main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.6 - The Gathering - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, yes, to Quango you listen. His fear was making a pile of rocks with glowing red lights into some kind of glowing red-eye rock pile monster. When he got the crystal, he realized it was all in his head.

It's not often I'm the only mod liking an episode. [face_laugh]

DM99 and Seerow like this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Overall, I found this episode to be not that bad, probably the 2nd best episode of S5 so far since the premiere. The rest of the arc sounds amazing! I hope it is!

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    It's not often that TCW puts out anything but ****. The track record for this season has been steady so far.

Esg, Coric and Zeta1127 like this.
  4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The rock formation looked a bit like a Dwarf Spider Droid in some shots. For a second, I thought Byph had stumbled upon a CIS raiding party and would be unceremoniously killed off like Droidbait was in Rookies.

5. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    has anyone else noticed how in a galaxy far far away, personal computing devices all seem to have a "blow stuff up" setting?

Honestly, could you imagine being able to tap a few buttons on your iPad or Android tablet and make it explode?

Chaos and destruction? There's an app for that.

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    They've contracted Star Trek's "exploding console syndrome", or ECS.

QuangoFett and DM99 like this.
  7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Sounds like a nightmare for law enforcement and security services. Everyone has the means to execute a terrorist attack if cellphones and tablets are all made of explodium.

Zatt's datapad is probably a government/enforcement/military spec' model with features that you wouldn't find on the civilian version. The Jedi Order obviously trusts its young initiates to handle deadly explosives.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    At least you've got your self destruct on a button press. Scouters in DBZ are liable to go off at the slightest provocation.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    There isn't an app for that? I really wouldn't be surprised if you could hit a few buttons on a Blackberry and cause it to explode.

10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    And yet still you watch. The power of the show is astounding!
    He made the device do a power overload - not self-destruct. If he really is that techie, I can buy it, but only so far. Look how the electrical transformers blew up when Hurricane Sandy hit New York.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't have any problem with Zat blowing up the datapad honestly. That's a pretty normal thing for a geek in a sci-fi show to do.

DM99 likes this.
  12. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I've been watching out of morbid curiosity so far. This season is failing to deliver. Don't like, don't watch is a weak counterargument, but I'm not holding out for anything more elaborate.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I did rewatch this with my niece this morning. Totally forgot. She commented the fortune cookie meant "You can't find yourself" and lost interested half way though lol, so much for the 4 year old review. I found this episode was a little better the 2nd time around. I appreciated the younglings a little more individually. Maybe they will grow on me more as the arc progresses.

14. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really dug this episode, though I could see people dismissing it as "kids' stuff". When people say "Ew, that stuff's for kids!", my response is a tie between, "And your point is...?", "And that's bad...how?", "I'm supposed to care...why?", and "...so?", so there. :p

I really liked the younglings and how they developed; they each had one personality flaw which they overcame in the episode, allowing them to find their crystal and finish the trial.

Katooni's was found in a steep ice wall. Her trial is to be confident, in order to climb up the wall to reach her objective. Her obstacle is fear, which is something that certainly doesn't define a Jedi. She found the confidence to climb and reach her crystal. After that, she had a choice between climbing back down and going through a passage, which would certainly be more convenient. She took the latter, which lead her into a dead end. This illustrates lessons in the OT that Luke Skywalker learned from Han Solo (to not get cocky) and Yoda (to not take the quick and easy path).

Gungi's was on a frozen island. His trial is to be patient; he had to wait for the river to freeze or else he will fall if he tries to cross prematurely. Patience is a Jedi trait that is illustrated by most Jedi (except for Anakin :p). This is especially profound since I wouldn't imagine Wookiees to be the most patient of species.

Ganodi's was among a multitude of crystals in a cavern. His trial is to trust in the Force, letting it guide him to his crystal. He did, and the rest of the crystals were revealed to be illusions. This is yet another lesson from a great Jedi Master in the OT: "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."

Zatt's was hidden in an area undetectable by his scanner. His trial is to have more faith in himself and less on technology. This could also be interpreted as a "no attachments" lesson. His attachment to technology clouded his vision, obscuring his crystal from him. Letting go of that attachment and smashing it helped him find it, and destroying it altogether revealed it. This lesson is especially relevant today, where technology is so widespread that actual human interaction is becoming less common and communication via technology like instant messaging and social networking are becoming more common.

