main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Can merger return 'Star Wars' to its glory days?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by KilroyMcFadden, Nov 4, 2012.

1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    ---Gawker's Drew Magary seems to think so...

"I don't think I'm alone in dreading the idea of paying another goddamn red cent for a 'Star Wars' movie ticket after Lucas made three terrible movies and went back to monkeyfart with the older, better ones, ruining them in the process," Magary wrote. "Now the series is finally free from Lucas' ambling, simplistic vision."

---Philip Wise of TheForce.net had this to say...

"The fans that care about the story a lot and the movies a lot are happy that (Lucas will) be creatively involved, and even more happy that he wont' be actively involved in the directing and maybe even the writing,"

FULL Story: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/showbiz/movies/star-wars-episode-7-george-lucas/index.html

2. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Having not yet read that article, yes I believe so. This is their chance to reinvigorate the franchise, in fact if the buzz already going on at this point is any indication, and if they do the ST right (I think they will), this will absolutely restore Star Wars to its former glory. In Kathleen and George I trust.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Will reinvigorate the franchise, but I don't see it getting more glory.

4. UseTheForceLady

UseTheForceLady Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's definitely possible!! At very least I feel hopeful that getting new writers and directors involved will breathe fresh life into SW. I think Disney will encourage LF to as much as possible create a bridge between those who loved the PT and those who were disappointed by the PT because that is the best way to ensure the greatest profit and success.

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, to really bring back the glory days we'll need to eject the darker and grittier tone of the current and most recent EU. It's suffocating the universe. Maybe Disney will get a different writing and editing team on it, cause that element will need work.

As for the movies, remember Pirates of the Caribbean when it was announced? We all thought... ugh, a movie based on a ride? This is Star Wars, they managed to make a good movie and a number of decent sequels based on a ride. If anyone can fix the movie franchise after the prequels, it's them.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Agree. Esp. current EU - I like it, but I know a bunch of movies-only fans will star saying that the EU has raped their childhoods if they find out what's happened post-RotJ.
    Disney can make some good stuff.

7. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    apperantly. we merged a bunch of forums and then like two months later here we are again anticipating a new star wars movie.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    To be technical, Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm does not constitute a merger. The term 'merger' means that one company purchases another company, with the company which was purchased ceasing to exist. Since this isn't what is happening with Lucasfilm, the term is not applicable.

As to the question at hand, I really don't think that the SW franchise particularly needs to be 'reinvigorated' because I don't think it ever lost any of its luster. The production of new filmic material in it will certainly keep it alive and relevant, but that's an entirely different matter than 'reinvigorating' it.

QuangoFett and Summer Dreamer like this.