main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is it time for an OT reboot?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by KilroyMcFadden, Oct 31, 2012.

1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I ask for a couple of reasons. It seems fairly obvious that from the tinkering that was done with the OT to the inconsistencies between the OT, PT and EU that the tone, style, and internal logic of the OT and EU will never, ever again be honored. So while leaving the OT as it is, could you get behind an Episode 4-6 reboot?

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    No, I can't.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's very unlikely to happen. Disney may decide to produce a Saga remake at some point in the future, though.

Remakes - they're newer
    /LM

4. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I think even the thought of an OT reboot is such a stupid thing to consider. It would be such a waste of time, energy and money. Like the Psycho shot for shot remake but times a billion. Sure there are technical inconsistances between the PT and the OT, but people are smart enough (I'd hope) to realize why this is. Anybody who is scratching their head over the leap in visual effects between ROTJ and TPM or ROTS and ANH, even after being told the dates the films were made, have issues. I especially find it laughable that people point to the ANH lightsaber duel as a reason for a reboot. Why? Because it isn't up to the prequel levels? Let it go and quit being such an OCD nerd is all I have to say to that.

The special edition additions were enough to bring the OT up to PT levels, including the little additions of a Dug in Jabba's Palace, updating the ANH Jabba with the TPM CG model, changing Boba's voice (not a well implemented change, IMO, but it does link the two trilogies). Not to mention the PT going out of the way to satisfy the OT including Anthony Daniels, Ian McDiarmid, Peter Mayhew and Frank Oz returning as well as Ewan being a perfect young Alec Guinness. We already have the OOT, OT, PT and the upcoming ST. Last thing we need is a ROT (reboot original trilogy). What if the sequel trilogy brings back Mark Hamill, and the ROT recasted Luke? Oh no! Another inconsistancy, better reboot the sequel trilogy! :p

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  5. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No. I think the OT is fine as it is, I don't like all the changes as it is.

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Why change the one part of the saga that has worked. Reboot the prequels...classic films don't need to be re-done. That's why Psycho and it's sequels failed. No one needs to remake Citizen Kane, Vertigo, Gone With the Wind, etc.

8. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I vote no. Even though GL made lots of changes they're classic and can't be remade.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Don't give Disney any ideas.

10. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    You don't remake something like Star wars. You just don't.
    Some movies should never be remade and this is one of them.

11. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    NEVER.

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I don't think I ever could. Even without all the enhancements from the SE, DVD release etc the effects hold up remarkably well for something that's now 3 decades old. The originals are fine.

13. Neon Genesis

Neon Genesis Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I love the originals as they are and I don't see the need to remake them. What made the originals masterpieces wasn't the special effects but the plot and characters and its heart in general. If younger kids can't stand to watch the originals because they think the special effects are outdated, then I feel like they're missing the whole point of what made Star Wars a classic. If all they care about is flashy CGI and big explosions, they should just stick to that horrible Battleship movie or something and leave the classics alone.

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    No, no and no!

The OT is the benchmark of all things Star Wars, it would be incomprehensible if a remake was considered. The PT however....

15. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    To be clear, I don't think the OT needs remade either. My thought was that since the OT and the PT don't really fit together either in tone or really as peices of the same story, there should be a bright shiney version of the OT made that would be considered part of the saga, and then the OOT would be free to stand alone as peices of cinema unencumbered by the baggage of the PT.

16. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    You do realise, I hope, that that is just your opinion?

I, and many others, feel the PT and OT fit together perfectly well and that far from adding "baggage" the prequels enhance our experience when we re-watch the OT, adding greater resonance to a good number of scenes, characters, and situations.

17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I am aware that you think they fit perfectly together, yes.

18. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Do the OT films need remakes? Absolutely not.

But really, why do we care whether they are remade or not? Are you not all free to go watch them or not?

Or do you care so much about what other people think about you and your tastes that Hollywood remaking these three films would instantly cancel your own love for these films, or make them less worthy of you, less enjoyable because they've been remade?

It's always been my biggest gripe with the fans insulting the inconsistencies within the EU, the changes made to the OT (SE, DVDs, Blu Ray, etc...). What do you care? I've always liked the OOT better than all the other versions, and I consider them the "real" version. I don't like the NJO, so I don't consider the books in that series "canon". What really counts is what YOU choose to consider as the real deal. It's a free world. Star Wars is a huge universe. Pick what you like, leave out the rest.

Remaking the OT will never erase the original films from your memory, which, as far as we're all concerned, is the one and only memory we should care about. So why do you care?

Nothing is untouchable. If someone wants to have a go at remaking Star Wars, I say good luck to them, bring them on, and if they suck, well, they'll just suck. And the OT will forever be the great trilogy it already is.

19. Neon Genesis

Nov 4, 2012
    My concern with remaking the originals is that Lucasfilms would retcon the original canon and it would only cause confusion in the Star Wars fandom as to which is canon and which isn't. Remaking the originals would also be very disrespectful to all the actors and special effects staff that spent years working to make the original the classics they are today. It'd be like if someone took your painting you spent hours working on, told you it sucked and then took the painting out of your hands, and completely re-did it and insisted everyone should look at this one instead when there was nothing wrong with your original painting.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Then why treat it as a factual reason for a reboot, when it's far from being a fact?

