main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Call me crazy but less force/jedi stuff

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You my friend are very right. I guess 13 hours isn't enough. Light sabers are not everything

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It isn't Star Wars without a focus on Jedi and the Force.

And the PT never really explained who the Sith were and what they were all about, either.

3. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    The Force / Jedi are synonymous with Star Wars. They are an inseperable element, and they have to feature somehow in the new trilogy.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    They are, and they will, but I'd like to see more "normal" people.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Unless they want to mass retcon, the Sith should be EXTINCT FOREVER once Sidious hits that reactor.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    As much as I love the PT, can we please have less *silly* Force stuff? No cutting fruit with lightsabers or getting free drinks or rehabbing Deathstick dealers or floating pears or any of that stuff. It was awesome seeing Qui Gon give the Chance Cube an extra tumble, but it's done now.

7. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Don't need a crap ton of Jedi and/sith swinging sabers. But like to have more spiritual talk about the force in this one. Wasn't much in the PT.

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I hope the remaining Jedi die in the first 10 minutes of Episode VII and the rest of the trilogy is all about Gungan politics with peaceful resolutions.

9. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    "But, weesa wanting big bombad trade route!"
    "Oh, you have goods for trade?"
    "Meesa got a whole Heyblibber-full busting with goodie-goods. It's out back. Meesa getting, okie-day?"

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Unlikely in the movies. In VII sure but its only going to increase from there. Its highly unlikely that the big bad is not going to be a force user.

11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The ST is going to have a lightsaber fight or two...no way they do away with that in the first new trilogy under new management.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The Sith were never extinct, and as long as there are Jedi there will always be Sith. Can't have light without dark.

13. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Frankly, this saga has come to the point where the villain needs to be more dangerous than a Sith. The story needs to progress, not sit in the same spot treading water. What do you think your reaction will be if they roll out yet another Sith lord as the heavy? I know what mine will be: "Big whoop". It's a big galaxy, with a little imagination Im sure there's something out there that doesn't have anything to do with the Force but is still capable of giving our heroes a boot in the arse.

14. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    It all depends on how you define Sith on whether or not they should be extinct. If by Sith you mean dark beings who use the force, then to say the Sith should be extinct makes zero sense. Anakin's actions are literally incapable of making all Jedi for the rest of time never become evil. If you mean Sith as the specific order that Sidious came from then that is true, but you can still have dark force user. Jedi and evil force users are going to remain in Star Wars folks. Deal with it. Obviously I want a good story, but there are plenty of movies with good stories that are not Star Wars. The force and beings who use it are the center of the Star Wars universe. Having movies where it does not play a pivotal role would be box office suicide, Use non-jedi related stories for other mediums like books, games, and TV shows,

15. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I just think the story of the "Good Side vs Dark Side" conflict has been told. Our new heroes should obviously have the Force on their side, but I'd like to see the villains counter it with something else.

16. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    The good vs evil story is a huge essence to Star Wars though. it is a story that real life has been telling since the dawn of time. If you have force user you are going to have some who will abuse that power. It just makes sense. Do they have to go that route? Certainly not. Do they have to avoid it in the movies to avoid cliche? Absolutely not.

17. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Sure it made sense, but the 'opposite ends of the Force' story has been told already. Why do some fans of this series insist on seeing the same patterns over & over again? Good vs Evil, of course. Why does the evil have to be the Dark Side of the Force? Time for a new challenge for our protagonists.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I liked the variety in the OT's cast rather than a saturation of Jedi in the PT. I think they can tone the Jedi back from being the sole focal point of the tale, but they should definitely be there. You can't take the fantasy and "magic" out of Star Wars.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  19. LordDeschain

LordDeschain Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    I would be appalled if there was no dark side of the force in the new SW! As a huge EU fan and SW fan in general I always found the dark side more interesting for many reasons. The powers are way cooler, the characters are too, I'm sorry but Vader is more memorable and way more popular then Luke will ever be even if he is the spotlight of the next 6 frigging movies. The force jedi and some kind of dark sider need to be involved an a pretty large scale, if not its simply not SW. If you don't want the force then go watch any of the other 1,000+ movies that are produced each year that are not SW.

NOW any other subsequent stand aloneish type movies could totally be without much or any Jedi/Sith! And hopefully this is where Disney can keep SW going well into the future. Why couldn't they do a movie focusing more on a bounty hunter or Jabba type crime syndicates. In addition there is also a tv series planned so they can bring in more central characters that don't use the force and keep it more mysterious there.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  20. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    This is the kind of thinking that I'm talking about. Same old same old. I'm not advocating the removal of the Force, I just want a new kind of threat. This whole "it's not Star Wars if it isn't Good Side vs Dark Side of the Force" way of thinking is closed minded, IMO. Ymmv.

21. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    It's true though. EU has tried to do things outside of this, and always faced resistance form the majority of fans. If you want something else then look for it elsewhere is what I would say. Other stories do different things. Let Star Wars be what it is.

22. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    That's the problem though. A segment of the fanbase refuses to let this go & just wants to see the same thing over & over again. There are people who want the story to actually go somewhere. Star Wars doesn't have to be so formulaic, it can be so much more.

23. LordDeschain

Nov 6, 2012
    Guess we have to agree to disagree ;) I feel they should explore the dark side more a character with a real intimate level with it like they do in many EU books. They never actually did that in either trilogy, again its SW, where the hell else can I get the dark side of the force? We may as well take wizards out of fantasy stories, maybe remove the forward pass in football! Point is the force is part of SW, and where there is light there must be shadow.

The practical business sense of Disney wanting to make back a large ROI on their 4B investment ensures there will be plenty of force, and that includes the dark. I hope they do it eloquently however; no need to show the sith lord in episode 7, we never really met the emperor until episode 6.

24. LordDeschain

Nov 6, 2012
    SW can and will be so much more, we will have at least 6 more movies, you can be sure of that. Then possibly stand alones, in addition to tv shows. Personally I watch waaaaay more tv shows over movies nowadays, IMO many are better at developing character ie, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Homeland, Dexter, the list goes on. A SW tv show can feature a totally different facet of the SW universe and I am 100% pro that direction, I don't think everything they make concerning SW from here on out should be just sith/jedi (and plenty will be coming).

But for the main saga the "episodes" if you will, the struggle from light and dark needs to be there through the force, the director just needs to be creative about it.

25. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Again, just because the Dark Side isn't there doesn't mean the Good Side is gone too (close minded assumption).