main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Chelsea dropped the case against Mata, pursuing with racist claim against Mikel.

Seems like it should be pretty clear. All the assistants heard the alleged conversation. If they side with the referee's version of events, Chelsea will have no leg to stand on and frankly should be punished. Can they be punished? It strikes me, admittedly with no backing whatsoever, as a grievance borne out of frustration against the Terry situation and the performance of the ref.

If the ref did make a racist remark, then his career is probably over. Why would he take that risk?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Hmm, whilst the whole thing is stupid, I have no doubt that Chelsea/Mikel/Luiz/Ramires honestly believe they heard Clattenburg say what they claim he did. And with that being the case, no they should not be punished if the remark was misheard. I find it very difficult to believe that any club would take such action vindictively.

3. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    If there's any doubt, they shouldn't have made a formal complaint. That kind of complaint is damaging to someone whether its founded or unfounded. Guess ill hold off on it until the hearing takes place.

As for the game, meh. Chelsea had to bring on the big guns to get through our very young defence. They can have the LC if they want it. Still, annoying to concede that goal so close to the end. Nani is an idiot.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not unlikely the assistants would back the referee regardless.

9 goals in the United-Chelsea game, it seems defense is not the thing in the Capital One Cup :p

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    That's my point. They believe that they heard something untoward. Whether that was what was actually said is for the panel to determine.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    In other news, still top of the league and knocked United out of the cup. Good times.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Downside of course is more of the first team players have played a lot more football this week than United's have. United took a gamble with some younger players and it didn't work, but with the Arsenal game at the weekend it obvious wasn't considered worth the risk of bringing on more players who featured during Sunday's game.

8. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    lol @ Utd

I don't think the club would. Players on the other hand...

Not sure who I believe.

9. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Also, 5-7 yesterday and 5-4 today. Wish I had seen those games. :(

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Agree. Just looking at it at face value, the word of the referee and his assistants, all of which have said they heard no abuse over their mics, seems to me more reliable than the testimony of the players, who have just completed a tough game where they had a number of bad decisions against them.

Also, picture now circulating of a supporter at Stamford Bridge mimicking a monkey. It just rolls on.

11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
  12. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
  13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  14. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Apparently, John Terry's lawyers are advising Mark Clattenburg to say that he didn't call Mikel a monkey but to instead say that he said, 'I don't give a monkey's' when Mikel complained about the calls that were made in the game.

15. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    EDIT: double post

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree with Wenger in criticising Chelsea for going public with this so soon after the alleged incident, and before they could even investigate it properly.

between Terry, this, and monkey man in the stands, it's been a bad few weeks for CFC. shame it hasn't effected their premiership form.

17. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Regardless of how it ends, can Clattenburg ever ref another Chelsea match? Surely not.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    These things are always made public before an investigation. Seems silly to single this one out. But I agree, it's been a crap time to be a Chelsea fan with all this off-the-field stuff going on.

But with this ref thing, there are 3 possibilities

1) He made a racist remark
    2) He didn't but Chelsea truly believe he did
    3) Chelsea are making it up

Occam's razor says it's number 2. I doubt anyone thinks it's number 3. And if it's not number 3, then it would be stupid to charge Chelsea should the allegations be deemed false.

19. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    As I mentioned already, I wouldn't put it past some of the players to make it up.

20. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    2 minutes 38 seconds. haha

21. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Rooney has missed 7 of his 20 EPL penalties.

Someone quote this post so I can 'like' it.

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Rooney should watch Ryan Giggs take penalties, has that guy ever missed one?

LOL @ Arsenal, especially when their former best player scored against them.

Also, top of the league. Nice :cool:

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What does Euro soccer do during the months of Nov-March? I wonder what I might be able to watch (screw the EPL) during the break in US soccer...

25. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Ian Holloway has taken over as manager at Crystal Palace. So hopefully he'll be in the top flight again next season. Shame it won't be with Blackpool, though.

26. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    As my local club, quite pleased to see Holloway join. I was at the game against Blackburn yesterday. Zaha is really ace.

27. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    And yeah, RVP should be taking the penalties, not Rooney.

28. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I need to get RVP in my fantasy team. Sucks that he's about 4 million more than Tevez (who I would be getting rid of). Probably worth it though to get a dependable captain (barring injury).