main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Known unused Lucas Star Wars concepts

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by yodasbum, Nov 2, 2012.

1. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't know that that's going to be entirely true. Maybe it will be, but I think that Disney is smart enough to know what to do with this thing.

I mean, I think you're definitely going to be back closer to the action/adventure serial than we were with the prequels, but overall, Star Wars has taken on an epic fantasy scale, even among the old curmudgeonly OT hold-outs. Its probably the one thing fans of both sagas can agree was a good evolution from the prequel trilogy. I don't think the new studio is going to play it so safe that they pull the saga completely out of the realm of the mythological. I think we'll get a better balance that all fans can enjoy.

2. SarumanTheChef2

SarumanTheChef2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2001
    The Whills definitely sounds like something that could be coming back, from the Episode III script mentions. That's pretty recent!

It also ties both Darth Plagueis and Qui-Gon Jinn together, who also happen to both be mysterious elements from Episode III (our most recent SW film). It seems like too much of a coincidence that both are so involved with 'immortality'---I'd bet Plagueis learned his immortality trick from one of the Whills, as well. And that could be the defining theme---what is legacy, and immortality? Do you cling to your mortal being (Sith), or let your spirit guide others (Jedi)? And where is the Whill in all of this?

Luke seeks out (or accidentally finds) this Shaman of the Whills, but someone from the dark side has as well?

3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, yeah - obviously you don't take it to the extremes of the brief case in Pulp Fiction or the Rabbit's foot in MI3. You go the DS plans, Ark of the Covenant route, Holy Grail route. They all provide strong motivation for the characters and they provide a large part of the stakes of the movie.

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Deak Starkiller.

Hell, maybe the concept of "The Starkiller" himself... perhaps being Luke!

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Force ghost being able to take physical form. A concept found in most of the early ROTJ drafts, and in those it is Obi-Wan who takes physical form. However he doesn't do anything except watch Luke fight Vader so I guess that's why they took it out.

Jedi Merkurian and kevmp like this.
  6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Star Wars Episode VII: Search for the Whills? Secret of the Whills?

7. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    There was also an abandoned idea that Artoo found the "Keeper of the Whills" about 100 years after ANH and related the story of the Skywalker family to him, which he recorded in "The Journal of the Whills". The Journal of the Whills became the name of Lucas' book of ideas, notes and the like so who know the likelihood of it being used

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It was actually 100 years after ROTJ. Lucas himself mentions it in the Making of ROTS book. I wouldn't really say that was abandoned. It can still takes place, as we are likely to never get any films that go beyond that point.

9. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    sorry my wrong, he did say 100 after ROTJ I just checked my copy of the making of ROTS book. so 104 after ANH

10. Reis

Reis Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    Anyone remember the concept or the original plan for the prequel stories to have it be love triangle of sorts between Obiwan, Padme and Anakin, where Padme's death to save Obiwan is what drove Anakin to the dark side?,

11. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    You know I'm really thinking now that this could come into play...that a Jedi can return to the "physical world" due to this secret of immortality, I remember during the Prequel years, when Lucas was asked why Obi-Wan/Uncle Owen/Vader don't recognize the droids, or does Threepio recognize those characters, he would usually say something like "the droids being recognized isn't that important. Qui-Gon not disappearing when he dies is. How a Jedi maintains his identity after death is important". So let's break this whole Force ghost/maintain identity/immortality thing down:

Prequels: It is revelaed that a Jedi doesn't simple disappear and become a force ghost, there is some secret or long lost knowledge of it that is learned by Qui-Gon (and possibly Plagueis). We don't see it happen, but it's revealed in ROTS that Qui-Gon has learned it and has reached "immorality" and can be communed with. 'Communed with" says to me that not all of the knowledge was learned by him, and it takes an effort by a Jedi to communicate with him (think AOTC scene where Yoda is in meditation and senses Anakin's pain and Qui-Gon's voice is heard)

Classics: We see Obi-Wan disappearing and subsequently appearing as a force ghost which can be seen and interacted with easily by a Jedi. Some of the lost knowledge had been discovered at some point, by Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan or Yoda. Who does is irrelevant really.

Sequels: The final bit of "lost knowledge" is searched for and discovered by Luke or the new Jedi (they find the Shaman of the Whills who taught Qui-gon), and the ability for a Jedi to return to the "physical plane" is now possible. A Jedi of the past is needed to help with a current crisis and is "brought back" in solid form.

