main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do people have against darth vader building c3po?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched it from 1-6, so I never really had a problem with it.

2. Sethian Eber

Sethian Eber Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    In 1999, for me the idea of the kid who would become Darth Vader building a protocol droid that would become C-3PO seemed absurd and a plot inconsistency. It also seemed too much of a coincidence. It's not a plot inconsistency though and it's not really much of a coincidence considering he stays on Tatooine, Anakin returns and C-3PO gets picked up, C-3PO winds up on an Alderaan ship which is ultimately under her adopted father. Which winds up near Tatooine because that's were Obi-Wan is. But nobody really knew any of this at the time so the hate stays with you for irrational reasons mostly. IMO at least. It didn't bother me that he made the droid considering he worked in a junk shop.

When I was 4 I thought Artoo and Threepio were the main characters of all of the OT films. They resonated the most with me. GL and others used to say that they would be in all 9 films which was shortened to 6 and sort of told from their perspective (which is why my 4-year-old brain thought they were the main characters). Now that I've accepted the prequels as SW films, I actually really like Artoo and Threepio. Even the AOTC droid factory thing and yes even 'naked' Threepio in TPM. It works, it just didn't work at the time for me

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    My sentiments exactly...

It was a VERY cheap move.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Are you against C3po and r2d2 being anakin and padme's robot companions, or are you just against the plot point of Anakin building C3po and u wanted c3po to have a better creation story???

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Your original question makes no mention of 3PO & R2 being anyone's companions...

And yes, I am against Father Skywalker being 3PO's maker, for all the reasons mrfantastic said.;)

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why do u call him father skywalker?

It's just a simple question. Are you against threepio and r2 being anakin's companions? It's part of the topic. I"m not going off topic.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I call him Father Skywalker for fun and I have no problem with the droids being Anakin/Padme's companions.
    As noted above, my beef lies with Anakin being 3PO's creator.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why does your beef lie with Anakin being c3po's creator? Well, if you're so against that for whatever reason, where do you think c3po should have come from?

Also, do you like r2 and threepio being anakin/padme's companions? If u made the prequels, would you have kept that?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    As long as Anakin didn't create 3PO, he could have come from anywhere, for all I care...

The rest, I've already answered.

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    C3po shouldve come from another galaxy.........

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Careful, you might not like what happens if you persist.;)

Consider this your fair warning...
    Lest you prove to me, that all the reports on your trolling-behavior are true.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok. I understand...

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Excellent.

And one more thing:

Constantly quoting the same person when you are actively engaged in a discussion with that member, is HIGHLY annoying.;)

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by constantly quoting when actively engaged in a discussion??

15. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
  16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Back to the topic - I didn't like it as it felt like cheap writing to appeal to fans (like others have said). My main annoyance was that I didn't need an origin story for every character and every droid and every ship. I'm an old fart who grew up with the OT, but I loved what the PT brought. But, wow, did I not need to know that Anakin, who lived on Tatooine - just as his secretly-hidden-away son would years later - built a protocol droid for his mother who ended up dying, forcing the kid to become Darth Vader, who would later battle his own son who had been keeping company with his dad's homemade protocol droid over the years as they worked to protect his own sister, who no one but Yoda and Ben knew about. It just added too much "business" to the story.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. I ask so many SW questions because Star Wars has a rich storyline that it doesnt explain. Why did so and so do this? Who the hell is that? What if this happened? Did this cause this?

Who the hell is General Grevious? I agree.

I actually like reading the books however. Star Wars isn't just my movie-night stuff. It's my intellectual literature life.

Another plot hole-did Tarkin survive the DS1 in A New Hope? How do we know he died? Assumption?

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Do you think Anakin should have come from Tattoine in the first place? If not what other planet he should have come from? A totally new made up one? That's what I think.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  19. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    It's canon that Anakin is from Tantooine. That was established by Ben in the OT.

20. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I liked that Anakin built C3PO. I thought it was cool when I watched the movie... But I was 14 at the time.

Looking back I can see the point that it is just a little too coincidental considering the SW is MASSIVE but I still think its cool.
    I always wondered though if Darth Vader remembered Threepio in ESB when Han is frozen in carbonite? Threepio is squealing pretty loudly lol.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, he recognizes Threepio after the blasted bits are shown to him by the stormtroopers that shot him. He orders Threepio sent to be demolished. Chewie "found him in a junk pile" as per the movie. When Vader finds out, he shrugs and has Threepio's bits sent to Chewie's cell, figuring there's no point trying to destroy him.

This is actually from a Star Wars Tales comic- and was upgraded to C-canon by its inclusion in the book (Star Wars Tales are of uncertain canonicity unless other sources reference them).

22. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Vader building 3P0 = brilliant.

23. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Not exactly. Perhaps Anakin stayed on Tatooine for a while with Uncle Owen and it was at that point that Owen suggested he "stay here" and not get involved. As far as I know that is the only reference to Anakin being "from Tatooine" in the OT films.

In that sense, Anakin found by Kenobi working on a ship as a pilot or navigator (on a spice freighter) and only later coming to Tatooine and being asked by his "relative"...brother or brother-in-law? to stay here and not go off with a Jedi, would still make sense I think.

24. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I'm with sinkie on this.

However, although Ben's use of the word "here" seems to imply that at least Owen was from Tatooine, I would have preferred if the PT had introduced the Larses and Anakin as being from another planet, other than Tatooine. It would have made more sense come Ep IV for the Larses and Ben to be in hiding on a backwater world that Anakin had never been to. I mean, the fact that Ben brings Luke back to Anakin's family on his homeworld, when he is supposed to be in hiding, is a little moronic.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ben didn't know Anakin had been rescued at the time. When he found out- he wanted to take Luke away immediately- but Qui-Gon's ghost told him that wasn't necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.