main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm pretty certain it's the Baggins family tree. The resolution isn't very good, but the title looks very much like "Baggins of Hobbiton", and there are 5 children in the second generation, which fits with the family tree in the LOTR Appendices.

2. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    First preview of Howard Shore's "Hobbit" music (aside from the "Misty Mountains" song heard in the first trailer): Radagast the Brown :D :D [face_love]

I love the jig-like rhythm, and also the Mordoresque motif which, I suppose, is to hint at the darkness in Dol Guldur.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Argh. I wish I wasn't at work. :p

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Interesting. I'd have to see the film, of course, but it seems a bit disjointed...

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Do you know, I'm having a bit of Fridge Logic here (or maybe Fridge Brilliance?) to explain certain things in the LOTR movies... What if Radagast went to confront the Necromancer at some point in the Hobbit timeline, perhaps not knowing yet that he was Sauron under a new guise, and in this battle realised that he was utterly out of his depth? What if this fight, out of which he escaped barely alive, rendered him unable to assume his preferred form of wizard, and he was reduced to take the appearance of that most humble animal, a moth or night butterfly? What if, as friend of all things living and winged creatures, he thus visited Gandalf when he was Saruman's prisoner, and brought the Eagles to help him escape? And to make further amends, brought them again to the Black Gates so that Sauron would be at last defeated?

I know it's far-fetched at best, but then again, it isn't so completely illogical.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Interesting idea. :) It would make another nice tie to the LOTR trilogy and would explain the replacement of Radagast with a moth.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Advanced ticket sales, plus LOTR marathon!

I'm not saying Hobbit can beat Avatar, but it's possible Jackson will give Marvel's Avengers a run for its money. To me Hobbit recalls the anticipation for ESB in 1980, or for Episode I in April 1999, without the negativity that crept into the Phantom Menace wait. With the exception of the frame rate controversy, I don't see how Jackson could have done any better working with the fans to build Hobbit hype.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Controversy like the frame rate thing only helps build hype and anticipation as well.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    In any case, Tolkien fan management over the course of the Hobbit production will likely become a case study in movie marketing success. I feel brazenly manipulated in all the right ways, from the production videos to the iPad Hobbit app through the trailers and so on.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    New TV spot! :D

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Is "HFR 3D" the official designation for 48 fps venues?

12. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, the acronym would be a fit for something akin to "High Frame Rate", so I think you're right on that account...

Cheers,

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    New shots from 'Riddles in the Dark'! [face_dancing]

Lauré's idea re: Radagast is very neat, but perhaps too neat. The more Radagast the better IMHO, but it might feel like too much effort has been applied to knit the trilogies together. I'd rather keep the links subtle.

14. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I never said that they had to show the transformation on screen, though. They might only hint at it for a few seconds, by showing a moth appearing out of nowhere, for example, or by having Gandalf say, perhaps in answer to a question by Galadriel, "His strength is much diminished, and I'm afraid he will never be the same". At any rate, it's only an idea, and it will be fun to see if they make something of it... or not. In the meantime, it's fun to speculate.

Cheers,

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Correct. It stands for "high frame rate" and should include 48 fps, 60 fps (I believe Cameron is shooting the Avatar sequels in this frame rate) and any other frame rate higher than the traditional 24 fps.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh, absolutely. It could work really well if it's handled with a nudge and a wink.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Found this on Tumblr:

[​IMG]
    :oops: :p

[​IMG]

18. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm hoping its a joke......please....

19. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    By the Valar! Did he mayhap not think of merely looking up said books' publishing dates before making such an uneducated comment? Sometimes I wonder at some persons' willful ignorance...
    In any case, I will, for once, take a page out of Gollum's book and say:

Cheers,

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Methinks trolling.

MrZAP likes this.
  21. darth-bendy-ned

darth-bendy-ned Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    I remember the furore (on these boards no less) when the name of the "second" movie was announced - people were up in arms that Tolkein had the nerve to call the movie the Two Towers, and that was it, they were boycotting the cinema.

Someone (I forget who) very amusingly said that they were a huge Elvis fan, and if Jackson et al had the disrespect to call the third film "Return of the King" they were going to march on Parliament.

I don't think the OP got the sarcasm....

Random Comments likes this.
  22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Unguarded Galadriel. Beautiful. [face_love]

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know whether The Hobbit trilogy will be any good, or whether HFR 3D will send me sobbing to solojones begging for forgiveness, but I have to say I am truly excited. The Hobbit was the book of my childhood and the book that I waited impatiently for my boys to be old enough so that I could read it aloud to them. This movie means more to me than LOTR, and we have waited a very long time for Jackson to make it. I'm extremely pleased that everything fell into place for Jackson to direct. I can't wait to see it with my boys and some of my old friends who went to see LOTR with me. It's just a movie, but it represents the history of my literary education, the books that came after Dr. Seuss but before Twain and Melville, the literary bridge between me and my children, the successor films to my childhood love of Star Wars, although of course there's still room for Star Wars.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Great post, Jabba. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to read "The Hobbit" to one's children, or to see their faces as they read it for themselves.

Is it December, yet?