main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    quick post just to say YOU CALLED IT!!!

And I adopted this (that he was still alive) and was callin it to others since you said it- and during this week's episode I called exactly who was doin that stuff right off the bat. It was boss. Thanks!

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks. Also, it looks like the alert system has been fixed as I only got one alert for this reply.

Also I went to Wikipedia and accidentally stumbled upon something somebody put up as spoilers for Episode 8. All I can say is I sure as hell hope those are fake spoilers.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I do have to admit you got it with Anthony.

I still wonder who had Carol in their scope sights a couple episodes back.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They said on Talking Dead it was probably Andrew. (not Anthony :mad: )

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My soap opera training (I.E., if there's no body, odds are their not dead) paid off. Though I could have sworn he was called Anthony in 3x02.[face_dunno]

As for who was watching Carol, my bets (without looking at spoilers, so pure spec.) are on Merle. He doesn't know the group beyond those who left him on the roof (like Andrea) and thus probably wouldn't recognize Carol, who he's never met, if she was the only one he saw.

Also, it looks like Wiki's removed it's potentially spoilery summary for 3x08.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know who Andrew is. I didn't actually recognize this guy but I presumed he was the guy they sent off to die... I haven't seen that episode in a while so I didn't remember what that guy looked like.

7. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    They showed Andrew's stranding on the recap sequence this week, so I thought it was pretty obvious it was him when I saw the gate lock getting hacked off.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm saying his name is Andrew, not Anthony. There is no Anthony on the show. Jus' sayin'.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't watch the recap and I didn't remember anyone saying that character's name, so :p

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think they ever say his name on the show. It's just a :-Bissue for me. :p Plus, there's a corresponding character in the comic for Andrew, so there's that.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I only assumed it was Anthony because people here said so. That's the last (and first) time I listen to you all.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Merle knew everyone at the original campsite. He and Darryl were officially part the group. When Rick first met them, Merle was on a supply run into Atlanta with Andrea, Glenn, T-Dog, and Jacqui. They were all from that campsite at the quarry where Lori and Carl and the rest were.
    Plus, if Merle did see anyone alive in the prison he probably would have told the Governor and they would have been attacked and raided like the National Guardsmen were.

MrZAP and Darth_Deception like this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah if Merle had seen Carol at the prison he'd instantly be going in to see if Daryl were there. I would have stronger bets on the Governor being the one with the scope (maybe one of his other deputies). Because clearly he doesn't want Merle to go find Daryl. Not just because it's dangerous but because most likely it's a way that the Governor keeps Merle in line. It's a piece of information on him that he can use, a pressure point. Most likely he knows that if Merle did find Daryl, he might risk losing one of his top watchdogs, one of his angry and vengeful cronies. An angry and desperate man is much more likely to fight for someone he thinks can help him or give him guidance. There's got to be a reason they fixed Merle up while they killed those National Guardsman. My guess is, he only keeps those he knows he can control.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    While I hope they are going to keep the Governor/prison storyline going for at least a season (though who knows with how quickly they are burning through things), I have to wonder if the spy is a product of the producers seeding a future storyline...

In the comics:
    After things with the prison go to hell, Rick and company run into a couple of guys that have been observing them from a distance and gauging whether or not their group would be a good fit for their closed community that they have managed to build and even expand. If they are working on Season 4 stories, I have a feeling that this mysterious figure in the bushes is someone who keeps popping up and keeps fans guessing but isn't necessarily part of the main plot.

The easy answer is that its someone from Woodbury, and that I am giving the producers too much credit, but I would like to think that they are planning that far ahead with the story.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Rewatching the episode right now and I forgot that Merle mentioned Martinez, one of the Governor's lackeys who has a somewhat important role on the comics.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Andrew or whatever-the-****-his-name-was not being dead was stupid. We heard him get eaten. If the zombies didn't touch him, why would he have been screaming like that? He clearly wasn't that big an idiot since he survived and hatched this revenge/escape plot. Did the writers seriously change their minds two episodes later without fixing the previous script?

