main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ewan mentioned, while filming The Island, I think, something about working with people and sets and how difficult it is to work against green sets.
    It was reported as he disliked working on the prequels.

Gah. I'm sure it WAS difficult working against a green set rather than against fellow actors. It may not have been the best working situation. It does not mean he disliked working on the prequels (which tends to imply something against the script, or GL, or his fellow actors...); it just was difficult.

Dark Obi? Play on his guilt? Take the Force away from him? Weaken him while simultaneously showing him how he can't do anything to anything to help others and force his grief/guilt into anger?

laloga likes this.
  2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah ok. I guess that makes more sense that it was the green screen. They did use a lot of it.

If he said something like that, then the media always tends to twist what actors say, so its a shame if they did twist his words to make it sound like he didn't like the prequels.

Thanks for the suggestions, that gives me some ideas to try out and consider.

3. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I could see that, yes. He's so driven to help others, so selfless, that I think showing him that no matter what he does, no matter how hard he tries, everything would be futile. Taking the Force away from him would aggrandize the feeling, because it would make him lose his balance, in a sense. I know there are Force-dampening collars and cuffs out there in the GFFA...maybe something like that?

(Oh, goodness. Where's serendipityaey? We're talking about putting Obi in cuffs...)

serendipityaey and obimom like this.
  4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
  5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Gah - I was just in a thread where Hayden was called "godlike, Adonis, handsome" - I just about gagged on two levels - one, that Padme fell in love with him because of his looks is just so shallow, and two, that Hayden's external looks are so - so - peak of the pinnacle.

We all KNOW Ewan is gorgeous, but I'd never reduce him to his exterior package nor would I call him "godlike" based on his looks alone. He could look like Danny DiVito and I'd still love his portrayal of Obi-Wan (sorry, Danny).

~~
    Subject change: my new cat is pretty much a quiet love bug; her personality is quite a bit lower down the scale (so far) than my preference, but her snuggling is tops! No complaints here - and she's enough different from Sam to be her own self - she helps ease the hole he left without being "a replacement" for him. Sam, like my Daffy long before him, can never be replaced.

I think her name will be Kahlua or Mocha - weigh in (and/or with suggestions).

[​IMG]

6. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    She's lovely! Are those little tufts of hair on her ears? So cute. :)

Kahlua is a cute name..."Lu" for short, maybe?

serendipityaey likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yup, tufts. She is so tiny compared to Sam, who was big without being BIG (longer fur, fluffy tail, neck ruff, HUGE paws and in his prime, close to double the new cat's weight).

She's slept almost all day, with two very short play sessions. I think she's shaping up to be a cat lump - but a purring lump who will be a lump in your lap. Still, she was just spayed two or so days ago, and was in a strange shelter, so she might just be recovering from all the changes in her life.

What I find most - almost jarring - is how soft her mews and rumble/growls (not aggressive growls, more curiosity) are. Luckily, her purrs are quite loud.

laloga and serendipityaey like this.
  8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Ewan is gorgeous! What were we talking about again?

Just kidding, I honestly think it's the man inside that even makes me think he's gorgeous, having nothing to do with this looks in that way, one affects the perception of the other, you know? He's just such a good man. I have to say Anakin kind of has that typical demi-god look, like kinda what I would picture as a stereo type for who might play a mythical demi-god in a movie. Maybe they meant that :p I totally agree with you though.

On Ewan and not liking parts of Star Wars, personally I get the feeling that he's just plain honest in a way that not many hollywood people are. There are good and bad parts to fame, movie making, big budget movies, etc and he's never been fake about admitting it wasn't all rainbows. I've seen him in person be really excited about Star Wars stuff and put off by it in the same day. It's all part of the deal. When I saw him in Seattle, and they showed Star Wars clips he was all kinds of excited and very into watching it and being excited by seeing that stuff. Earlier though on the little, mini red carpet that was set up - I was right by the door and I was the last person he talked to but there was a guy behind me, just an average guy with one of those Obi-Wan pictures that you see everywhere and you just know it's some stock photo and he wants to get it signed to sell. He pushed me a few times which was really annoying and rude, but I ignored it, Ewan said hi to me, signed the program, looked up and saw that guy and said 'No more Star Wars stuff today.' He said it with a polite smile, but you know, that guy was annoying, and it was obvious. So there's good and bad. Ewan seemed very excited to hear the news on twitter and he has no reason to fake that, he could just not say anything if he wasn't a fan.

