.

In other words...this is a whole new bag, baby.

Its also another good reason I wouldn't expect much out of the Sith. Bear in mind, Star Wars is for everybody, not just the more strident fans like us. And while we know a lot of the back stories (in the form of EU material, TCW, etc), to the public at large all that stuff (Rule of Two, etc) isn't very important. In fact, its not important at all.

As far as locations and settings we've already seen...I'm much, much more interested in seeing places we haven't seen before. ;)