WIld speculation on my part I know, but I think this natural progression of how the "force ghost" method works makes sense

12. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Yah, and that was slightly hinted at in ROTS when Anakin starts accusing her of siding with Obi-Wan and bringing him to Mustafar. However, having Obi-Wan knowingly be involved with or lusting at her would really have made the "a Jedi shall not know love or affection" plot point moot, as Obi-Wan represents what Jedi SHOULD be (at least in the eyes of the Jedi Council). As has been established in the EU and TCW, Obi-Wan has definitely felt that temptation to love someone, and even said he would have left the order for Satine Kryze. However he was strong enough to resist, while Anakin was not. The contrast between Anakin and Obi-Wan was important and probably why it was ultimately dropped. 'Cause basically you have two love sick fools chasing the girl. That was done in the CT

13. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I'm enjoying this thread...the early drafts of all the movies and the unused ideas and names that were later used in the PT have always fascinated me. I remember showing my friends the quote from the ANH/Whills 1973 outline "Mace Windy, a revered Jedi Bendu of Ophuchi as told by C.J. Thorpe, Padawaan learner of the famed Jedi." to show how old some of these names and ideas actually were (it was to dispel their idea that Lucas came up with a name like "Mace" to try and sound hip and modern in 1999 lol)

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    There were also some deleted scenes from ROTS with Anakin feeling Obi-wan's presence in Padme's apartment, iirc.

kevmp likes this.
  15. Master_Bumpy

Master_Bumpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    I think you're more likely to see names reused, like Had Abbadon, Bendu, Ashala etc...

That Bad Huh likes this.
  16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    For those who don't know, that was written by a user here, Zombie. Just managed to find my 1st edition pdf on a flash-drive. There's an entire appendix on the history of the ST, which he is now in the process of updating given the latest turn of events. The great thing about the book is tht it's chock full of Lucas quotes, he's completely contradicted himself repeatedly of the years.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've got one for you:

The first draft of SW opens with a Jedi training his sons on a remote planet, until they are drawn into war.

This could be perfect for Luke. Starting the story with Luke and his children living on a farm, a nice tie to the original, Luke trying to instill both Jedi philosophy and more "down to earth" ethics. It's a good way to inform the audience too, if Luke has been kind of out of the stream of things, and needs to catch up on Galactic events, conveniently informing the audience as well in the process.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    While I was at work I thought of something I read a long time ago. It was definitely before the the SE's and was probably in a role playing game or some sort of technical journal but I distinctly recall that Obi-Wan Kenobi used to battle Krayt Dragons until he wiped them out. Well, we never heard such thing in the movies related to Kenobi but i thought it might be cool to see Luke Skywalker battling a Krayt Dragon. OR if not a Krayt than some other kind of large scale aggressor like in LOTR with the cave troll.

In other words, "Unforgiven" in space. I don't know. I can't see Luke just being selfish and distancing himself from the New Republic.

19. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Turn Luke into the secret apprentice of Darth Vader because Luke had what Brad Pitt had in the Fight Club because Pitt was one guy during the day and a different guy at night. Luke could have been the good guy and the bad guy and maybe Vader had a split personality, too.

20. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that Qui Gon partially understood how to keep the spirit lingering after his death, but had not mastered the technique, so he was unable to become a force ghost(and did not dissapear). He taught Obi and Yoda during their exile, so they could retain their spirit form. HowAnakin became a ghost remains somewhat mysterious though, because he did not disappear. Maybe Yoda and Obi guided his spirit, or he wasn't wholly dead until Luke burned him;)

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm surprised the planet Aquilae was never used.

22. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    What if rather than being Eastwood from Unforgiven it were Luke training his sons/nephews/nieces/others for the Republic on a farm and then they are called in for the emergency? I do see your concerns about him distancing himself, he will want to be a part of the development of the New Republic. Unless it is possibly necessary due to typical citizens' skeptical views of Force users.

23. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    How were the Whills referenced in ROTS?

EDIT: Sorry, I see you already answered this.

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

And the Kaiburr crystals - wasn't the original idea that the Kaiburr crystal enhanced a Force users power and gives an ordinary being Force abilities? - unless Luke doesn't know the location of Ilum and he has the only lightsabre.

25. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading through it. I can definitely see some of these old concepts being used in the ST, especially the Whills, and the concept of life after death.