main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation CEO says no news until summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I bet if there is a teaser in 2013, it will be images from the previous six films with some white text on a black background in between with John William's music behind it all. Then at the end, it'll say Episode VII and the title.

2. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    yea I think there will be NO MAJOR news cause its just to soon anyway. I guess also it depends on what one means by MAJOR news.

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    They should put out an announcement teaser. Could be something really short and simple and I bet it'd still recieve applause.

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well at least we'll got some kinda news before then.

5. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Well then... I guess until then I'll replay a few old Star Wars games in my free time.:)

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I noticed myself already beginning to feel, with something so big ahead of us, as though my Star Wars fun is now on hold for the next 2 1/2 years. Thank goodness for TCW and the EU.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Surely we'll have a director/writer/producer and some cast annoucements before next summer?

Perhaps what he means is filming will take place next summer? If they are going to have this film out by 2015 then they have to get on with filming next summer, I'd think?

8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Bob Iger can say anything he wants, but, as I pointed out, he's not the one 'down in the trenches' and therefore I don't give much credence to what he has to say.

9. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This Disney CEO doesn't exactly exude the whimsey of Star Wars. I know it's business, and the whole deal is being done to get a nice return on investment, increase per share, etc etc, but that's all you really hear him talk about. Brand loyalty and other business jargon sorta sucks the fun out of things.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He said "major" news. I have no doubt we will no know a little more by then, though. We will certainly know the identity of the director, unless they're planning on filming this over a weekend.

11. Bzdek

Bzdek Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    As someone else mentioned, next August is Disney's big D23 event. I assume there will likely be some sort of panel and presentation at that time. That is likely what Iger is referring to. Doesn't mean we won't get leaked info before then. How often do you really need to wait for an official announcement to get info these days.

I assume that we will know the writer an director well in advance of the summer and likely a general direction for the plot as well.

12. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Prob get some casting or directing news by next summer but not much more than that. If they have folks signed up for sure by then they will have a hard time keeping it secret. Gonna have to get back into that Clone Wars cartoon for a fix I guess.:rolleyes:

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Disney has limitations on what it can announce per SEC Rules, since the partial stock deal is not completed.

Beaker416 and yodasbum like this.
  14. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    SW.com will make as much hay of this as possible regardless of what Disney wants. I'm sure there will be profiles, interviews etc. with KK and Lucasfilm employees like Pablo. And stuff will leak!!

But the time-frame is sound. Screenwriter, director, production schedule etc. are "major" announcements. It's too early to start the official hype machine. But I think Lucasfilm will definitely tease us with tidbits over the next 12 months.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This. Possibly the writer and director.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Somebody already made an awesome teaser:

JainaSoloYJK and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Surely Disney handles the marketing of the movie and so will decide when to announce information about the film, even if they don't make it.

18. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Not true:
    1. Wikipedia never counts as a reliable source.
    2. The official conference call transcript is available here, and I see no such statement by Iger.

19. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    As Bazinga'd mentioned I think getting all the SEC stuff cleared up is a hurdle, however, if I recall correctly the quote was no major news until next summer, and it depends on what you'd consider major news. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a writer and director be named before then, but we probably won't get much in the way of casting and some really basic premise on plot until then.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Probably no major news like actual plot, but I'm sure we'll get offical picks for director and writer with the next few months.

21. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    What I'm saying is that there IS no quote, because Wikipedia is not a source, and the ORIGINAL source (to which I posted a link) does not contain that quote. So unless somebody provides a source, we can assume that quote about no news until the summer is fabricated.

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Lol ha ha ha lol

23. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Fair point, and I honestly can't remember where I heard it first. I thought it was an episode of one of ForceCast's podcasts, but I could be mistaken.

24. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Ever worked in an office? Ever hear the CEO make pronouncements from on high? There's usually LOTS of little things that go into the building of an *official* statement, which can often be fairly uninspiring. By the time a director and locations and a few actors are named, there will already be scripts/treatments, concept art, what have you. No one at Disney or Lucasfilm is just sitting around waiting for next Summer.

25. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    SW.com promised weekly updates, actually.