main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah, definitely. Grantham / Bates. :D I do wonder if Anna's comment to Bates about standing for public office was a pointer to a possible series 4 storyline. Downton does love a pointer, after all. I'd love it.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I think that, along with the resolution of Matthew and Mary's "baby problem", were the seeds of possible Series 4 storylines. But even if there's no Series 4 after the Christmas Special, this episode brought a nice closure to everything. And if certain major actors can't/won't participate in Series 4, I'd rather have a prequel series with young Robert and Cora, than a cut-down continuation of the series that just wouldn't be the same.

And speaking of the Christmas Special, I think Mary should totally be/become pregnant in it. :D

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agreed. Downton must stand tall or not at all. If everyone returns then I would definitely want a 4th series. If it looks like attendance will be patchy then let the show go out on a high... a beautiful standalone Christmas special. [face_love]

I support the prequel idea on the basis of a young Cora alone. [face_love]

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oooh, can we start speculating on potential casting of young Robert, Cora and the Dowager? :D

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    But my goodness, casting a younger Violet is almost an impossible task. :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think that Bette Davis could've pulled off a younger Violet.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There is a likeness, yes.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's a shame Martin Freeman (41) isn't a bit younger. I think he looks enough like Hugh Bonneville (48). Having played Arthur Dent, John Watson and now Bilbo Baggins, Lord Grantham definitely fits the bill of classic British character. :p

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    maggie smith could have pulled off a younger violet in bette davis' time. as long as we're casting with a time machine

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Bette Davis? Sure. There's only that tiny bit of a problem that she's long dead. :p

Holy crap, Bonneville is only 7 years older than Freeman? [face_hypnotized] But as much as I love Martin Freeman, and while his face does resemble a (slightly) younger Hugh Bonneville, he's a good deal shorter, which might be a bit of a problem. :p

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah, amazing they're both in their 40s. Alas, the height is a problem. :( Back to the drawing board. :p

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Currently listening to 'Such Good Luck', which is essentially Matthew and Mary's romantic theme. It's on repeat. [face_love][face_love][face_love]

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  15. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope they release a second soundtrack. There have been some great additions to the score this season.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    A second collection (I haven't checked it out, yet) was released on the 21st September. At least, here it was.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The series is over. Today I began to think back to the start, to before the start... to that trailer:

Knowing what you know now, try watching that again without catching your breath. Time for a retrospective breakdown, I think. Clip by clip.

1) "Come war and peace, Downton still stands." Martha Levinson's introduction. She disappeared rather abruptly, and once brought the Dowager Countess to the edge of begging, but we should be thankful that she couldn't save Downton. Otherwise Matthew would still be looking for a way to exert his influence over Robert and the estate, and Tom would've taken that baby to Liverpool for sure.

2) Anna lighting the candles ahead of the dinner that never was. You know, the one that Martha 'saved with song' and Carson 'tolerated'. This was long before Bates was released. I admire her so much for getting on with her job, and getting on so well.

3) "Nothing succeeds like excess." The Dowager Countess stating a Dowager Countess fact. She's never wrong; we know that now. Funny that Fellowes decided to undermine the whole setup, though.

4) Miss Read and Alfred sharing a moment together. Ultimately, this was just part of the long game that placed Alfred outside of Jimmy's door as Thomas made his move. Alfred seems to fancy anything in a dress.

5) I originally guessed the shot of a couple driving was Edith and Sir Anthony Strallen, but it's not... it's Matthew and Mary. Flying through the countryside on the way back to Downton after their honeymoon. A symbol of the excess that Lord Grantham was worrying about, but a glorious return of the happy couple. We never saw the vehicle again. :( Before they head indoors Robert asks Matthew, "How was the honeymoon?". Matthew responds, "My eyes have been opened." "Don't I know it." A lovely exchange. :D So Matthew has returned as a more confident man. Sure, that confidence would shortly lead him up the stubborn garden path re: Mr. Swire's fortune, but he would soon see the light and become (IMO) a great and trustworthy future Earl.

6) "You have given me back my life." Sir Anthony Strallen busy making a fool of Edith. Looking back at it, considering his pale skin and stricken expression as he stood in the church, he must have known it was a game he could never finish. And yet he makes such a bold and reassuring statement to Edith when she is most vulnerable to it. Terrible, low behaviour. When I first saw the trailer I tried to imagine happiness for this couple, I felt sure it would work out after all Edith had (already) been through. Turns out she hadn't been through quite enough.

7) Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes stood alone in a darkened downstairs corridor. I surmised that something horrid had happened, and I was sort of right. The cancer subplot was handled well. No big fuss, which is perfectly in keeping with Mrs. Hughes' character. Mrs. Patmore didn't have a story of her own this series (but she did get some terrific one liners), so it was good to see her help her friend. The possibility of cancer hung over Mrs. Hughes, for (as I recall) a couple of episodes. It was a nervous time, but the pay off was lovely - Carson singing as he polished the silver. It was a great moment at the time, but looking back on it Carson really needed that boost as his life became an orgy of scandal and disgrace after that. :p

I also think the cancer subplot was useful in setting up Dr. Clarkson for his main role in the series. Clarkson is a bit of a buffoon, we all know that, but he handled Mrs. Hughes' problem well, with honesty and respect for the patient. He communicated well with her, and I felt he had the whole thing under control. Thus, on the night Lady Sybil died I related better to Clarkson than I might otherwise have done. Of course, the outright arrogance of Sir Philip Tapsell helped, too.

8) Tom Branson's return to Downton... through the front door. Carson gives him a look of absolute disgust. When we saw the episode for ourselves I think we all shared Carson's opinion. Little did we know... little did we know. This was a great clip to use in a trailer. It played up to our current opinion of Tom, whilst not even hinting at where the show would take him, and take us. Where before I saw a **** daring to tread on Downton's front entrance, now I see potential. Even Carson thought well of Tom when he chastised his brother for snubbing Cora's invitation.

9) Ethel hiding herself away from Isobel Crawley. One of the few story lines that didn't really work, I think. More accurately, it worked for others. Poor Ethel spent most of the first few episodes bursting in on Isobel's 'classes' before losing her nerve and bolting. She gave up her little boy - a genuinely moving moment (also allowed the brief return of Kevin McNally as Mr. Bryant). Then she became the focus of barbs and broad (and hilarious) disapproval - from the Dowager Countess, from Carson and from an explosive Lord Grantham. She even ousted Mrs. Bird!

10) "She finds our underbelly every time." Well... I must admit that although the Dowager Countess 'won the war', there were more than a few battles from which Martha Levinson emerged victorious. I think Violet was pleased to see the back of her. :p

11) OMG. Tom and Lady Sybil embracing each other after Tom's... 'mistake'. It was his last mistake, though, we can say that. Anyway, the scene works even better now I know the fate of the characters. Tom loved her with all his heart. As the music swells, this is where I must catch my breath.

12) and 13) A short clip of Anna smiling. I think it's when she receives all the letters Mr. Bates had sent her, kept from her until now by the prison authorities. Then Mr. Bates himself, smiling in his prison cell as he reads a letter from Anna. As he reads, he lets his laughter, his pleasure at what he is reading, move his whole body. I remember the end of that episode. It was beautiful. The couple separated, but still firmly in love. Now I've seen the last couple of episodes, featuring them together and free, these small moments of connectedness carry an even greater significance. They are hope. In my original assessment of the trailer I said that if Anna gets to be with Mr. Bates I would cry for her. Well... it didn't come to quite that, but there were lumps running the length of my throat. I also wondered if there would be a scene comparable to the courtyard scene ("You can call me John, now.") in the first episode of series two. Well there was. It was very different, just clips of the pair walking - hand in hand - in the woods. Gorgeous. [face_love] [face_love]

14) Edith kissing Sir Anthony Strallen. This is a continuation of the earlier scene. I look at that kiss now and despite Edith's rather selfish attitude earlier in the series I feel truly sorry for her.

15) Daisy and Jimmy dancing. Part of Jimmy's feud with Alfred.

16) Thomas looking longingly at Jimmy. The seeds of his sorrow. Not of his doom, as it turned out, for the show very skillfully turned him from deserving fall guy into a victim. Miss O'Brien is the new 'Most Hated'. Perhaps that is where our ire should've been directed all along, I don't know.

17) A short look at Matthew and Mary. I can't place this clip - not immediately anyway. I still love the way Matthew looks at Mary, and the smile that plays on her lips as she turns her head from him.

18) Mr. Bates demonstrating... industrial behaviour. :p He has this side to him. It's unpleasant, but I think necessary to give us that seed of doubt about his innocence. I certainly doubted him... for a moment or two.

19) Tom running in the darkness. That was Tom, right? Yes.

20) The back of the prison guard's head. I complained quite a bit about the how Bates' time in prison was extended because of characters like him, but as it turned out the pay off was worth it.

21) Lord Grantham in tears. This will be the moment he tells Cora of the perilous financial state the estate is in... the start of his descent into (essentially) embarrassment before his magnificent recovery at the cricket match (with Tom's words ringing in his ears).

22) Edith's discarded veil. Laura Carmichael's performance in that episode was magnificent. Sure, Edith went on to fail at romance yet again before the series finished, but this was her stand out moment. Also, she's absolutely beautiful. When she is crying on that bed, and her hair is free from Edith's shackles, she's absolutely beautiful.

23) "No family is ever what it seems from the outside." Says Violet. Indeed. Now the Crawleys have a chauffeur, journalist and (I suppose) car mechanic in their ranks. :p Quite what the Crawleys of 1912 would've made of that, I don't know! :p

24) Lady Sybil and Tom in bed. This - I believe - was the troubling scene during which Tom urged Lady Sybil to not "disappoint him". That gave us all cause for concern, I think. Thankfully it was a one off, and very much the old Tom. As for the new Tom... Sybil would be so proud of him, I think. I can picture her face lighting up as he caught that cricket ball. I can picture her bursting with pride as he set out the situation to her father at breakfast.

25) Anna running across the grounds. Dressed in black. I guessed funeral. I was right. Well... mourning. :( Still, the moment was a happy one. Anna is dashing to tell Lady Mary and Lady Edith that Mr. Bates is likely to be freed. :D Note, the words "perfect day" are sung as Anna is on screen. :D :D

26) Lord Grantham and Carson staring in amazement as Lady Mary debuts her wedding dress. Stunning it is too. [face_love] Also, I LOVE what Robert is wearing.

27) Thomas crying about the death of Lady Sybil. This scene is more notable for Anna's behaviour, comforting a man who has caused so much trouble simply because he is upset. Oh, Anna. [face_love]

28) Ethel shortly before she gives up her child to the Bryants.

29) Back to the scene where Lord Grantham confesses to problems to Cora. "Thank God for you", he says. They are a strong couple (the reasons for which I hope the prequel will reveal), but this was a good prelude to the true test of their marriage. Lady Sybil's death threatened to drive a stake through Cora's affections, but thankfully the Dowager Countess entered proceedings at exactly the right time.

30) and 31) The days before Matthew and Mary wed. I think this is Mary storming out because Matthew wouldn't give Mr. Swire's money to Downton.

32) Martha and Lord Grantham reaching an understanding. If memory serves, this was after she organised the buffet lunch. :p

33) "I would never be happy with anyone else so long as you walk the Earth." The crucial moment of the frankly TREMENDOUS scene before their wedding day. The blind kiss, the understanding that they love each other above and beyond all else. The very best of love, in my opinion. They are meant. to. be. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

And that's it! The music that plays in the trailer was gorgeous then, and it is even more gorgeous now. After all, just look at that stunning last episode. The series builds to a perfect day. I'm glad I spent it with them. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

[​IMG]

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I have withdrawal symptoms. How do I know this? I'm currently watching an episode picked at random from series one. For the record, episode four.

EDIT: Lord Grantham's just mentioned the old chauffeur, Mr. Taylor, who has gone off to run a tea shop. He doesn't think it will make for a very restful retirement, and casually asks Carson for his opinion.

"I would rather be put to death, my lord."

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

EDIT EDIT: The Dowager Countess is having some difficulty with Matthew's swivel chair, but it's okay because she's "a good sailor". :p

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Tom's just sabotaged William's hopes of taking Daisy to the fair by asking her himself. Mr. Bates calls him a bastard. Thomas looks pleased with himself.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    OMG, here... the series one trailer.

:D [face_love] :D

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh, it's so brilliant, so gorgeous. [face_love]
    • Anna's ill, so Mr. Bates brings her dinner. [face_love]
    • The romantic tension between Matthew and Lady Mary. It's already obviously WANT each other, but Mary's still being so stubborn. She tells her father, "I'd never marry any man I was told to." Mary's feeling disconnected, lost, in the aftermath of Mr. Pamuk's death. I wish I could tell her it will be okay, that she will marry Matthew and it will be beautiful.
    • Daisy failing to understand when Mrs. Patmore tells her Thomas is "not a ladies man". :p Poor William.
    • Mrs. Hughes goes on a 'date'. So touching.
    • Lady Edith casually taking a dig at Sybil about her putting on weight.
    • Mr. Bates vs. Thomas (the early rounds).
    • The Dowager Countess beating Isobel in a game of 'Diagnose Moseley'. :D
    • Gwen's job application (and Lady Sybil's reference!) - but her interview is cancelled at the last moment.
    • Tom tries to talk to Lady Sybil about politics, and shoves some pamphlets at her. Tom says "I won't always be a chauffeur"... well quite.
    • Lord Grantham's line, "My fortune is the work of others, who laboured to build a great dynasty. Do I have the right to destroy that work, or impoverish that dynasty? I am a custodian my dear, not an owner. I must strive to be worthy of the task I have been set." [face_thinking]
    • We finish on Lady Sybil's new frock. :D
    An absolute joy.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You're spamming the thread, dear. :p

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I've never seen Everton to be this passionate about something, not even when it comes to Everton. :p