main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jedi's Philosophy During The War

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by windu4, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    There seems to be some inconsistencies regarding the Jedi and their general purpose as well...Jedi during the PT. In TPM Qui-Gon repeatedly says that he can't wage a war on Padme's behalf. Mace Windu then goes onto say that they're "keepers of the peace not soldiers". So why would the Jedi thin themselves out and fight a war when there are literally billions of clones who can do it for them? The Jedi weren't really needed as generals. The clones had generals. Instead of keeping the peace they did the very thing that they said they wouldn't.

Would it have been more efficient for the Jedi to (as they repeatedly say they will) disassociate themselves from the Republic? What if they just served as ambassadors and peace keepers who provided aid for planets ravaged by war and sought to find a peaceful solution? That seemed to fit Yoda and Mace Windu's philosophy even more. Especially since they really didn't know about a Sith Order when the war started.

The only move that really made sense was when they rescued Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme and even that came of as an exaggerated waste of resources.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Jedi are pacifists.

3. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Well...if they're pacifists why would they actively participate in a war when an option for peace is available?

Also you really don't have to quote my post if you posted right after me.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I meant in general they were opposed to the Republic going to an unjust war, but they decided to serve the government rather than their wishes.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In TPM they were dispatched at the Chancellor's behest to settle the dispute (not take sides). In the novel, this was without the Senate's approval.

By the war, the REPUBLIC asked them to lead the war - not settle a dispute between member worlds, but against former members.

6. windu4

May 15, 2008
    That's my point though. Why would the Jedi lead the war if they established themselves as pacifists? If they were ambassadors in TPM seeking to solve a crisis peacefully why not do so again? It just seems counter-productive to their ideals and a waste of the best and brightest of their Order. I don't think the Republic could command them to do anything. They're a separate organization held in high regard by the Republic. They're not a part of the Republic.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    They contradict each other, the film and the novel. I don't get that.

The novel's explanation makes more sense.

8. windu4

May 15, 2008
    The novel isn't wholly canon. The movie is. Also in the movie they were clearly flying on a Republic vessel with Republic officers who introduced themselves as such so it's pretty clear that they were sent by the Old Republic.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    The primary duty of the Jedi is to protect the Republic (so, no, the old order would not dream of disassociating themselves from the Republic). The war was how they saw they could do it.

10. windu4

May 15, 2008
    Fair enough. That does make sense. I just thought they'd have a broader vision than that. The Republic at that time was seen as largely corrupt and useless due to political clutter. Then again Mace Windu made it clear that he had an attachment to the Republic which represented stability and peace to him which kind of renders my original argument pointless lol

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It is true that the Republic was in decline, but as the mission of the Jedi is to help the Republic, they would obviously stay with it no matter what and do what they could - and they believed the Clone Wars was the way to do this.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What was the Republic's goal by defeating the Separatists?

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    What was the Union's goal by defeating the Confederacy?

14. windu4

May 15, 2008
    I feel like those are two simple questions with obvious answer- oh wait. I see now.

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, a lot of Americans think the US in a state of decline and corruption...but that doesn't mean we run and abandon ship. We try to reform it or to keep the "extreme" reformers from reforming it.

[face_flag] Election day!

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I assume you'll be writing in Kenobi?

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  17. The Reformer

The Reformer Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    There are different types of jedi with this the order might be split down the middle on what to do about the war. With this being said the different types are jedi guardian, jedi consular, and jedi sentinel. The jedi guardians were more okay with fighting for they practiced fighting more often then other jedi. The jedi consular was more of a thinking type of jedi that focused more on using the force to solve problems. Then the jedi sentinel was a mixture of both of those jedi. Where they would be doing police work for the order. So with the different types of jedi the order might have been torn down the middle and simply choose to go to war.

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Even so, all these categories had a duty to the Republic. The Jedi as a whole saw the Clone Wars as needed. I'm sure that those against the war would not be forced to become generals.

19. The Reformer

The Reformer Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    I'm sure the ones that wanted to fight and saw that going to war was the best choice was the ones that were generals in the war. Jedis that was not on the council were generals too. That position was not only offered to members of the council.

20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah, I meant that if some healer JEdi didn't feel like becoming a general, nobody would make them do it.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So African-Americans would be treated more fairly and not be slaves forever. The Confederacy treated black people unfairly in the 1800s. It was for equality that the Union went to War with the Confederacy. I don't see how that relates to Star Wars or the Clone Wars though.....

Did you Notice that the Seperatists were called the Confederacy too? More political alleogries in Star Wars SW. Kinda like the name similarities between Nute Gunray and Newt Gingrich........

[​IMG]

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's is your point? What are you trying to say?

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I have no point if no point is understood. I don't feel like writing a political treatise.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok. But what does that have to do with Star Wars?

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Political bodies generally don't respond well when parts decide to leave.
    And we are not going to write elaborate political explanations for you anymore if you refuse to understand them.

Valairy Scot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.