main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Continuity Snarl Celebration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm serious, if TCW wasn't radically altering the Clone Wars, Luceno would probably be writing a Darth Tyranus novel right now.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Maybe the Alderaan Ascendancy Crisis was a very vigorous voting campaign and run off election?

It's also possible that there could be borough or States on Alderaan doing the voting and widespread contested voter fraud or ties in terms of states.

House Thul is stuffing ballot boxes.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You know.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Count.

He's the Count von Count of Dooku.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    No doubt a good friend of Kuat of Kuat from Kuat of Kuat Drive Yards, Heir to the House of Kuat from Kuat. ;)

Tinwe, Todd the Jedi and Zorrixor like this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd like to give a cracked theory about what happened to the red Sith species.

Zeltrons are Sith.

:D

7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh just because their Red they have to be related? That's Speciesist

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They're also a hedonistic culture and are attracted to Force Users!

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Didn't Luceno actually say that he's not considering a Tyranus novel specifically because he doesn't want to risk contradicting anything TCW may do? Makes sense, but damn, that doesn't help my opinion of TCW's continuation.

Esg, Zorrixor and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    eh, it's not exactly a killing offense not to write a novel in a place where regular material is being produced.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Sure, but my opinion of TCW's writing is fairly neutral, where I really enjoy Luceno's writing, so it's pretty obvious which one I'd prefer. Plus, I do genuinely feel that TCW should end fairly early, in order to be as concise as possible (at this point, I think it should work towards resolving all the current plotlines and end it, which should take two or three more seasons, rather than add more plotlines), with or without Tyranus being a factor.

Still, the hypothetical Tyranus novel would be before TCW, the danger is just TCW revealing any details of his past or any of the situations before the Clone Wars. Frankly, I don't see them doing that, but you ever know.

Esg and Charlemagne19 like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think of The Clone Wars as something of a animated comic book series like Marvel. It's a mixture of silly, serious, mythical, and realistic stuff.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    A good point there, Charlemagne. That would also explain why Yoda always calls him Dooku, even when he's a youngling. In the Jedi Apprentice series Yoda always calls the younglings and apprentices by their first name (and in many cases the knights and masters too), which is why it would seem kind of harsh for him to call Dooku by his last name. Or maybe something changed in those 50+ years between Dooku's apprentice days and the JA series... [face_thinking]

My favorite first name suggestion for Dooku so far is by max-attac in the "Agent of the Empire: Hard Targets 1" thread: Su. ;)

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    More things that don't make any sense yet make me smile: the canonization of typos.

Threkin Horm and Hrekin Thorm.
    Atrivis Sector and Atravis Sector.
    Mrlsst and Mrisst.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    On the plus side, if Luceno waits until TCW is finished, then he can go back in after Filoni had gone and work his magic.

I genuinely am salivating over the idea of a Plagueis-class novel that referenced everything in a way that made sense.

instantdeath likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    References everything. Both Evan Piell deaths. The unfortunate circumstances surrounding the many deaths of the Adi Gallia's. A plausible explanation on how Ryloth can both rotate and not rotate. A detailed analysis on why Grievous is exceedingly frightening at times, and at others seems to thrive on making an ass of himself. Evan an explanation on why Dooku does not wear his cape for a large period of the war, when it obviously fits him like a glove.

We need a novel that won't flinch from the facts :cool:

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh Lucenco would love that, I've talked to him during Podcasts. He lives for that sort of thing.

* He'd have Dooku fight Master K'Kruhk and then have the later escape. "Jedi had become adept faking their deaths during the war as a means of fooling the many moles Dooku had inserted into their organization. Evan Piell, Adi Gallia, Eeth Koth and others had all taken advantage of it."

* "What do you call this world?"
    "Ryloth."
    "Oh?"
    "Yes, it means Home in Twilek so we have named our world that despite it not being the homeworld."
    "That must be confusing."
    "Only to humans."

