main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.5 - Tipping Points - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Some people on here need to chill and not get worked up over Star Wars, its not real. Fine Ahsoka got shot, it should've of killed her or permanently damaged her, but it didn't. We're talking about the same universe where explosions happen in space and people can understand droids, its not totally realistic. Some people take things way to seriously on here, its quite embarrassing.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I kinda tried to say that before. Oh well.

From what I hear the boards were mega insane in the days before 2005, so things are gonna heat up significantly real soon. Get used to serious business. As for me, I'm gonna try my best to enjoy the process.

3. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    We're not talking about a real-world tank ammunition here, but since it was brought up: Armor piercing rounds are designed to pentetrate armor in order to damage what's behind it, not to expend all of its energy on the armor itself. Shooting a "hardened round" at any vehicle will not destroy it without high-explosives. The vehicle may be disabled depeding the material of the vehicle or where it impacted, which includes a car, but not destoryed. As a miltary and law-enforcement veteran who is very familiar with ballistics, armor, and weapons in general I think it's a little funny that most of what has been said regarding this makes no sense to me.

A concentrated particle beam with immense kinetic energy means Ahsoka should have a large hole in her left shoulder, not simple burn mark, and that image is a bit blurry but it looks like just a spark; besides light is energy so we would still see the red. I'm sorry but this is going nowhere. Although I doubt this is what the creators had in mind when they threw this scene together I'll concede that the bolt from the damaged gunship was slightly underpowered. I'm moving on

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Wait we're being serious and getting carried away here? I could have sworn me and Inblackestnight were just having fun chatting about what could have been. Ahsoka with a cyborg arm. Tell me that wouldn't be badass people?

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It would just be copying Anakin :p

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait, Anakin has a cyborg arm? Coulda fooled me. :p

Yet, considering the fact that Ahsoka's wearing a skimpy outfit vs Anakin's regular robes, her having a prosthetic would be much more noticeable.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It'd be such a wonderful fashion statement. =b

8. ninjaofthenight801

ninjaofthenight801 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 19, 2011
    Watching that scene, even with the knowledge that Ahsoka shows up later in the season by watching the trailer, part of me HONESTLY thought she bit the dust.

That aside...

We could consider it to be a powered-down/dying laser cannon. the gunship was shot from the sky, it's probably losing power/fuel/etc. , as convenient a plot device as it is, perhaps it just wasn't firing at full power.

But then again that's just me playing devil's advocate. [face_dunno]

Seerow likes this.
  9. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    If the makers take their time and put a lot of effort into their work. Than its a sign of respect to take their work serious, even if it is just Science Fiction.

10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The un-Jedi-like apparel could have caused some problems there. [face_sick]

I'm going to join the 'damaged and underpowered' club on this one. That was the impression I had when watching it.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, what with this week's huge announcement, I went and put my posting on this week's episode on the back burner. Usually, I prefer to watch an episode, allow it to sink in and then check out the replay the next morning to reinforce my thoughts and maybe catch any details I may have missed on first viewing. I prefer not to post on an episode until I've had that chance, but I was only able to catch Saturday's premier.

That said, I recall this episode as a fine end to a generally strong arc (that maybe ran one week too long). The Battle of Onderon was fantastic! The rebels were truly getting themselves wiped out until the arrival of the heavy artillery. I loved the droid gunships and seeing the beast riders was a nice touch.

I enjoyed the discourse between Anakin and Obi-Wan and for once, I actually found myself sympathizing with Anakin's side. Though to be fair, Obi-Wan did say that he agreed with Anakin, but felt their hands were tied. Apparently, Kenobi didn't hesitate to support Skywalker's idea of contracting Hondo.

I have to say, after this arc, I'm much more of a Lux Bonteri fan than before, too. I guess there is something that stirs inside of me when I see beings with more of a talent and inclination for discourse than brutality take up arms and fight for what he or she believes in. I think it's the American in me.

One decision I did not care for, though, was King Dundip's replacement of a perfectly capable General with the leader of a rebel faction with only a few week's worth of leadership experience. Don't get me wrong here, I quite enjoyed the character of Steela and she was shown to be an effective leader of 'her people' (ie. a rag-tag bunch of guerilla warriors), but in the same way, our good General knew his men and was never even hinted to be ineffective. Ah well, just a tactic by the producers to build up Steela's import and try to add more of an emotional impact to her death, I suppose. In my opinion it was pandering and worse, it was not needed. Steela was fine without it.

Yeah, a blast from a gunship's laser cannon probably should have torn Ahsoka's arm from her body, but I have to tell 'ya, during the actual fighting, I didn't stop to consider this. It just didn't take me out of the moment.

I'm certain there was more that left an impression on me, but frankly, my thoughts have turned to Episode VII and whether we'll be treated to a Mark Hammil Luke Skywalker, a Temuera Morrison Boba Fett, the New Republic on-screen in all its glory and a new generation of heroes and villains to invest in.

rumblewagon and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Would have been perfect, actually...

Randy and Mocha-Tano with matching mechno arms?
    Oh the meme's that could have been made... :_|

:p

13. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Why couldn't it have just shot off her head?

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    What if Ahsoka's cyborg arm why white and had angel wing markings on it. =b

DM99, AkashKedavra_93 and Paparazzo like this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I love that idea even more. Seerow

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Nomad Droids at this time had more viewers tuned in than this episode?! :confused: I wouldn't have guessed that..

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It is strange indeed. This episode was a hundred times more awesome and fun than that thing from S4.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I wanted Steela to die, but I don't see why the hell Saw couldn't just take his dragon up to the edge of the cliff and let Steela jump on. After all, she did that when she was evading the droid gunship.

DM99 and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't a HMP kill it?

20. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    But wasn't there another one in the scene?

21. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe there was, I'll have to watch it again.

22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    you have caught the tcw writers with downed pants.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    American Media must be fudging the numbers... its election season after all.;)

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I haven't seen numbers yet for Tipping Points.

25. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    It was posted around 1.47-1.52 or something like that. Looks like someone took it off Wiki though.. :confused: