main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What are your fears for the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 6, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'll start with my own list of fears:

-The trilogy will once again use the Sith or a bunch of evil Force-users as the antagonists. Seriously, the galaxy is too big. Have some other person or faction threaten the Jedi.

-That Earth will be in it somehow. It's a baseless fear, I know, but I can't help it. I mean, when you saw The Phantom Menace for the first time, did you expect someone as exasperating as Jar Jar Binks to enter the picture? No? Well, that's why I'm expecting the unexpected. I'm expecting some big ****-ups in the new trilogy in case they do happen, so that if or when they do, at least I expected it; at least it's not a surprise. And speaking of Jar Jar Binks...

-Jar Jar Binks. I hope he's not alive by the beginning of the trilogy. Sadly, I can see Jar Jar appearing because like I've said a couple times already, Disney will want to bring in the younger generation to the Star Wars fanbase and so therefore, they may make an effort to attract them by putting Jar Jar in the movies, no matter how antipathetic adult/adolescent fans are towards him. Or it may not even be because of that. Maybe the treatments of the films that George has written for Disney have the character in it?

-That the movies will retcon Thrawn out of existence. Now I'm OK with this happening to the Yuuzhan Vong(though that will probably aggravate the minority fans that actually do like them) but Thrawn is sort of the pinnacle of EU greatness. He's a symbol of everything good about the EU. To take Thrawn away could alienate the entire EU fanbase. They'll always associate that retcon with the sequels. Of course, maybe I'm exaggerating the hypothetical fan outrage. Maybe people are willing to accept retcons as big as what I just described, but fans who grew up with the EU will nonetheless be upset.

- The Mandalorians to being the villains of the new trilogy. A couple people have said that they should. Now, I could see them as side-villains who work for the main antagonist. But to HAVE them as the main antagonists of the story would be boring. Mandalorians are badass but that's the only thing going for them. They'll never be a threat like Palpatine was, who could turn the whole galaxy against itself, kick ass, and destroy the Jedi Order in the most unexpected way. Palpatine was interesting because he was subtle. If the Mandalorians once again posed a threat to the galaxy, it wouldn't be subtle. It would mostly be by brute strength. That, and the Mandalorians are 2-dimensional. Not only can they not carry a plot but they're not original villains.

-The new movies having bad directors. I hope Disney considers having people like Brad Bird helm at least one of the movies. But I'm also afraid that they'll make a grievous error such as having Michael Bay or M. Night Shyamalan to direct the movies or at least one of them. Perhaps George Lucas will have a sudden change of heart about going into retirement and decide to direct the new set of films?

-John Williams won't be directing the score.

-No notable progression in technology.

-There is no "New Republic" and the Rebellion will still be the Rebellion. I don't want a continuation of the Rebellion storyline. I hope Disney doesn't use that plot.

-No diversity in new planets.

And that's about all that I'm afraid of for the new trilogy. As for the topic, what are you worried about in regards to the new trilogy?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The Sith...yeah...hope they avoid them. The galaxy is a huge place and many other threats are out there as well.

The Earth one I highly doubt.

As for Jar Jar...i honestly think that they have learned their lession on that one. I think that rarely has a character been so universally hated.

I'm afraid that they just stuff it full of cameos and reappearances of characters from previous movies just to prove that it's "part of the same saga."
    In fact, any kind of over-referencing of past events would be quite tiresome.

The story must move forward!

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't fear the unknown when it comes to Star Wars! I welcome new ideas and can't wait to see what they come up with!

4. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Nothing wrong with a Sith story, but it seems wierd when they drop them in like they did with Maul And Dooku. No backstory, just a bad guy outta nowhere.

codex of tython likes this.
  5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Palpatine was subtle? o_O

6. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I hope the writer and director stick to George's Story treatments.

George might suck at writing dialogue or directing actors, but he is a beast when it comes to coming up with ideas, characters, and stories and also great at directing action and effects.

TreborSabreon and hunter77 like this.
  7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Of course he was! He was Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic without anyone knowing!

Well, OK, maybe that implies sneakiness, but still!

8. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Oh, I see. I was thinking more about the whole declaring himself Emperor of the Galaxy and enslaving or killing millions under tyrannical Imperial rule. And blowing up planets and such. My bad. ;)

9. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    No Mara. :(

Team Padme likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, I guess you could say he was deceptive up until he gained power. Then once that happened, there was no point in being so. Also, wasn't it Tarkin that give the orders to blow up Alderaan?

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Red One

Red One Jedi Master star 1

Jul 7, 1999
    "What are your fears for the sequel trilogy?"

• Han Solo and Princess Leia get married.
    • They have twins.
    • Jar Jar is their Nanny.
    • Or...Chewbacca is their Nanny...
    Please, just don't make it anything from the books, all 1,000 of them.

Also, these story lines really make me nervous
    • Anything with remants of the Empire.
    • Anything with the Rebellion setting up Government shop.
    I suppose a movie will have to be about something that isn't going properly because why else would we pay to watch the movie.
    They could try a thread along the lines of:
    • Palpatine expected this turn of events and set such and such plan in place (oh...I hope not)
    • The multi-billion dollar defense industry was really behind the all of the wars...supplying Tie fighters, X-wings, and Jedi Light Sabers. The Title might be Star Wars: Wag the Republic". Make the villian a short, corporate worm.

12. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    -Flying R2

-Gungans

-Yuuzhan Vong

-Thrawn

-Joruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus C'baoth

-Really anything from early EU, or late EU for that matter.

Honestly just hoping for a nice hand off from the old generation to the new so the series can move forward not backward.

13. Sethian Eber

Sethian Eber Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    If they include the original cast in any role, I hope it's a little more than a brief cameo. I fear a re-cast or a Tron Legacy CGI job.

I don't fear contradictions to the EU, contradictions can be retroactively explained for fans of that kind of stuff. I think the EU is one of the reasons some fans favor a re-cast. I'd prefer a new cast and plot elements with the original cast present to 'pass the torch' so-to-speak.

No fears otherwise. I'm just excited there are more Star Wars films on the way. If they continue releasing them indefinitely, there are bound to be some stinkers and some incredible. Some of you younger folks might not know this, but there was a 'dark age' for Star Wars in between the release of ROTJ until about 1991. People lost interest in SW and moved on. There were a few things here and there, the Star Tours attraction being the major one, but other than that it looked like SW's popularity was gone. There was no merchandise at the toy store either (hard to believe today). The first Zahn novel along with Dark Horse's Dark Empire brought on a tremendous wave of nostalgia and SW revitalization in the early 90s coupled with GL's prequel announcement. They were showing the films on cable and then merchandise and video games appeared. It's never let up since and now SW is permanently a part of pop culture and in the category of timeless. I thought people would get sick of it after ROTS but they didn't. No 'dark age' this time around.

14. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    That in case they decide to make the story about Luke's, Leia's and Han's children they will be 7 year olds, Jake Lloyd-ing throughout the first movie.
    In other words please no "little Bennie", "little Jainnie", "little Jaceny", "little Annie" or "little Lowbaccy". Just...please...no...

15. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The films will create new main protagonists named Skywalker or Solo with zero backstory instead of using two awesome characters with plenty of backstory named Skywalker and Solo.

The films will retcon out of existence the NJO, DNT, LotF, and FotJ, I don't claim to love everything about these series, but why would GL allow them to be made just to go back and erase them. At that point I'm thinking you should have held the reigns of your creation a little tighter George.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This should be the easiest slam-dunk in cinema history.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What will be bad:

Casting actors who aren't very good
    Giving a child a prominent role
    No "used future" concept, everything shiny and new
    Another ultimate superweapon, like the Galaxy Gun
    No continuity
    Silly aliens that have a major role. I'm all for cutesy or comedy aliens but they shouldn't be major characters in the story.

Beaker416 likes this.
  18. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    After reading these forums, my only fear is that they WON'T have sith or dark jedi.

19. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    • If the old gang is together, and it is legitimately spaced apart age-wise, nothing drives me more nuts than the SUPEROVERFORCED "I'm TOO OLD for this..." lines. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggghhh lame-o
    • LONG drawn-out scenes shot on blue-screen/green-screen with wooden acting. Lets get some on-location shooting already.
    • Wacky Crazy Kids doing amazingly awesome wacky crazy things, like accidentally piloting their ships and destroying whole batallions of ships. I understand the need to introduce heroic children/kiddy scenes, but the OT achieved that just fine without that garbage.
    • NOT seeing a Gonk Droid Sith Warrior. He is a tortured soul, and just can't handle it anymore.
    • I'd love to see Wicket back, in some aspect. Jedi Wicket would be great

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Sith verses Jedi is a signature STAR WARS element but there could be others in place of it. Just because Luke is a Jedi doesn't mean he has to start a New Jedi Order. I can understand how people wouldn't want to see another series of masters and apprentices.
    I'm hoping it doesn't pull a Prometheus and look a lot like a related movie. Just because Prometheus was a prequel to Alien, didn't mean it had to follow the same formula of discovering a ship, getting a facehugger in the face kind of thing, not wanting a contaminating creature to come onboard, etc.
    I hope good or interesting actors aren't wasted in inadequate roles. Joel Edgerton, Temeura Morrison, Rose Byrne, Rena Owen, Natalie Portman, Susie Porter, Bruce Spence...

21. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That EVII will be pushed back to 2016.

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I fear the possibility of half the cast being over 60. And the old characters shouldn't just be cameo's, they should have legitimate rolls of some kind. That is an important aspect of movie making, making sure everyone has something to do. You don't just toss an old character in there for him to say "hi," and then "bye." Nor would I bet on many of the returning actors wanting such a role. And you can bet on each and every OT character from Luke to Wedge will appear. You can bet on seeing Ackbar, you can bet on seeing Yoda, and you can bet on seeing Boba Fett. This is a sequel to ROTJ after all, half the fun will be catching up with old friends and seeing them go on new adventures. And it will have these characters, so if you want an all new adventure set apart from them, you best forget it. Bringing back the old characters is good business from a profitability stand point.

Seeing these characters have adventures in their 30's and 40 is fine, but not in their 60's or 70's. Also, will audiences care about the new youngers mains if they are overshadowed by the characters the audience still care's about more?

Most people fear a recast, I fear bringing back all these old people in cameo or substantial roles. One thing people realised about Indiana Jones after watching Crystal Skull is that they love Harrison Ford, they just don't like an old Indie.

I really don't know how they are going to pull this off, and I fear the consequences.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I never got the impression people don't like Indy 4 because Ford is old, more becuase of Shia Laboeuf & his tarzan impression.
    Also, aliens

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Maybe, but either way I just don't want to see the film criticized for having a bunch of geriatrics in it. It's not the type of criticism Disney will want. So in that case you really can't have the old people gonig on adventures with the new. You therefore have to reduce their roles. So what does that mean? that means who's ever writing this thing better create the best little group of young characters EVER. Something that is hard to do and very seldom successful. TRON: Legacy for example. Who gave a crap about the new kid? I was there for Bridges, and I garuantee a majority of other people were also.

And there is another fear. That the audience will want to see what's up with the old guys, and not give a crap about the new. Yet the old guys are probrably going to be there, and probably in more then cameo roles. It's a balancing act from hell, and it can breed disaster.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I fear the following happening;

No Star Wars opening crawl
    Re-casting of our heroes
    No John Williams
    Overriding the EU