main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    No no no, he released his EXCELLENT SE version on Blu-ray in 2011, what he didn't release was the (as the intelligent CoolyFett said) was the crappy unedited ones that the hateboys (see a mirror) seem to want. Though he did release them on DVD in the quality that they were worth.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Oh wow...I didn't even see that insult hurled at me? That's an emotional response....good I can feel your anger, It gives you focus. If any of you don't like my opinion I suggest you ignore me, because I will not go back & forth with any of you. This is my final take on coolyfett attackers & insulters. Be merry. Thanks for your time.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I remember the days when people claimed Darth Sidious was a clone of Palpatine. Fans don't always know best. ;)

As for what fans want, people want different things. Trying to appease everyone would be ridiculous and would amount to making a movie by committee which would spell doom for any movie, not just Star Wars. The whole "what fans want" generally comes down to people saying they want another OT. People who wanted a Han Solo-type character in the prequels even though there was no room for such a character in the twilight of the Republic. People who thought Boba Fett was a badass and shouldn't have died the way he did in Jedi even though all he ever did in Empire was stand around and follow a ship. So Boba has to be in the new trilogy, wearing a coat made out of Sarlac tentacles.

The truth is, the customer is NOT always right. Fans don't always agree. Take EU for example. We can't even agree whether or not it should remain in continuity and that's an issue that doesn't even represent the majority of Star Wars fans because the majority of Star Wars fans don't follow EU and only know the movies. Then you have divisions between those who like the PT and those who refuse to acknowledge its existence.

The last thing these new movies need is for Lucasfilm to pay too much attention to the fandom. Of course they need to make a movie that we're all going to like but we need to trust them to do that. Star Wars needs what Avengers needed. Someone with a creative vision who understands the material and how to bring it to life in a way that works for everyone, not just the narrow-minded fans who argue over every detail.

George Lucas is stubborn. Guess what. So are we. There shouldn't be a thousand voices making this movie, there should be one. Whoever that person is (call me Disney :p) should of course be a fan of the material themselves but their fandom shouldn't restrict them in the movies they make.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Id love to see a child Kaminoin with special powers & a team that is assigned to protect her. The team could. Feature many of the species, we know & love. I say be original.

5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I lked the design & look of the people on Kamino, what if the Gungans had a presence under the Kamino oceans. Id love something new like that.

6. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I obviously hit a nerve with you. and while your talking about throwing words like denial around. I think you were the one to use it first, along with delusional. So i geuss your the narrow one. Also i ain't such a Newbie as you think. i was on this forum back in 2004 with a different user name. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

I still say The Phantom Menace was not a great star wars movie. OOPS! destroy a fleet by accident. Jar jar. Stupid annie kid who in my opinion ruined the whole movie. there was a lot that was just bad about that movie.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  7. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Very funny[face_laugh] I love it!

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if they included remastered pre-SE versions of the OT with the OT 3D blurays. It seems an obvious overture and I think they will take it. The way these reboot things are managed they generally begin with big overtures to the core fanbase to generate word-of-mouth anticipation. It's just speculation but they seriously couldn't do anything bigger to get the blogging world on their side.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    If by 'they' you're referring to Disney and Lucasfilm, you're operating under a misconception: FOX retains distribution rights over the existing films in the Saga and will for the foreseeable future, and I seriously doubt that there is enough financial imperative to motivate FOX to add additional versions of the films to the home versions of their 3-D conversions of said films.

10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's not entirely true. TPM and AOTC received mixed reviews (but ROTJ was panned more originally). ROTS, along with ANH, is probably the best reviewed SW movie. As for dividing fan opinion, it was true about ESB and especially ROTJ. The difference is, there was no Internet to sspeak of around then to stir up the controversy.

I highly doubt Disney regards the prequels as a flop or SW as failing franchise. They wouldn't buy Lucasfilm just because of the three classic movies.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Then why do you post like one? You're clearly baiting like an IMDB user.
    I used the word "delusional" sarcastically in reply to your accusation of people enjoyed TPM to be in "denial". The plain smiley should have made that obvious.

With that said, we will probably not find much ground to agree on anytime soon, so I guess it is pointless to keep on bickering.
    Move along, move along.

12. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I'd rather they give us what we need than what we want.

