main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Reactions] U.S. Presidential Election Day 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2012.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Woops.

What's up with Jim Cramer's prediction? At least with the wildly inaccurate Romney landslide predictions, you can at least understand the wishful thinking influencing their thought. What in the hell made Cramer think Obama would get 440 Electoral Votes?

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Are you sure about this Puerto Rico statehood thing? I did a brief Google search and all I came up with was some inconclusive referendum about how they might "change their relationship" with the U.S. or something. If we really were about to gain a 51st state it would be in the headlines, right under the news of Obama getting re-elected...heck maybe even trumping that.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Seems pretty serious to me.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't seen a single political ad ad all evening, granted I alternated between watching SMACKDOWN and YouTube vids (which have seemingly stopped the ads) until I knew the results for sure.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It looks like Congress will have to approve PR as a state first, but I don't see why they wouldn't, both have it in their party platforms.

Also, the Youth Vote INCREASED from 2008, to make up 11% of entire electorate. Minorities increased too.

Jedi Merkurian and MrZAP like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    The way it works is congress has to pass an Enabling Act, which allows Puerto Rico to call a constitutional convention. Once the constitution has been ratified by the people of Puerto Rico they're in, according to precedent.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it needs approval by Congress, and I have no idea how binding a referendum on the matter is. In addition it's far less decisive than that link made it seem - only about 53% of Puerto Ricans voted "change relationship," and I think it's then 65% of those wanted statehood.

9. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    No on Recall, Yes on Bustamante!

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's part of the problem for sure.

On a different note:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/mcgovern-coalition-now-the-majority/

Just as with Barry Goldwater's loss turning into Ronald Reagan's victory, George McGovern's loss has now become Barack Obama's victory and coalition.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    If you look at the numbers those who favor statehood are still in the majority compared to those who voted "yes" on the first question.

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    There were two separate votes at two separate times. Earlier in the year, 53% of the electorate to decided to change the relationship. Today 65% of the total electorate preferred statehood.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow, 9 pages to 29. I see many of the % were close(Florida being 50 to 49, Ohio separated by just a couple of %) but damn that 303 to 206 looks great. [​IMG]

14. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    This Puerto Rico thing is quite interesting. Thank heavens something redeemed this night, the biggest yawn of an election of my 25 year lifetime thus far(yeah, Dole/Clinton was surely worse, but I mean elections that I was able to comprehend :p EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was an infant during Reagan/Mondale, too. )

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, I see. The SF Chronicle article was... less than clear. So hey, new state. Neat. :p

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Really, really, really early but possible 51-star flag:

[​IMG]

Summer Dreamer and Juliet316 like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Does this mean Nate SIlver has figured out the psychohistory equations?

Quixotic-Sith likes this.
  18. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    I like the concept, but it evokes the "peace sign" too strongly. I vote nay.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I saw a star of stars, but whatever. 'Murica. :p

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, Wikipedia has a version that's basically the current flag except arranged to accomodate 51 - I'd argue that's better, since the rows look is rapidly becoming "classic."

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    DC is sure gonna be pissed if PR gets statehood before they do.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus, if I know my King Reagan Bible, I'm pretty sure that this: [face_flag] was based on Jesus' own clothing, in the same way Superman's S is a Kryptonian family shield.

Only less Jewish.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    People criticized the President for working on health care reform so quickly, but there's a flip side to it now: His re-election campaign was done with the knowledge of HCR's passing and final constitutional approval by the Supreme Court. Voters were able to consider it as part of their vote. If it had come in the second term, that wouldn't have been the case.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i hope ur dad's okay

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    and poor canada! how do you think they must feel... :(