main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Episode 7 be PG-13?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, nothing extreme like that. I was talking about moving one way on the meter, not going to the end of the meter.

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    If it's a good movie, the rating doesn't matter to me.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I would be very surprised if it was PG-13. I'm thinking a U rating is most likely here in the UK.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd say yes on how the ratings system has rated similar movies in the last two years.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It seems everyone is bringing up the state of the politics of the rating system or whether they have personal feelings about the rating.

I was more talking about the content of the movie being more intense/adult or more tame/childlike. (i.e. more Sith/Empire or more Phantom/Jedi?)

6. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Oh, if that's your question...

I think it will be most like ANH by far. But still get a PG-13 rating. ANH could be pretty dark at times.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its impossible to know until we find out what the plot line of these movies is, but ROTS/ESB are the exceptions in the Star Wars saga. I'd expect a tone much closer to TPM and ROTJ rather than ROTS and ESB.

They will probably follow the earlier movies and have Episode VIII be much darker with Episode IX having a happy ever after conclussion.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Really don't think Empire qualified as PG-13.
    Have you seen Beowulf? That is only PG.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    ANH almost got a G rating. "Dark" is not enough for a rating, unless the thematic elements were super out there (like in RotS). There's kind of a checklist thing used for ratings - is there gore? Lots of action? Drugs? Drugs used by minors?

10. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    I think ANH would've been PG-13 due to its inclusion of blood and on-screen killing.

Generally those are two things that warrant PG-13 ratings.

11. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    I think ANH would've been PG-13 due to its inclusion of blood and on-screen killing.

Generally those are two things that warrant PG-13 ratings.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    On-screen killing is not enough to warrant PG-13. Neither is blood. At first, ANH was rated G (before the official release). Lucas went back in and added the shot of the Lars' remains to bump ANH up to PG, because he thought that teens wouldn't watch a G movie.

13. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Um, are you seriously comparing rating standards of 1977 to the ones of today?

Go watch any of those DC Comics Animated movies. They're all PG-13, and none of them are any more graphic than ANH.

14. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I don't mind some reasonable violence, even if it's a bit intense at times, as long as it's not overboard gory. But it should still be family-friendly. Star Wars, in spite of all the action, large-scale warfare and general mayhem, has always been good clean fun that even kids could watch. So it should remain squeaky clean on the morals, or else that just wouldn't be Star Wars. That doesn't mean it has to be made focusing on very young kids as the only audience, it should appeal to both kids and adults, as the original trilogy does.

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    that was 30 years ago, things are rated much differently now

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It probably will be a PG13 in the US and a 12 in the UK. Even since 2005, when it was a big talking point that ROTS was going to be the first PG13/12 rated Star Wars film, the film world has changed drastically. Nearly all summer blockbusters nowadays are rated PG13/12. It seems to be the most money-friendly rating. Still, could be a PG. But I don't see any lower than that.

17. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I'm expecting a hard NC-17. And directed by Eli Roth.

lol :D

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think it will be as tame as Hope, and certainly hope not; that is clearly PG if you look across the spectrum. I want it to have the level of entertainment that tyically reaches a PG-13, more along the lines of Sith.

From what Rick McCallum was saying, the live action TV series is WAY more adult; that coupled with the fact that the last movie in the series was PG-13 leads me to think it is more likely to be more of Sith/Empire type of movie; that looks to be the direction that the stories are headed.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly, thus I think this is a significant decision for a number of reasons.

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The first two prequels managed to get PG ratings simply because there wasn't much violence against humans, nor was there any sort of adult tension and situations at all. In our time, STAR WARS can easily be overlooked by members of the ratings board as "just" fantasy violence. No one cares about battle droids and Geonosians being chopped up, or lizard-like creatures crashing podracers. The overall tone helps keep specific violent acts (Anakin's arm being chopped off; Tusken Raiders getting beheaded) from being considered as heavy. The other films were PG simply because PG-13 didn't exist then. Now though, it takes really careful structuring and editing to keep a rating PG or even a "safe PG-13" (no on-screen shooting deaths in the last Indiana Jones film), and I really don't think audiences care that much anymore as PG-13 has practically become a general audience rating.
    A movie's perceived effect shouldn't be judged merely by a rating.

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, they have much more intense and frequent violence. The only really graphic thing in Hope was the arm being cut off (and the steaming bodies). The Avengers had much more violence and killing, especially the guy being stabbed in the back and bleeding out the mouth.

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't think I've seen any of those movies, but I do know that ANH nearly got a G rating.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    This is true. We see millions die in sci-fi movies and they get PGs and then we watch a Holocaust movie where tens die and that gets a R.

Why are we talking about this anyway? I don't think anybody here is an 8-year old who needs parental approval to see movies?

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    of course it will be PG-13, its not like its hard to get such a rating these days anyway. You can get away with plenty of combat violence and still be Pg-13

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    What I see a lot is that the only difference between a PG-13 movie and an R movie is drugs.