* "Grevious had become an unpredictable element during the war. Dooku's modification of the warrior's mind to make him more ruthless had started to wear at the warrior's sanity. Where once he had been a fierce and proud leader, he had developed sneaky and even cowardly traits. There were times he'd even become delusional, speaking of his admiration of the Jedi and how he'd voluntarily become a cyborg."

This is actually canon, I think.

* "Dooku put on his cape, one he'd stopped wearing for a time due to Anakin Skywalker nearly killing him with it during their last duel."

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh, I actually like to think the reverse on Grievous. The first time he appears, he nearly overwhelms the group of Jedi both because they are tired, and his fighting style is so incredibly unpredictable. He can so easily bowl over both Ventress and Durge partly due to his unique fighting style, and partly because of Ventress' own inexperience at that point. Cue his bumbling buffoonery in TCW. He then has a sports training montage with Dooku (shown in both Labyrinth of Evil and part two of the Tarakovski cartoon), and by LOE, he's enough of a threat to even slow Mace Windu (after all, the biggest problem I have with Grievous' threat reduction is that it really takes away from Obi-Wan's achievement in killing him. I remember absolutely loving that scene in ROTS after watching the Taratovski cartoon; "damn, Obi-Wan beat a guy that took down three Council members".) But, of course, making Obi-Wan look good is no longer fashionable :p

Yes, TCW just made Grievous into a cheesy sports film star :p

As for the cape, I honestly always just mentally paste the thing over him in every TCW shot.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's the small matter as well that Grevious is always losing against Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, which sort of throws the matter into question. Obi Wan is the greatest Form III master in the world and Anakin is the Chosen One. I also liked Dooku's training montage, which states that Grevious wins because he picks the battlefield and intimidates his opponents.

As the Man Without Fear (who isn't Daredevil), Anakin is immune to that. Obi Wan is also an issue because, well, he's every bit as fearless as Anakin.

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke removed his cape in the Rancor pit (RotJ) - perhaps Dooku/Tyranus is expecting to have to fight most of the time?

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    But yes, I think Grevious is supposed to be an extraordinarily awesome warrior but he's about Boba Fett/Jango Fett level (maybe slightly above) as opposed to something which is THAT much above our heroes. He's able to fight High Council members on an equal footing but he's not able to dominate people at that level. Most Jedi, by comparison, are lunchmeat before him.

Anakin, Mace, Yoda, and Obi Wan are capable of flat-out killing him.

Ventress, ORIGINALLY, was nothing more than a half-trained Jedi Padawan. Dooku eventually took her on as his unofficial Sith apprentice and she became almost as powerful as Anakin.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Wait... correct me if I'm wrong, but TCW hasn't had Anakin fight Grievous, has he? I seem to remember them saying they wouldn't do that due to a line in ROTS, Anakin's "I thought you would be taller".

Of course, they came close, when they were swapped as hostages.

Agreed, but I'm personally of the opinion that Jango/Boba level, able to fight High Council members on equal footing is more competent than he's often shown as. Which is why right now I'm okay with the montage idea. It also makes Grievous' remark to Obi that he was "trained by Count Dooku" make some sense, with TCW thrown into the mix.

Nah, the cape is part of Dooku. It does not impede him, it aids him :)

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Anakin mostly owns Grevious in terms of strategy, which makes sense because Anakin is a burgeoning Darth Vader.

:)

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm not "offended" by the change in Grievous's characterization. Pre-ROTS sources grabbed what essentially was a character design and little else, and fleshed him out in what they thought was a cool way. As soon as the movie came out, it became obvious that Grievous was the Snidely Whiplash of the Confederacy, so the EU changed course. Nowadays, Badass Grievous is the exception, not the norm, and the exceptions are isolated enough for me to explain them as "he was having a badass day".

Now, the coughing is a whole different matter... :p

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Grevious is still supposed to be badass, after all we see it in his fight with Obi Wan. He's also supposed to be a man who constantly retreats when things go bad. Which, contrary to the cowardice accusation, is what Duke Wellington did.

instantdeath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.