main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My experience with Soul Calibur is limited, and as much as I dislike tier systems in fighting games, Yoda was low tier, where Vader was high tier :p

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In terms of quality?

It seems that Rhett was better than both of them: or at least whenever the AI used him, it was cheapsauce.

3. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Dooms a magic god now as well, and a good guy.

lol In a match between Star Wars and Marvel, Marvel takes it easy. Remember, if the EU gets steamrolled that means the only jedi feats that can be used in "vs" matches are the ones in the movies :D Which means no flowwalking, force storm, force drain, "eating fire", battle med, etc. The greatest feat the Jedi will have now for these fights is pushing over a few droids in one shove. AND Luke is no longer a force God, his greatest skill last seen is swinging his lightsaber around wildley with no real tactics. [face_laugh]:p (at least Until we see what Marvel comes up with)

4. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Clones in TFU is like double lightsabers in TCW. It's so cool that everyone must have one. :p

5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Well considering in animesque fighting games people can jump their own body hight, lift and throw motercycles, and strike eachother so hard the ground cracks and craters, thoes school girls could tear through your average GFFA residence like ewoks through the empires best legion.

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Interstellar sociaty that can build weapons that blow up planets, or planet based sociaty that appoint murderous psychopathic criminals as head of its super-intel agency....

Yeah, not going with the spandex.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    America beat the British.

8. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Google comic (the "official" 616 Marvelverse) Phoenix's feats (devouring galaxies) and Magneto's feats (taking out alien fleets and astroids reversing polarity of planets, etc. Plus, everything's metal) along with Galactus, Silver Surfer, and Scarlett Witch. Those four from the comics could take out the entire cast of the Star Wars movies and TCW which is all that will be left when the EU goes bye bye.....:D...wait.......[face_dunno]:_|

9. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010

Whatever's gonna sell the most toys and bring in $$$$. So probably something with guys in cool armor.....probably Mandos.....

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    To be fair, Luke was quite badass towards the end of the Marvel run. He might be able to take Spider-man or someone :p

11. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
  12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I am a fan of marvel comics, everyonne gets a powerup when an editor wants to retcon something, then loses it just as quickly.

Magneto's feats in a galaxy when Magnatism actually makes physical sense dont work. or Kills himself.

Pheonix traped by relativity. Unable to do anything cause thie idiots who keep boosting her power have no idea how big a solar sytem or galaxy is. The reason i don't touch the VS threads on CBR is because every time someone says "Sun Dip Superman" I have to type

"You realise the Sun is 8 light minutes away right, so Superman basicly runs off for at least 16 minutes at the speed of light relative wise, as more time passes on earth the closer to light speed he reaches Giving his opponent hours if not days do do what ever they wanted?"

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I suppose they could be talking about narrowing it down, to something like a year after ROTJ [face_monkey]

But that certainly sounds like a good sign.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I would take any news we get from the rumor mill at this point with a grain of salt the size of a boulder.

RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010

Contradicticted is the same as overwritten though. Look at TCW. :(

"More than 50 years out" omg that would be amazing if they respected the EU enough to do that ^:)^

If it's true though....A female Skywalker? Really? Considering if they want to market the film to young BOYS like the rest of the movies this could mean that it won't be Disnyfied. :D On the other hand it could be just another "oh we need to be sensitive and have a strong female lead like over in Avatar."

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I seriously doubt the people responsible for the new movie are factoring the Legend of Korra into their planning.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh yes I can dig that

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What about a Black Shywalker :cool:

19. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Maybe but it seems to be a general thing across the board. Hope and Scarlet Witch, Supergirl, Korra, there's a theme of "the most powerful characters must be female....

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thank the Force that the Sequel Trilogy is only two years away. I don't know if I have heart for all of the various rumors that will be spawned and the various "inside sources" that will emerge. Reminds me of the late 1990's when the Prequels were being developed. I still remember the first time some brief images of Naboo were shown on the Official Site and folks were convinced that Alderaan was the setting for Episode One... :p

Given that 2015 isn't that far off, I imagine that late 2013 will be when the real spoilers start to appear.

--Adm. Nick

21. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Meh we can debate the merits of how scientific Star Wars on some other fourm. Considering though there's flames and sound in SPACE in Star Wars, lasers that move slower than light, instant hologram communication across millions of miles, "lightspeed", unnecessary flips when dueling (I with one year of fencing could own everyone in SW in lightsaber combat. ESPECIALLY with a sword with NO weight), sunsets with two suns, etc. I think it's fair to say Marvel's heroes powers work like they do in 616 in which case they own the movie and TCW easy.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I went to see Wreck-It Ralph last night, and after the previews, I just kept seeing horrible visions of the future, one after the other until the movie started...

The Disney logo... which leads into an animated short that may or may not be even remotely related to the movie... Then, the Disney logo, again, with the "When You Wish Upon a Star" jingle... then the Lucasfilm logo. And to top it all off, those visions included what little "gags" the animators may throw into the Disney logo... Perhaps a Death Star in the background... An X-wing or the Millennium Falcon arcs over the castle... Or Artoo goes flying over the castle while screaming his domed head off...

The future is going to be weeeeeeeiiiirrrrrrd.

Master_Keralys, Zorrixor and cthugha like this.
  23. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Eccept laser is an colqueal term in star wars, and is Excited tibanna gas.

Sounds in space is an artistic thing done to connecte with a non space fareing public.

And instant Holograms have millions or relays throught the galaxy and are a result of thousands of years of spacefairing, and are obsenly expensive and not accessable to 99.9% of the public and relay signals through the general go around for most inter stellar SF Hyperspace/Subspace/Nullspace/ Extra dimensional space where relativity has no sway.

And Lightsaber dules are based on Wuxha acrobatics/ and Martial arts and with 15 years of karate I cans honestly say any jedi or sith with sense would slam you aginst a blukhead or wall with the force till you lost consciousness or they go bored. there is a diffrence between art, even bad art, and flat out stupidity. Visual medium like movies or videogames have to actually engage their audinces so bombast part of the game.

Most Marvel's earth based stuff, can be Given artistic Liscense. Banshee flying with sound, Extra dimensional matter shifting to explain why metamorphs like Husk and Colossus work, Unstable molicules (Which should by its name be explosive) can be used to justify skin tight brightly colored outfits.

And other things Like every "Space God" is just hack writing not having the cajones to say. the Pheonix force was just a Device to make Jean Grey intresting treat it with a grain of salt, it was written during a diffrent time and should not be obessed over. And not given the mind numbing every law of physics breaking shennanagins to make every female red head in the X-men something special.

Instead of having the Scarlett Witch do something stupid like effecte the universe have the literary cajones to just Kill off the "Excess" mutants.

Sci fiction of which I count starwars makes scientific errors in service of a story, Marvel makes scientific butcheries to flat out retcon itself because the inmates are running the assylum, and lazy lazy writing.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    From what I've seen and heard of Paperman, we'll be lucky if the new films have half as much artistry.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, I'm not disparaging the animated shorts. They're often quite gorgeous and I look forward to more. I miss the days of cel animation and it's refreshing to see at least some attention paid to the forgotten art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.