21. MandalorianWrath

Feb 17, 2005
    Re : Neon Genesis's post

I understand your concern, but I think you have no real reason to be concerned : A remake is not made to say that the original version sucked. Most of the times, remakes are made by directors who want to pay tribute to the original. Psycho was mentioned before in this thread, and is a shining example of this. Yes, remaking it was totally useless. But look at what it did for the original : Nothing. And what's going to happen to the OT if they get remade? Nothing. There will always be that same old debate between people who will think the remakes are better, and those who think the old ones were better, just like there's a debate between people who preferred the PT to the OT, or vice versa.

Remakes will never erase the originals from human memory. Remakes won't do anything else than offer people who might be disappointed with the OT a chance to see a new, potentially better version. Whether these remakes end up being better or not is a question for another debate, but it doesn't change a thing : you'll either like the new ones less, and go back to the OT, or like them more and either never watch the OT again, or get the best of bioth world and maybe enjoy both the remakes and the OT.

Remaking classics does not harm the classics because people aren't stupid. They will eventually like whichever version is better, and that's only fair. And both will live on. (or the remakes will be terrible and be forgotten straight away, but one thing we know for sure is that too many people love the OT already so there's nothing to be worried about as far as these three are concerned : they will not, cannot be forgotten).

I often feel like the real reasons some people are concerned about potential remakes is that they a/ are concerned they might actually enjoy these remakes and feel guilty about it, or b/ just lack the self confidence to enjoy the OT just as much if other people prefer the remakes. Will your love for the OT somehow be invalidated if some other guy happens to say the remakes are better?

So my question is : Why should we care? Worst case scenario : the remakes suck and we can go back to enjoying the OT as if nothing happened. Best case scenario : they're actually great and offer something different and we can enjoy both the OT and the remakes.

22. Neon Genesis

Nov 4, 2012
    My concern of remaking the originals has nothing to do with feeling guilty for liking something. There are lots of remakes I enjoy and I have no problems with remakes in themselves. The difference between Star Wars and Psycho is that Star Wars is a saga with additional original stories and characters that exist beyond the canon movies but are still considered apart of the Star Wars universe. If you remade the originals, you would be retconning not only the originals but all those stories authors have worked for years on that are dependent on the original canon. How would you be able to make the canon of any potential remake fit in with the Clone Wars TV show which follows the current official canon, for instance? The only way I could see them pulling this off would be if they did something like the Star Trek reboot where they made any potential remake take place in an alternate continuity through time travel or something but that would be too out of left field for the Star Wars universe to work in it.

23. MandalorianWrath

Feb 17, 2005
    So, you're against remakes because they would destroy the EU continuity?

Then you must also be against the recent TCW cartoons, which have made the old Clone Wars cartoon and some books set in that era redundant? You must also be against every single book that has contradicted another book and therefore "disrespected" the author's work?

Let's face it : The EU does not need any OT remake to be contradicted. Its continuity has as many holes as a slice of swiss cheese already. And the real danger does not come from potential remakes, which would probably just tell the exact same story the originals were telling, but with modern CGI FX.

It doesn't matter who contradicts who anyway, that was my point from the get go. It doesn't matter what's "official", what's "canon". You make your own SW universe by picking what you like and leaving out the rest. I don't like the SE films : I don't consider them canon. I don't like the Yuuzhan Vong : I don't consider the books mentioning them canon. I don't like the Mandalorians from TCW : I consider Karen Traviss's books canon. I don't need anyone telling me what's "real" or not : it's a fictional universe that has so many elements contradicting themselves. There is no unity in the SW universe, you have to create it yourself.

Therefore, it doesn't matter if remakes come out or not, because you'll always have the freedom to say : "those remakes suck, the originals are the real deal", no matter what anyone else on this planet tells you is "canon" or not.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  24. Sethian Eber

Sethian Eber Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Years back I thought the prequels could use a proper reboot/remake and it was only natural to continue to 4, 5, and 6. I thought using some of Ralph McQuarrie's original concepts that didn't translate completely or his unused concepts sounded neat.

Years later I think that's a terrible idea. McQuarrie's stuff can just as easily be used in future sequels. I also now enjoy the prequels for what they are and have come to accept them as Star Wars films overlooking their flaws (as my child mind used to do with the OT but as an adult those flaws didn't bother me at the PT's did)

25. mrdan5

mrdan5 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    It's probably sacrilege to admit this on a dedicated forum, but I wouldn't class myself personally as a die-hard Star Wars buff. I'd probably class myself as slightly above a casual fan.

However, as a 'nineties' kid, I remember fondly watching the OT on video with my parents for the first time, who grew up with the hysteria when the trilogy was first released. From then on I couldn't get enough of the films, and with the release of the Special Editions came a whole cupboard's worth of new Star Wars toys. Those are just two of many examples of what makes Star Wars such a cultural phenomenon. No remakes, even if they undid every single flaw and were technically 'better' films, could compete with that.