main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucas won't be picking SW VII director.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by mutantchair, Nov 4, 2012.

1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's what I expected, Kathleen Kennedy is in complete control and calls the shots.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I've seen it and even transcribed it so I know what was said. I'm agreeing with you that Lucas handed Kennedy the baton, and that she is now the person in charge. I just happen to think that he will still retain some measure of control, even if it is minimal compared to her role in the decision making process. I'm also saying that his role was never that of Producer, but of Executive Producer... and the way the Star Wars films are made, they mean very different things. I haven't seen any evidence one way or the other that her role will be that of both Executive Producer and Producer, however I would find that very unlikely seeing as they are both highly taxing and difficult jobs.

Bashar likes this.
  3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ That video indicates otherwise, but I guess we'll see what ends up actually happening.

4. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    There's absolutely zero evidence to support what you think as well. It's exactly the same as what Mystery and I think, and its just that it's an opinion. As Executive Producer she would have the power that Lucas is handing her. The buck would stop at her, but I don't see any reason why she'd need to or want to get down in the nitty gritty. Why not hire the guy that has been George's understudy for the last 7 years. He knows Star Wars as well as George (some might argue better) and has shown the ability to manager a lot of moving parts. I'm not saying its a done deal, but seems like a very likely scenario. As a matter of fact Kathleen Kennedy has a lot more on her plate than just Star Wars movies, it wouldn't be a good business decision to be the on-set producer.

5. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ No evidence to support what I'm saying? What do you call the video I mentioned and the official press release concerning the Disney Corporation's acquisition of Lucasfilm? Those two things pretty much spell out what role Kathleen Kennedy is going to have in the production and development of this new trilogy and in the overall future development of the Star Wars franchise as a whole, and said role is exactly what I've said it is going to be.

6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't mean to be insulting, but do you understand the difference between what a Producer and an Executive Producer do in the context of these films? Everything I've seen indicates that as president of Lucasfilm, Kennedy is stepping into the role of EP, and that her career as a Producer in the traditional sense is pretty much over. On the Star Wars movies since TESB, the EP is the one with complete creative control, while the Producer is the person tasked with the more mundane necessities of getting the film made. Then there's the director who's job it is basically to get the shots and the performances on the set. On other movies these jobs can be done by the same person, but the way Lucas has set things up, the Star Wars movies are fairly unique in that regard, and much more akin to the heirarchy of television production.

Having said that, I disagree with the notion that Filoni will step in as Producer. For one thing, he is a television Producer, in much the same role that Kennedy now has as Executive Producer, and has no experience in film production. And for another thing, his attention will still be focused on TCW for the foreseeable future. I think it's actually much more likely that McCallum will be brought in to reprise his role.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  7. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    AND Lucasfilm. GL doesn't say "Kathy is going to replace me as the creative influence on Star Wars." She was chosen because of experience as an Executive Producer, and success business woman, not because she's going to be a creative resource for Star Wars. I'm not saying Filoni will definitely be Producer. What I'm saying is it would be a choice that makes sense. Kathleen Kennedy is there to make sure George's former property is in safe hands, that doesn't necessarily men holding it in her own iron grip.

It could be we are arguing semantics here anyway. Might she be the one and only producer? Sure, but I don't see why, as the person who is the head of subsidized Lucasfilm, she wouldn't bring in someone with Dave's knowledge and skills to be part of the the making. Especially since he's already in-house and will likely be wrapping TCW by the time this goes into production. Perhaps an "associate producer"?

8. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Mystery_Roach: As I understand it, Kennedy's role in regards to the SW films will basically remain the same in relation to what she has done for the majority of her career; however, she's being referred to by the term 'Executive Producer' - which typically means something much different than what her duties on this new trilogy will entail - rather than the term 'Producer', so you and I are basically saying the same thing just in different ways.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    You could be right. It could be that she is simply overseeing the business and the hiring of creative people who will have the freedom to pursue their own visions. When it comes down to it we're all making assumptions, and mine lead me to believe that she is essentially stepping into Lucas's shoes, which means both running the company as well as being the total creative overseer of the Star Wars movies. If her skill set doesn't include that last part, then it seems unlikely to me that Lucas would choose her to take over the franchise, unless it is just a way for him to deflect the attention while remaining the man behind the curtain, so to speak.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    Jumping into the post late...skimming it my phone. But I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by some of the reactions to the announcement. There's a peculiar kind of denial going on here. Heh.

So I'm gonna say this as Monty Python might...just so I'm absolutely clear...

George is _retired._ Finished. Out. Not Top Banana. Resigned. Stepped down. Sold his lot. Moved on. Quit. Shrugged his load. Dropped the wheelbarrow. Packed his bags. Punched his ticket. Boarded the plane.

George is done.

George Lucas is no longer in the business of making Star Wars movies. He couldn't now if he wanted to. He _no longer owns Lucasfilm or Star Wars._ At all. Even a little bit.

I've seen several posts in the forums saying things like "oh he will _really_ be running things behind the scenes..." Or "I'm sure he'll change his mind and take a stronger role at some point."

No, he really won't. This is as final as it gets.

The "creative consultant" thing is common in this kind of transition. What it means is that Lucas will always be connected with the company he built...always welcome...but he's surrendered all rights and control and allowed his stake to be completely bought out. He is now to Lucasfilm what Stan Lee is to Marvel. And yes, I'm sure he's turned over his sequel treatments...and they will probably form the general core of some of what's to come. The "creative consultant" thing is, for all intents and purposes, honorary. Of *course* Kathleen Kennedy is going to say "I'm still gonna rely on his advice now and then!" What's she supposed to say? "Thanks we'll take it from here"? Of course not. :)

But it's cool. George was ready to escape. I'm happy for the guy. I honestly think he's unburdened and happy about it. And he's doing amazing, selfless things with all that money.

solojones and mutantchair like this.
  11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Some very naive posts here.

If anyone doesn't think that Disney execs will have a big say on the Director then they are crazy, sure Kathy will be putting it all together but Disney will be involved with the high level decisions like this.

12. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    That's hasn't been the case with Marvel. I think if they want to they certainly could, but they haven't shown that level of micromanagement with Marvel.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't want to be misunderstood. I fully accept that Lucas is stepping down and relinquishing control. I'm not saying that I believe he will be running things behind the scenes. The point I was making is just that Star Wars is his baby, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he continued to be involved in some minor yet crucial capacity, despite his obvious intentions to the contrary.

And Bashar, perhaps our wires are crossed. Are you suggesting that Kennedy will take a more traditional role of Producer/Studio head, and that it would be Filoni who would take control of the creative reins? In that case, I could almost see it working if not for the fact that the creative work has already been underway for a while, and Filoni is still totally immersed in making TCW, which he recently said he has no intention of stopping any time soon.

14. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that Disney will definitely be involved — they'll have veto power over everything, and they'll probably try to make some connections happen. But a high degree of autonomy for Kennedy is at least a strong possibility, given how Pixar and Marvel have been handled.

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I would echo this statement as well. Disney will most likely be involved, not so much in a decision making way, but in a more supportive way. They will want to nurture the needs of Lucasfilm, not overrule them. That is, unless they prove unable to turn a profit on their own, which would be surprising to me.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Kennedy will be selecting a writer and director, though I'm sure she will take the choices to GL first in case for some reason he absolutely hates the people. But I'm sure Kennedy knows him well enough not to pick such people. Beyond that it really doesn't seem like he even wants more involvement. He's gone over story already extensively and he said he's looking forward to seeing the film like a fan.

Now, the way film production works, you will have a couple producers. Kennedy will probably be the main creative but with a studio to run I'm sure there will be others. But honestly if you have a strong director they need less hand holding. And the most active producer might just be whomever the chosen director's producing partner is. Then there will be someone to oversee line producing, etc.