main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Darth Vader/Anakin get the deep voice?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    After being put in the robot suit and samurai helmet, Anakin skywalker finally got the James Earl Jones voice from the original star wars. But where did that deep voice come from, from an in-story perspective? Was there a microphone built into the mask? A wierd recorder? I dont get what gave vader the deep voice,exactly.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not sure what you are saying here, elucidate. Meaning it was not Jones's voice?

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm not sure I worded the question properly. I meant, how did Anakin's voice change once he got the suit? How did he get the Jone's voice? Where did it come from?

I don't mean in real life, the actors. I mean, in the story. How did Vader's voice become the JES voice when he was put into the mask/helmet?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think he's asking how Anakin's voice goes from Hayden Christianson to James Earl Jones simply by putting the helmet on.

Possible answer- his vocal cords are damaged from being near hot lava- so when he speaks, a piece of tech in his helmet produces much louder, clearer words.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't understand what exactly do you mean by that.

I understand that Anakin needed a new voice-in ROTJ, his voice was all weak, and he could barely talk after being burned in ROTS. How were his vocal cords damaged exactly?

Also, how does being inside a helmet/mask create a new voice? I wore masks for halloween costumes but my voice never changed

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    My understanding is it was the same as in the OT, Anakin said his lines to go along with his actions, and Jones's voice was dubbed over it later, but maybe I'm still not understanding.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin's voicebox is damaged. Therefore, he needs technology for other people to understand what he's saying. This technology, whatever it is, makes his voice sound different.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh, I get it now; and yes, this is my understanding also. Vader has a hard time speaking, so technology helps him. That is why his talking seems labored when his mask comes off in Jedi at the end.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    When Anakin is talks to padme and fights obi wan, and even when he cries and screams as he burns and is being operated on, he still has the same voice he had all his life. When the samurai helmet is put over his head, his voice gets all deep and booming and powerful, compared to his whiny angsty feminine voice that he had before.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. And the answer is "technology did it".

(Just as in fantasy, the answer to questions about oddities is often "a wizard did it".

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So, when the mask is put on Vader's face, did it connect to the thing he had below his face?

[​IMG]

See the thing he has right below his face, it kinda looks like something at the dentist?

What was that for? Did that have anything to do with the helmet and new deeper voice?

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What exactly did it though?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Voice synthesiser. The books sometimes call Vader's voice "a deep, synthesised voice" (I think Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader does).

The Visual Dictionaries for Star Wars might even show which bit of the helmet's doing it- they usually show various things in high detail- like the inside of a stormtrooper helmet.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Where was the voice synthesizer? How did it connect to his face? Was it glued to his face? Did anyone who wore the samurai helmet get it? I mean, Vader's helmet kinda looked like a samurai helmet. Did the voice synthesizer have anything to do with the thing at the bottom of his face?

[​IMG]

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Where can I read more about that? and the details behind it?

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's probably somewhere in the bit of the lower half of the helmet shown in the above picture, right in front of his mouth.

EDIT: Wookieepedia goes into detail on his armor- including the helmet:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader's_armor

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't get what the piece of armor in front of his mouth, that looks like someone with medical problems, has to do with his new voice or the helmet/mask.

Who wrote that info? How do we know they're getting the right information, and not just some fan making stuff up, on Wookipedia?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The helmet is a multipart thing- it isn't just the bit we see lowering onto his head, it's everything above the neck.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's a better word-helmet or mask? I'll use them interchangeably for now.
    [​IMG]

I thought only that was the helmet.

Also, if anyone wore that helmet, would they get the deep voice? Where would it project? Through a microphone? Is the synthesizer glued to your face? How does it work, exactly?

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You can look at the numbers (which, at the bottom of the page, are correlated to sources) and then try and find the sources themselves, to see if they're being quoted accurately.

Or you could go with "assume accurate unless someone proves otherwise." Wookieepedia is usually fairly good about this sort of thing.

The above pic of the "complete helmet" goes all the way down to the neck- so should mean that everything in front of Vader's mouth is part of it.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The med droids that had made the suit had inserted the redundant breathing tubes low enough so that, with the aid of an enunciator, his scorched vocal cords could still form sounds and words[18] through a voice synthesizer in the mask.[10] Absent from the enunciator in Vader's mouth grill,[13] which imparted a synthetic bass tone, his own voice was little more than a whisper.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Was it a mask or a helmet? What's the correct termilogy? Where did you get that from, too?

I don't get what you're saying. Be more visual. Show a link or post a picture or something.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That bit came direct from the Darth Vader's Armor page.

"The mask" is what we see being lowered toward his face, in RotS.

"The helmet" is everything on Vader's head.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What? I dont get it. Helmet is on head.. Mask is lowered onto face? What? Be more specific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.