main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why the Sith have red lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it because red is the color of Naboo, Palpatine's home planet? (this is a "No EU" thread) (had to make that clear because of the below post)

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    No. The Sith have been around for thousands of years before Palpatine's birth.
    The original Sith species was red. And few Jedi pre-Sith had red sabers, even fewer after.
    You trace it all the way back, Lucas made an arbitrary and cool-looking decision.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant in the Lucasverse and I edited the OP to say so.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Even so, the Sith definitely do not have red sabers because Naboo is red. NO.
    Do Jedi have green sabers because Dagobah is green? NO.
    History must be explained. If you don't like EU, your loss.

5. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I always thought it was because the color Red is a symbol of evil.
    Bad guys have red and good guys have blue, Green or in mace Windu's case Purple.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And this is an in-universe explanation for "evil" things being red.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    To look evil. They should have used Red lightsaber for Anakin in revenge of the sith. Young vader, before the suit, with a red lightsaber. Why did they give Vader a blue lightsaber? Like, after he is knighted a Sith, palpatine gives him a red lightsaber? Why not? Look how cool it would have been!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    That does look cool!

Isn't the red blade thing about the crystals used by the sith being synthetic rather than natural? The jedi collect naturally occuring crystals which creates a healthy blue, green or purple colour.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why didnt they give vader a red lightsaber in rots? I mean pre suit Vader. People tend to confuse vader with the suit. Anakin became vader far before the suit. He was knighted darth vader in Coruscant after mace windu died. Even then, he was still anakin. Same person, different titles. In a new hope and empire strikes back, he's still Anakin.

Why did they give him a blue lightsaber? Why not make sidious give him a red saber after the knightning ceremony above Coruscant?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sidious probably didn't have a spare. After losing his main lightsaber out the window, in RoTS, he had one backup- which he used in the fight with Yoda. Why replace Anakin's lightsaber when he already has a perfectly adequate one?

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I meant from an out of universe perspecitve. Lucas wrote the story. He knew fans wanted to see bad*** darth Vader with the red saber. Seeing young, long haired, bad*** darth vader without the suit, with a red lightsaber, would be cool. There was a way to include that in the story. Lucas could have made something up.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He could- but I'm guessing he didn't see "red saber" as all that important for the RoTS Vader scenes.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why not? Look it up on youtube. Fan edited videos with red lightsaber, pre-suit Vader. And on google. Where he duels obi wan and the lizard aliens and the bugman with it.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it was just a design decision by Lucas.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Naboo is not red and red lightsabers have existed before the Prequel Trilogy, therefore that "theory" doesn't hold any truth. It's merely because red symbolizes evil.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    You do know, that the same lightsaber that darth Vader/Anakin skywalker used to kill the Jedi and younglings, and the Seperatist council (lizard men and bug men aliens) on mustafar, and duel obi wan, was the same lightsaber that obi wan gave luke (your father's lightsaber), in the original, first star wars movie? The same lightsaber that luke dueled anakin with in ESB, but it fell down Bespin when Anakin cut of Luke's hand.

Kinda cool twist. Vader used Luke's lightsaber. Not just as a jedi, but when he was evil. Luke wielded the same lightsaber that Vader killed Jedi with in the temple. less cliche than vader using a red saber. It was kinda neat that obi wan took anakin's lightsaber when anakin was burning in the lava, before he got the robot suit.

Your Father's lightsaber

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nuff Said.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Until that lightsaber fell down Bespin. All cuz of Anakin.
    [​IMG]

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I see that in one aspect, you appreciate the entire saga as a whole.

19. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I hope you realise that even in the whole Lucas verse, Darth-Bane was conceived by Lucas for the backstory of the Sith when writing the prequels. So, NO.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where in the Lucasverse is Darth Bane established to have had a red lightsaber?

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    in the EU, that is

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Pre-suit Vader was pretending to be a Jedi.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, in the Original Trilogy.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Which takes place AFTER the prequels. Prequel = happens before. This thread is about GL's intent since making the prequels, NOT his intent when making the OT.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You asked why the Sith have red lightsabers, and I'm saying that they had red lightsabers ever since the Original Trilogy (which was made before the Prequel Trilogy). And it's not because Naboo is red (which it isn't) nor because it's Palpatine's home planet (which I don't see the correlation). It's simply because Lucas thinks red is an evil-related colour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.