Byph's was in the claws of a monstrous creature, or so it seemed. His trial is to overcome fear. Byph's characterization as an innocent and vulnerable character contrasts with the creature's monstrous and vicious appearance and parallels with the image of the prey and the predator. The prey rose up and defeated the predator, so to speak, and achieved its goal. Overcoming fear is an integral lesson for a Jedi, as fear leads to anger, which leads to hate, which...you know the rest.

Last but not least, Petro. His seemed to be right in front of him and claimed victory, only to learn it was only an icicle. If he wasn't brash, overconfident and abandoned his friends, this wouldn't have happened. If he used the Force, he would have been able to tell it was fake. When he saw a trapped Katooni, rather than help his comrade, he ran off, putting his concerns ahead of hers. However, he soon realized his mistake, and returned to save her. When he did, the crystal came to him, and though the ice froze over, he managed to break out. His trials were to be patient, trust in his comrades, care for his comrades and be confident, illustrated by his failure after rushing out, his failure after ditching his friends, saving Katooni and ignoring Master Yoda's words about being unable to leave after the ice freezes over.

The official Star Wars: The Clone Wars Facebook page revealed that a crystal is colorless until it is attuned to a Force-user. While I can see people raging over this change, I welcome this addition. It gives more of a personal connection between the lightsaber crystal and the user of said lightsaber. This also made me wonder if the caves of Ilum are attuned with the Force, like the cave on Dagobah.

This episode had a great focus on the younglings, a.k.a. the next generation, a.k.a. the future of the Jedi. And much like how children are the future of humanity (or what's left of it :p), the younger generation of Star Wars fans are the future of the franchise's survival. I think this needs to be kept in mind when new material is coming out from Lucasfilm (or Disney/Lucasfilm, whatever), and people talk about new Star Wars appealing more to new fans rather than old ones. If they don't appeal to new fans, Star Wars will wither out and die within the next decade. Yes, it would be great if they made something equally appealing to both old and new fans, and I think they're doing that right now, but appealing to the old isn't as important as appealing to the new, though I think it's still important, yes. Besides, if appealing to the old means keep doing the same stuff over and over again, it's gonna get dull over time.

I don't know if any of that made a lick of sense, but whatever. :p

Getting back to the episode, I thought it was pretty frickin' brilliant. Christian Taylor did a great job with the story and script; the Force is most certainly strong with him and it! Voice acting for the younglings were great (I'm totally geeking out at Greg Cipes and Olivia Hack a.k.a. Beast Boy and Ty Lee voicing Zatt and Katooni, respectively) and Ashley and Tom were great as their respective characters, as always. If this does lead to a spin-off show about Jedi younglings and it is of this quality, I have a really good feeling about the future of Star Wars on TV. I say bring on more! :D

And yes, that scene in the newsreel of Plo Koon discovering youngling Ahsoka was adorable.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The rating of this show in many ways depends on whether or not it's going to be a offshoot Young Jedi show.

It is massively successful in that regard; if TCW was going to permanently move to a younger audience, most of us wouldn't be watching.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Didn't quote all your post since too long - but you nailed it, well observed. The animation and pacing were overall pretty good in the episode too. It's clear though that some *others* are clouded with their hatred and anger - yet still keep watching. 8-}

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Mid show audience switches tend to go badly. A spin off or a plot for these little Jedi the crew are not being truthful on would be more likely. I wouldn't say this was an example of toned down TCW yet, should wait for the rest of the arc. Keeping in mind we are in s6 and the turn over with 8-14 is supposedly 3 years.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually we are in S5 :p

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the corrrection.

20. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    If i would see more Gunji in the Show, i would start to get bored. That cute wookie grin and sweet yelling is once cool. Twice its still ok. But at the third time i would start to throw out my dinner. I cant stand that much of Kiddie cuteness. I need a good amount of amusement for adults.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe a main Wookie character is what TCW has needed all along. =b

cwustudent likes this.
  22. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    [face_sick]

Sure why not. I am totaly fine with it, if the majority whishes so. No prob. Realy.

[face_praying]
    please dear god, do not let that happen.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Gungi is AWESOME, He should have his own Arc in the future :p

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Not sure I'd go that far with Gungi...

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    He should have his own rug. I mean he should become a rug himself.

haha