After all, there's a lot of fans that want nothing but lightsaber fights and force powers, and the story would be...less than primary. :)

13. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    I sure hope not, if they do that, Episode VII will be a ridiculous jumbled mess. Their focus should be on making a film with a true heart and a story that people of all ages can relate to...you know the kind of thing the Pixar crew have been known to do pretty well. As much as I and many others would like to see a connection to the EU, therea re just as many people that don't want that at all. this is the same with any number of other things that "fans" might want. Just make a good movie, that's all I want.

14. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    This!!

(The best examples are some of the Aliens vs Predator fans who only want to see a film where the two creatures fight, preferably with no humans. What kind of a movie would that be? A bad one.)

I also think George Lucas listened to fans in general.

The Empire Strikes Back wasn't that well received in 1980. So, three years later the moviegoers got a much lighter-toned Return of the Jedi.

(Also, though I will be in a minority with this: after the reactions to The Phantom Menace, Lucas gave up on "kiddie stuff" and visibly constrained himself with Episode II. That's why I prefer Episode I, it was a lot more carefree (the bad romance is another issue).)

Fans are fans. Filmmakers are filmmakers. I don't think they should be mixed too much.

15. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    its always a surprise when I say it, but I think Phantom Menace might be my favorite of the bunch, too.

For all its flaws and the "Political movie for Toddlers" angle, it was the last one that felt like they were in real places doing things with real aliens instead of in a big blue soundstage talking to thin air. In ATOC and ROTS, they would talk 10 paces, stop...walk to the window..turn... And all that time my brain was just saying "Soundstage with a bluescreen. Soundstage with a bluescreen."

In TPM, Liam Neeson and little Ani are obviously, actually in the desert. Or walking around Watto's. Or Walking through the race stadium. Also the story's pace wasn't quite so lightspeed. You lived in the story just a little bit more than the other two movies.

Vespasian and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly. Hilarious contradiction all of these people saying, "he's not for the fans, he is for the money." Well gee, how does it make money if it doesn't have fans? Do people buy things they don't like and are not a fan of?

Perhaps TS is talking about the hardcore fans of the first series, but that is a small group; he wasn't ever going to pander to a small group of people, nor should he.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Both Episode I and II had on location shots in Tunisia and Italy.

18. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    And Episode III too. But it was used much more extensively and to much better effect in Episode I. I suspect George probably wanted to shoot the Lars homestead on a soundstage but was talked out of it. Seriously.

19. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It was brief and shot during the filming of Episode II anyway.

I'd rather see other planets rather the overdone Tatooine. Kamino was cool, despite being all CGI.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    The Star Wars community is so vocally split on just about every issue, that if "they" were to actually "listen" to the fans, we'd get Star Wars: Episode VII: The Cloud Atlas: On Crack: Unchained.
    Directed by 17 different world renowned directors, 43 lesser known directors, and 6 newcomers.
    Unfortunately, no new movies would be released for years after that - because all directors (and writers) involved would be put to death for their contributions to said film - after all, it was what the fans wanted.

21. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    There is probably no greater "sure thing" in all of the cinema business than a Star Wars movie. If they create a movie with solid characters, a good conflict and are true to the environment, it will print money for them. And at the same time, no fan will be 100% satisfied with it.

I will say that they need to invest in attracting a new generation of fan though. That's part of the reason why I would be in favor of totally new characters.

22. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want? I think the answer is "Yes!!!" They will get a movie that was not directed by George Lucas, It won't be nurtured by George Lucas, it will not be influenced by George Lucas. We should be greatful that Dizney is making this saga a reality. In a way we are going to get exactly what we want. I just pray that it will be as good as what Lucasfilm put together. Peace, D

Jedi_Lover and DarthMane2 like this.
  23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Exactly! I'm an 80s 90s kid & even I agree with you. Luke & Darth Maul days are over. Create new characters, that would inturn create new comics, novels, video games etc etc.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Kamino actually had extensive model work. The exterior shots of buildings were all models as was the room where Obi-Wan meets the Prime Minister.

See:
    [​IMG]
    (And yes, that is Mythbusters' Adam Savage!)

darklordoftech and IsoBanValian like this.
  25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    They'll give us what we want, a great STar Wars movie. In terms of critical acclaim all it has to say is pretty much this....

"Although it doesn't reach the heights of the the first STAR WARS. Episode 7 breathes new life into the franchise with a good script, great special effects, and an interesting mix of classic and new characters. Fans should also be relieved that it's better than all 3 Prequel movies combined."

We get something close to that, and we're good.