main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Official Sequel Trilogy - Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 31, 2012.

1. GlobalMurrkitts

GlobalMurrkitts Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    IsoBanValian, I somewhat agree with you in that I am much more interested in seeing new places, however, I think there has to be at least some integration. Just because this is an "all original" story does not mean it's going to somewhat ignore what had already transpired. This is 7-8-9, not a completely "new story" or a "whole new bag." NOW, all that being said, you're right, it really shouldn't be too concerned about referencing every little thing that happened in the prequels or the originals, but there should be some integration, some reference, some things that make it glue together, even if it is minor.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Taken in context I believe "an original story" means "not based on EU" and nothing more.

3. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    Okay..think of it this way. Integration is a given. I've seen a lot of comments in the forums that seem to be telling me that a lot of people seem concerned that "an original story" (as Disney has said) means its not Star Wars.

I think the reason this is worrisome for me is that when a writer is coming up with a good, compelling story...the last thing he/she is going to try to do is keep a checklist handy of all the things that have to be referenced to keep the hardcore of the hardcore fans happy. This is what happened with Star Trek (and why there's a multitude of Star Trek fans who hate on a perfectly awesome reincarnation of their thing. :) )

So 7,8,9 will integrate but I suspect they will integrate much more naturally than George integrated the prequels into the originals. Otherwise you'll end up with "hey look kids, its Lando jr talking with Lobot Jr....and they're hanging out on Bespin. :)

Somebody earlier said something about how Disney should worry about how to help fans "manage their expectations" in regard to the sequels. But I think its as simple as everybody just sitting back and enjoying the ride to someplace new, not necessarily expecting disaster because our favorite planets, species, or characters are shoved out in front of the camera for 4 seconds of "hey, look at this...remember this???"

Lets face it...the fact that Disney is making these films is un-befracking-leivable. I am still in shock. No exaggeration. I'm in shock. Honestly, I'm in my early 30s...and I never, ever thought I'd see a new Star Wars film again. And honestly, after the prequels...I wasn't sure I really wanted to. Star Wars kind of lives in our imaginations better than it does on the screen, anyway. The first three films sort of made that happen not because of what they showed us, but because George (at the time, anyway) and the creative people involved knew that it was better to hint at this vast, amazing universe and let our imagination fill in the rest.

The prequels sort of, well, started filling in the rest for us. And the "amazing" thing that lives in your own imagination sort of overrules reality most of the time. The prequels showed us that George still had these amazing ideas...but that maybe he'd gotten a little rusty on some of the rules of storytelling that people like Kirshner and Bracket were there to help him with back in the early 80's. So he wanted to give us everything. But giving us everything...where Vader came from, that the Force is about midichlorians, all the space politics, etc...actually sort of took away the stuff already swimming in our imaginations.

The people at Disney are smart. They have a keen understanding of this kind of stuff. Because they're fans too just like George could never be.

I think this is going to be awesome.

4. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I'm certainly expecting references to be made to the original trilogy and the prequels, and no doubt some of the places we've seen before will also be in the sequels. I'm certain Tatooine will play an important role, probably be seen in at least two of the episodes, if not all three. But as far an "original" story, I think they were just saying it will not be based on any EU novels, but rather a story written by George and whatever other writer is helping.

5. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I'll make you a bet....Tattooine won't even feature. :)

Also, I'm guessing George's contribution will be a very broad framework that will be subject to the new writer's discretion, rather than the other way around. George is, I think, pretty much done. They've left the situation open so that there is a door open as 'creative consultant', and there will be some interaction undoubtedly in an informal sense...but every gesture and word in the announcement interview said "I'm finished."

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Not so sure about C'Baoth... "Evil clone of a hero" seems cliche to me...

7. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I'd be really surprised if Tatooine was not even in one of the sequels. They're going to want some solid connections with the other movies, especially the original trilogy, and there's no place more Star Wars than Tatooine. :)

As far as the writing, yeah, we don't know the details, but George will be providing at least the outline and themes of the story, I think. And as long as he's consulting on it, then I hope that that special Star Wars style and atmosphere that's in the movies will be maintained.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wouldn't mind seeing some new Force powers. I understand that Luke can apparently do crazy stuff in the EU, but I wouldn't mind something even like an invisibility/stealth.

It was so badass watching ROTJ when you saw Luke's entrance in Jabba's Palace and he so clearly was more composed and more of a threat.

