main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Whats the deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Lucas has said in the last few years said there would not be a new series of movies. That it is about Anakin and its over. He seemed to think the idea was dumb to do more. Why he change his mind? Is this just cause Disney wants to do more?

2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He's let go. Don't worry about it. He's not in charge anymore.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    He has no personal desire to do more, but doesn't mind handing it on for others to do more.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think he doesn't want to do more but he recognizes that Star Wars has a new generation of fans and wants to keep the franchise alive for them. And that within the universe of the GFFA, there are many stories to be told outside of that of Anakin.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well according to recent reports he was planning the ST befor the he sold to Disney. He'd already written a treament for it even. And this is George we're talking about, he changes his mind every 5 minutes.

My guess is that he was tired of it, the fans caused him to after last years flame war, and he just wanted to move on.

One other thing to take into account is that Jorge wasn't as in to Star Wars as many of you fanboys seem to think.

6. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    "And this is George we're talking about, he changes his mind every 5 minutes"

I don't think he changes it. I just think he doesn't share it. If you wanted to make more Star Wars movies but had no plan to do so for X amount of time, whould you honestly say "Yes, working on more." If people thinking you are working on them, they expect them sooner than later, the media hounds you, and people stay saying "Well its been delated 12 years......."

7. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't care what is going on in his mind, I am glad we will be getting star wars for years to come.

lokus likes this.
  8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He changes his mind almost as much as Mitt Romney...but if you look at most of his quotes--he said he isn't making Episodes 7-9...

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Hopefully Lucas is more like Obama, and we now get 16 trillion episodes.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    He's doing this to make SW fans happy... right?

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Is "SW fans" a euphemism for wallet?

12. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    He said that, thus we believed he wouldn't. And that is exactly my point. We're talking about a guy thinks out every detail of his stories, who outlined Star Wars decades ago, has saved binders of notes since the 70's. And from a purely tactical, business standpoint.. Denial and delay build desire and anticipation….and so when he’s ready to see his movies made (by him or somebody else) we’re all chomping at the bit to get them…

13. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know why he changed his mind, but I am happy that he has done so. For nigh on 30 years I've wondered what the post-RotJ SWU looked like. The PT gave me a better visual as to what exactly a Jedi was that the OT couldn't fully do due to the obvious. After the PT I was even more excited and curious as to what Luke's rebuilt order would look like, that's why I started getting into the post-RotJ Del Rey books. Now that GL had made the announcement of a ST, my mind is thinking of all the possibilities of what it will be. The PT didn't turn out to be what I thought it was going to be, I still loved it, but I'm sure whatever the ST turns out to be it will be different then what it looks like in my mind today. Again I will adapt and enjoy it whatever form it takes. I'm excited and my love of Star Wars has been infused with a lot of new energy like it hadn't had in a few years. Thanks George, for Star Wars and for the change of heart.

Fettcrom likes this.
  14. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Great then we would have to use our money for Disney to make them

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Bib Fartuna like this.
  15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Also, the dude's 68. He can give up working hard. But he's okay with letting others work.
    Lucas has said that he doesn't see why he should go on when all people do is say terrible things about him.

16. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    He is still a creative consultant, much like Roddenberry was for trek. He is full of great ideas but his directing skills are a bit off these days so this probably the best thing for the franchise. He will probably be more involved than he plans to be, much like he is with the Clone Wars show. It needs some fresh blood.

I personally can not wait to see what happens and I'm more excited now than i was for the prequels because we had some idea what they would involve but the ST can go anywhere. Have faith fans. The future is bright.

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The film business is changing a lot these days to find what works. Lucas may have been influenced by the arrangement and the success of the Iron Man/Avengers Marvel franchise, and marveled at the possibilities. He can change his mind, and he also can't get away from STAR WARS. A "moment of clarity", an epiphany, whatever.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    My guess is that Lucas has had these movies in the back of his mind from very early on, but the time and difficulty involved in making them coupled with the desire to maintain complete control of his saga made him unsure of whether it would ever happen. Then when he started making the prequels and was immediately taken to task for it, he quickly decided that he would finish the prequel trilogy and be done with it. The prequels were financially successful and have inspired a new generation of fans, but I think the backlash burned him out on Star Wars and killed his passion for making those movies. With The Clone Wars he was able to step back and hand the reins to someone else while still being involved, and I think he was very pleased with the results and the success of that show. Therefore, he decided it was time to hand the reins of the movie franchise to someone he trusted to carry on his vision, while setting up a deal with a powerful media entity in order to secure the financing and continued ability for Lucasfilm to make its products without the headaches and penny-pinching that come along with being an independent production company. Now the Sequel Trilogy can be made and still conform to his vision of the Saga, but he can concentrate on things that still interest him, and he doesn't have to deal with the constant and often brutal negativity that gets thrown his way on a daily basis. It's kind of a win-win for him really at this point in his life.

Also, I agree that he will most likely end up being more involved than he plans to be, and probably moreso than he will even publicly admit, and I think it will be to the benefit of the Saga if he is.

DarthKreVass and Artoo-Dion like this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Didn't he explained that in the video they made? That's why they've done it in the first place: to explain the situation.

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    We're going to get a million new reasons to kvetch about Star Wars so the answer would be "yes".

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think he's been going back and forth on this in his mind while publicly denying it to avoid giving people false hope. The success of TCW (and I'm talking about artistic success, how well Filoni and co have handled his franchise) - coupled with Kathleen Kennedy taking over LFL - probably convinced him that he could safely pass his legacy on to the next generation. He just needed to know that it would be taken care of by the right people. He trusts KK and the others at LFL to manage Star Wars in true Lucas fashion.
    With the Disney deal on top of that, everything seems to have fallen into place. LFL will now be in a safe place, where it will be allowed to flourish and get all the funding it needs. Now was the perfect time to go public with the making of the Sequel Trilogy.

The time has come
    /LM

DarthKreVass likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    creative consultant in Hollywood terms doesn't mean much.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    He wanted to show that Star Wars was really important to fans and that he would ensure there would be future projects way after he's become one with the Force. The guy's a class act.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Totally.
    It means a lot to KK. She wanted him for support, so he'll support.

Support is needed
    /LM

25. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    No...because he immediately turned around and decided to give it away.