main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Future of Dark Horse Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Didn't Wookieepedia already conclude a few years ago that they are in the same continuity? :p

2. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Arent't people usually liking cross-overs ? (Providing they are on a separate continuity)

For my part, I would not see the trouble with ''Black Widow Imperial Hand'' (especially is she infitrates Jabba Palace)

3. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So Mara was Black Widow and everything we thought we knew about the EU was just a Marvel-Wars crossover all along? :p

Crucible better be the long awaited final battle of Luke Skywalker and Doctor Doom.

4. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    Frankly, I don't see why Luke Skywalker vs Doctor Doom (is he in Marvel, anyways) would be more ridiculous than Iron Man and Thor in the same movie.

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "My father wants his helmet back."

6. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    But imagine the potential of a retcon into which Scrooge McDuck is a member of the Separatist Alliance !

He could at least teach them some stuff about hostile takeovers and wealth acquisition, something the Separatists are apparently extremelly poor at.

(I'm JOKING, but man, did I loved Scrooge McDuck when I was young...)

7. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    And I assume because of his Scottish duck ancestry, he can also converse with Indiana Jones about the tapestries... ;)

8. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
  9. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    If marvel do get the licence back which I think they will the best thing might be a reboot. Dh created some of If not the best eu stuff esp the clone wars and marvel will not continue that standard.
    And I'd rather that no more of the dh timeline is wrecked. Tcw I'm looking at you.

And then I can choose to ignore it or treat if as AU

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    If by some miracle, the EU is preserved, I think LFL will be able to keep a leash on Marvel in terms of the continuity. They're able to do so with DH, even in a few cases where DH wanted to go off the reservation. If LFL decides to save the EU, then I think they'd continue to actively monitor continuity and storylines regardless of the publishers.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    When did DH go bonkers?

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    They never really went bonkers. Randy used to complain a bit about being required to maintain continuity some years back. There were a few times DH wanted to do something in a story that was prevented. I don't recall all the details.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think that might have been one of the original proposals for NJO, DHC did create Nom Anor after all.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    That was probably the biggest one. DH was planning their own invasion storyline and that got squashed as Del Rey was planning the NJO. Nom Anor was not originally planned for the NJO, but the DH storyline. There were some other instances though that I recall seeing comments by the DH folks either here in Lit or on the DH Star Wars board back in the day regarding things that we prevented by continuity that they wanted to do in some of their stories.

15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, as a fan who has followed DH SW comics since they came out with the superb "Dark Empire" series in the early '90's, I would be extremely disappointed if they lost the SW comic license to Marvel. They have done a truly incredible job with the license over the years, including the excellent color reprints of the old newspaper strips & the Marvel comics; and, of course the original series have been amazing, including DE I & II, Tales of the Jedi, Legacy, etc.

And, I am really looking forward to the new DH series taking place during the OT that is scheduled to come in January, as well as the forthcoming Omnibi?! reprinting the obscure '80's UK & 3D comics - the first one is scheduled to come out in 2013. Hopefully this announcement re: Disney taking over Lflm. won't affect the production of these comics.

I don't believe that Marvel will do as good of a job with the license as DH has, but that's just my opinion - IMHO they are too large of a company these days to give the SW license the care & attention it needs & deserves.

That being said, I really liked the Classic Marvel SW comics from the late '70's/'80's - they definitely had a large part in keeping SW alive between the films & after ROTJ.

Darth_Kevin likes this.
  16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Then we sir, have nothing to discuss.

So, I see that TLTotS and the Darth Maul arcs are coming to an end. If they aren't replaced by anything in March or April, is it safe to say DH knows something we don't?
    I do wonder how many issue's of Wood's Star Wars we'll get. 3?

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If they do, then that's one announcement they better hurry up with, as while I've resigned myself to them treating the future of the EU like they have done with TCW, I'd rather learn if Dark Horse are getting the premature axe or not -- I then can decide whether to rush out and buy all the TPBs I don't have before Disney or Marvel put them in the Vault.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm pretty certain that even if Disney invoked some quite severe severance clauses, they can't take effect instantly, it just isn't the way things are done.

Though I expect Dark Times and Dawn of the Jedi could end up getting wrapped quickly. Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral was only ever going to be a one-off series anyway. Agent for the Empire is another that can end fast without any problems.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just to note, I would unlike every post that reminded me LTotS is a one-off series if I could.

Still.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If Marvel takes over the SW comic license from Dark Horse, and DH has to discontinue their Omnibus run, I think I will literally cry.

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    As long as Scrooge is revealed to have a lightsaber in his cane. After all, it's also a pogo stick and a golf club!

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's worse than that Sinny! I mean, sticking a sub-title on it suggests there was going to be more than one! But know what the likely reason for that is? They have to make it distinct from the book otherwise people will get confused! Yeah, the same mythical individuals who got so confused between Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker that the latter simply had to die! (At least I frakking hope they're mythical!)

Sinrebirth and Zorrixor like this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I can see it now... when Brian Wood's series comes out, there will be complaints that people thought it was going to be an adaptation of ANH.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what series Marvel would/will keep and which they would/will drop.