9. Darth Swede

Darth Swede Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    My biggest fear is that they will try to tie it too closely to the OT, or do the usual Hollywood trick when producing sequels (i.e. essentially remaking the previous movie in slightly different clothes). Examples:
    - Palpatine survives (possibly in form of force gost or clone)
    - New Death Star
    - Boba Fett is back, or even worse: his son/daughter!
    - New Hutt crime lord with similar role/prominence as Jabba
    - Too many references to OT characters and plotlines (Han's and Leia's kid going on an adventure with Chewbacca's kid et.c.) The prequels had too much of this stuff - baby Greedo, C3PO being made by Anakin et.c. The galaxy should be larger than this...
    - Darth X. Do we need another Darth? Maybe some other kind of villain.
    - Evil mastermind uses Force Lightning
    - Bringing back all the old actors. Sure, maybe Mark Hamill could feature in some way, but if he is accompanied by Carry Fisher, Billy Dee, Harrison Ford et. al. it will look like a bad high school reunion.
    - Movie ends with awards ceremony

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Female Skywalker eh?

So GL was bull****ing about Luke never getting married.:p

11. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Female Skywalker probably means Mara Jade

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    "Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker."

13. the_sinister_hologram

Nov 3, 2012
    Offspring of the Skywalkers...Leia is a Solo. Luke is the only Skywalker (by name) left. And notice - it is offspring of the SkywalkerS. Plural.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Have you heard the latest rumour? I personally think it’s bogus. Taken from the news section of theforce.net:

I believe the other one over this one more. If it’s based further out than fifty years after ROTJ, why bother calling it Episode VII? I'm sorry, but for the new trilogy to be comprised of Episodes 7, 8 and 9 means that they are a sequel trilogy, just like Episode 1, 2 and 3 was a prequel trilogy. I will be incredibly dissapointed if the above rumour turns out to be true.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    In the vein that the OT referenced Nazism/British Empire, and then moved on to Vietnam on Endor, and the PT referenced the slow descent into tyranny with the erosion of rights and the rise of corporate lobbying in the US Senate, I wonder if the ST will involve neo-Imperial extremist terrorists or some-such, fighting for the survival of the Imperial way. I have no idea, but there is often an underlying theme somewhere that correlates to real life.

Garth Maul likes this.
  16. JarJarBiafra

JarJarBiafra Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    Will/should the new movies be in 3d?

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    By 2015 they'll be 6-D Smellovision.

JarJarBiafra likes this.
  18. the_sinister_hologram

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, Luke can live a really, really long life. So can Leia. So can (eventually) Katarn and Jade, since they're both Jedi.
    But that also means no Lando, no Han, no Chewie, no Jar-Jar, anyone who was not a Force-sensitive around the OT era. Because they'll be dead and all that...
    But that doesn't exclude appearances of their children (who would be Force-sensitive).
    Threepio and Artoo have good batteries so they're immortal anyway.
    I admit, though...I have mixed feelings about this "news".

Then again, producers trying to spread false rumors is not unheard of before. Even if these guys really do have connections at Lucasfilm, they could be fed false info just to throw everything in confusion...until the actual official news.
    The tactic of throwing people off-course is not new.

19. JarJarBiafra

JarJarBiafra Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars:Episode VII:Smell The Jedi

20. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Okay, you asked for it...

"Lobot" will be back!!! As a

IceCream Maker Guy will have more than 31 flavors at his remote store on Hoth.

The Ewoks will make toupes out of their fur sheddings.

We will get to see the Aluminum Falcon.

The ET's will make a guest appearance.

21. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    "What the %$@!? is an Aluminum Falcon???" Lol

I need to go watch that again. Heh.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  22. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Aren't we supposed to be getting a new video every week??

23. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Setting the ST further out than 50 years would be okay if there had been some logical set-up in the OT. Like Luke saying something about his plans for the future or Han and Leia talking about growing old together. Unless this new ST is going to "start from scratch" and give us new characters/plots/situations in the SW universe.

24. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
  25. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I've seen similar stuff about how "its all green screen anyway." And it was. With Lucas directing. But he's not in control anymore, and I strongly suspect the first thing that's going to be on the agenda is making sure that real sets and locations are used as much as possible. We'll see much less 'video game' backgrounds and more real places to runaround in.