main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Disney - Lucasfilm Relationship & EpVII Decision Making

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by GeneralCeel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    George's decision had little to do with money, he's giving the bulk of the Disney cash to charity. I believe it's really about handing off his "baby" to a good home so that it will flourish. It's more about ensuring his legacy will carry on than about pure profit. He and his heirs will continue to make their money from the SW universe for the rest of their lives.

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I agree. But lets not kid ourselves.... he's not the loser in this deal. The guy is a good business man. He's still got a significant profit source here..

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's not fact (unless by majority you mean the fanboys on the Internet).

According to the Gallup poll in 1999, the majority of the viewers were positive:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/3757/public-gives-latest-star-wars-installment-positive-rave-reviews.aspx
    While many critics sniped about The Phantom Menace, the American public clearly comes down on the positive side of the ledger when they are asked to evaluate it. Over three-quarters of those who have seen the film describe it as "good," "excellent" or as "one of the greatest they had ever seen," although of this number only 3% say it is one of the greatest movies they have ever seen, with 33% calling it excellent and 40% labeling it as "good". Just 21% rate it as only "fair" or "poor."
    According to parents, positive reaction is even more widespread among young people. When asked about their children's reactions to the film, 90% of parents who said their children had seen The Phantom Menace indicated that their children thought it was "good," "excellent" or "one of the greatest he or she had ever seen."

4. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    ^ nice.

I think the further proof is in its boxoffice longevity that summer. It was the movie that would not go away. It put up small declines every week all summer long, showed great legs, and had a devoted following that kept returning to the theater weekend after weekend to see it again.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  5. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    The results below are based on telephone interviews with randomly selected national samples of 925, 1,053, and 1,022 adults, 18 years and older, conducted May 21-23, June 4-5, and June 11-13, 1999 respectively. For results based on this sample, one can say with 95 percent confidence that the maximum error attributable to sampling and other random effects is plus or minus 3 percentage points. In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
    Have you, personally, seen the new Star Wars movie called "The Phantom Menace"?
    May 21-23 1999Jun 4-5 1999Jun 11-13 1999
    Yes 4% 15% 16%
    No 96 85 84
    No opinion 0 0 0
    100% 100% 100%

Just to put a little perspective that Gallop poll is based on a total of 359 people who watched the Phantom Menace that summer perhaps not enough to declare that view it is totally shared by the 94 million people who watched it that summer. Just because someone says that it was good doesn't mean that they aren't disappointed with what they have seen but it doesn't mean that they aren't disappointed either. People who love Phantom will find evidence to support their view. People who are disapointed with Phantom Menace have evidence to support their view.

I think that it is fair to say that on evidence Phantom is regarded as a good film with many believing that it is great and many believing it is poor. Some believing that is was a disappointment even if they thought it was a good/great/excellent film. The evidence for that is this poll, IMDB score and you could include the boxoffice but that can occasionally be down to factors other than the quality of the film. If you look at % for one of the greatest to poor it is quite close in percentage in all but one of the polls.

Personally for me a good Star Wars film isn't good enough. They should all be outstanding and anything less is a disapointment!

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah. I remember seeing it in mid-August 1999 on a mostly full matinee screening. There was a middle-aged couple sitting in the last row that was laughing very loudly at everything that Jar Jar said or did :rolleyes:

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Really? that's your evidence a 1999 gallop poll? I wonder what the gallop polls for the TRANSFORMERS sequels say.

Regardless of any of that, I was smart enough to add that if their wasn't enough evidence to say a majority disliked it, then atleast it's POPULAR OPINION.

What do you honestly think Disney will pay attention to, popular opinion or a 1999 gallop poll that came out when the movie did? You can't go anywhere without PT bashing, and the nay sayers, if not the majority definitly have the loudest voices. Loud enough for Disney to pay attention.

In other words as I said, Disney will not want another PT. And to be fair they won't want a film that devides more than it unites. They'll want a great Star Wars movie, not just a good one. One that can stand right up their with the OT, and please as many people as they can.

yodasbum likes this.
  8. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Kathy Kennedy will be the one calling the shots people, she is a very capable producer with tons of credits to her name.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005086/ She has been doing this a long time.

EviL_eLF and GeneralCeel like this.
  9. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    I'm having mixed feelings about this new movie coming out...fingers crossed it's good.

10. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I keep trying to explain that to people. But everybody keeps writing posts that say "If Disney decides to do this.." and "Disney is going to do that." Disney at this point seems to be an ambiguous, disembodied all powerful entity (kind of like a force spirit.) I’m not sure, but I get the feeling some people think that the board of directors at Disney sits down every day and micromanages every element of every project and product being produced under the Disney Umbrella

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not every project but they certainly meet about the major ones.

12. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    ... to decide which projects to approve, to sign… but I’m pretty sure they’re not reading and writing scripts.

13. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It is really quite sad that myself and GeneralCeel have to keep beating this horse to death, but Disney's involvement with this new trilogy isn't going to amount to much other than their distributing the films, and I really don't understand why it is so hard for people to grasp that rather simple concept.

JediKnightOB1 and EviL_eLF like this.
  14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    How do you know for sure. Disney has 4.5 billion to make back. You think they're going to sit around and just let Kathleen Kennedy and LFL do al lthe work and hope for the best? This isn't like with the Marvel franchise where the films were already critically and commerically successful, as well as already in motion.

They may not be hands on but you can bet they'll be paying close attention. Kennedy now answers to Disney, don't forget that.

15. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ How do I know this for sure? Because of the way Pixar and Marvel currently operate; if the Disney Corporation didn't swoop in and start imposing their will with those companies, there is little chance that they'll suddenly start doing so with Lucasfilm.

There is also the fact that, in their official press release, Disney execs made it pretty clear that Lucasfilm will continue to remain an autonomous company with Kathleen Kennedy in charge, and that, insofar as the SW franchise is concerned, Mrs. Kennedy will be pretty much calling the shots, and the fact that George Lucas himself pretty clearly spelled out the reasons for selling his company to Disney and what that sale means for the future of his company and for the future of the SW franchise and brand.

16. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    For one thing.... George Lucas isn't an idiot. HE WENT TO DISNEY. Not the other way around.

17. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005

18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Actually TPM has a 57 percent ROTTEN. It did have a fresh rating of a 62, but then Jorge decided he'd re-release it in 3D and thus more critics panned it. :)

Can only imagine what AOTC will get. [face_skull]

19. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Jorge..... eh? You mean the guy who invented Star Wars? I'm still amazed by the people who pretend George ruined Star Wars.... ya know... he did kind of INVENT it too.

I really don't rush out to see 3D releases, but TPM was good in the format. The use of 3D was subtle... drawing the audience into the shots, rather than throwing the shots in the face just to call attention to the technology. Just can't win though. Usually people say "3D is a gimmick used to throw stuff at your face." TPM used it with restraint and as a result was accused of "not enough 3D.” I would be more accepting of the opinions of others when it comes to the prequels if all the complaints were not contradictions.

Its childish… but the politics are too complicated I couldn’t understand

Its boring… but it has the awesome pod race and the best light saber duel of the saga

The music sucks… but Duel of the Fates is the best.

Etc….

I am of the belief that when they start releasing Star Wars films not written, produced or directed by George Lucas there will be a new crowd of trolls saying "Its not real Star Wars like the prequel trilogy because GL isn't involved."

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  20. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Me too. I keep feeling like it's not going to be a Star Wars Movie but a Transformers or Marvel style of popcorn flick with all the background people from the original and Prequel trilogies tossed aside in preference for new fresh faces. Something I don't want to happen.

21. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I don't think anyone, anywhere will say this unless they are saying it ironically.

22. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    So what you are saying is that the majority of Star Wars fans don't want George Lucas (the creator) involved with Star Wars?

What I said above is in perfect fitting with the various "anti" groups that have formed among "fans" over the years. Anti-Special Edition. Anti-EU, Anti-Prequel.... now its going to be Anti-Disney...

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, they ARE reading the scripts...can't give a go, no go, if they don't think it works. Creative control is in Kennedy's hands, but she still needs a green light to go with it.

24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars is one of the most successful movie franchises of all time. Disney knows this, and won't, and likely CAN'T use a heavy hand in controlling the content. GL is a shrewd businessman and likely has many protections for franchise integrity written into the purchase agreement.

In purchasing Star Wars, Disney is purchasing a FAR more proven franchise than Marvel, and will treat it as such.

25. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The only anti-groups that have formed seemed to have done so in response to properties or entities that represent bad Star Wars efforts. I think that if Disney makes good Star Wars movies, they will not have anti-Disney groups form against them, with the possible exception of those who legitimately think George Lucas was good at making Star Wars movies and are resentful.