Also, T-Dog was a horribly undeveloped character with a horrible nickname who was clearly just kept around to be the token black guy, and he gets offed just when another black character comes along. Lovely.

Also, I hate the convention of a horde of walkers being able to sneak up on people when it's convenient. Usually they're groaning and moaning and snarling and shuffling.

WHY DIDN'T MAGGIE SHOOT LORI?! She cut the woman open and pulled a ****ing baby out with her bare hands. You're telling me she couldn't have handed the baby to Carl and done the deed and not make the poor kid kill his own mother (she probably wasn't dead yet)? On a related note, c-sections like that are survivable. They've been around since long before modern medicine. Sure, Maggie wasn't trained and she could have damaged something, but Lori dying from the procedure was by no means a sure thing if they got Herschel or Carol over there with some supplies. Hell, the old dude survived a really sloppy foot amputation without complications.

I have a problem, you guys. This show has certainly improved this season and carnage is entertaining, but God the writing's still pretty bad.

Rogue_Ten and MASTERPRENN like this.
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The decision making by some of the characters has always been kind of stupid. I guess we're used to it now? :p

Regarding this season, it has started out pretty good but I hope it can maintain its momentum. I can't help but think of other shows that start off seasons really well and end up going downhill halfway through right to the end. In a way, Season 2 did it correctly by having a build up (albeit a long freakin' build up) to a strong second half.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I completely agree. Just think of how the hold the governor has over the people in town could change if another strong willed, and armed group would come in. It could potentially change the structure of leadership in his little town. It's pretty much the same reason he killed off the military guys. He saw them as competition for his crown and had them eliminated before they could step up to the plate. Merle goes out and finds his friends and brother the whole picture changes.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm a bit dissapointed that we won't get a T-Dog/Merle reunion. What with him dropping the keys and all, I thought they were building to at least one scene where they meet again.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So was I actually. Oh well.

21. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah it's disappointing but at least he died a good death. Plus that is one less confrontation Merle will have once he meets Rick and Co.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Evan, while I agree that T Dog dying right when we get a new black guy is awful, I actually disagree with your other points.

We heard Andrew scream but he was surrounded by Walkers. The gore sounds could easily have been him hitting them with something. I didn't assume necessarily that he was dead. I don't think they changed their minds in two eps at all.

Of course Maggie could have shot Lori and was going to. Carl was the one who said he wanted to do it.

C-sections might be survivable if you can stitch someone up... but Hershel was already really far away. They made a point of showing that. But let's say somehow she hadn't bled out yet, which she probably would have because Maggie was totally untrained and probably hit all kinds of arteries.... Hershel didn't have any medical supplies with him. No way in hell could she have been saved.

I think this season has by and far been really well written. The stories, characters, and scenes themselves have been good. And the end of this episode was great.

MrZAP likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Also, I think most people would scream like a banshee when surrounded by Walkers, regardless of getting eaten or not.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I was being sarcastic about them changing their minds, but they were clearly and cheaply trying to mislead us. That situation was inescapable from what we'd seen before. He was unarmed, caught off-guard, and he was barely named.

Was it the right thing to defer to barely-pubescent boy on whether he should shoot his still-living mother in the head? Ehh, I get that it's necessary to do stuff like give him a gun and more responsibility than he would have otherwise, but there's also the fact that he's not biologically the same as an adult and shouldn't be allowed to make weighty decisions that aren't necessary for him to make. If anything, they don't want another psychopath to deal with when he grows up.

It potentially would have taken her a long time to die-- bleed out-- from her injuries. If Maggie manage to avoid nicking the baby, it's possible she didn't sever any major blood vessels either. We don't know because all three of the people present assumed that the operation was 100% unsurvivable. I think she should've just gotten bit, then it would've been much easier to justify the inevitability of her death.

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    So glad they offed Laurie the way they did here. I was wondering if they would even do that giving the gruesomeness of her death in the comic...looks like they're going to one up that.

Also was it just me, or did the governor drop a hint that his daughter is with him? If so, bwa ha ha ha ha...I thought they were also going to cut that out

Juliet316 and MrZAP like this.