Val, that kitty is adorable!! I love her! Personally I really like the name Kahlua :D

laloga and obimom like this.
  9. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, Val, she's a beauty and I think Kahlua - don't kitties go well with cream, too?
    As for the insoluble fan stand-off about who is better-looking, I suggest we judge by which feller looks better in binders.
    ...Yup, there you go. It's a shoo-in.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Gotta love :)rolleyes:) this quote from elsewhere:

11. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL!

They can have him for all I care, I prefer a bearded manly man over pretty-boys like Hayden Christensen and Orlando Bloom any time.

serendipityaey and laloga like this.
  12. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Mmmm...Orlando Bloom. @};- For me, it's about confidence and personality, in addition to looks. Ewan has all of those in spades, (as does Orlando, but that's a whole 'nother fandom!). Hayden, while an attractive guy, doesn't have that je ne sais quois, that *spark* that Ewan has. [face_love]

obimom likes this.
  13. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Agreed 100% [face_love]

And, excuse me, did that person not watch Ewan in AOTC? I mean, talk about Gorgeous, beautiful. Yes, in ROTS they made Ewan look a little older and the beard added to that, but in AOTC, even with the beard, those gorgeous blue eyes, that hair, his overall look outshines Anakin in ROTS by a galaxy...there is no comparison. And in ROTS, Ewan is still gorgeous, even though a little more downplayed.

Anakin has some good looks, I'll give him that, but better than Ewan??? Not by a long, long mile.

laloga likes this.
  14. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow, I just peeked in here as a way to procrastinate while I'm supposed to be working, and this is WAY more fun than the history of Federalism.
    There's no doubt that Anakin is the prettiest boy in the GFFA. He has (sic) "delicate features" and "no facial hair" and "long soft brown hair."
    Oh my GOSH!!!
    I have to go check the mirror... I think I might /be/ Anakin Skywalker.....!!!! Hold on ladies, this is a major crisis here....

FARK2005, laloga and obimom like this.
  15. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Whew - no, it's fine. My lips are not anywhere near as full and lovely, nor can I make my hair do that just-so curling thing, no matter how I try. Crisis resolved. I just got spooked by the description.
    However, upon reflection, I think the Greek god reference has some merit. Anakin might be Adonis-like, but even more aptly he would fit the bill for Cupid (making Padme a archetypal Psyche). Here they are after their secret marriage:
    [​IMG]

Versus the "bearded manly man" type, like the king of the gods. Here he is, practicing Soresu saber drills in the dojo:
    [​IMG]
    Lightning bolts are kind of like lightsabers, really. And here are master and Padawan (read: cupbearer ganymede, also a renonwned beauty):
    [​IMG]
    Note that Ganymede also traditionally has delicate features, smooth hairless chin and soft curling tresses:
    [​IMG]
    I definitely think there's a great deal to be said for that line of comparison. Obi-Wan can't possibly compare to the, um, beauty of his Padawan.

FARK2005, obimom and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    How come "Obi-Wan" is in long flowing robes while "Anakin" is "almost indecent!" [face_phbbbbt]

Anakin is not especially pretty; no, he's not bad-looking, but not good-looking, however, the feminine version (Ruth) does sound so. But Ewan - oh, those eyes, that smile, that personality....and not a bad bod, either.

obimom likes this.
  17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  18. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    AAaAAAAAAAAGH!!!
    Not the kilt picture again! This is a serious scholarly thread... how can anyone have a conversation with that much distraction strutting around ?? Look, even Anakin is staring dreamily at him. Sheeesh.

obimom and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
  20. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    See above, and believe me there are some raw art history slides out there, but I thought we should keep this discussion sober and academic and all. So zeus is clothed. Nobody is going to get flustered about the other guy on this thread.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    ruth baulding in this sober and academic thread, are we allowed to talk about other Greek gods?

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I have to admit, HAYDEN in that picture is pretty, all right (but it takes more than 1 picture alone), prettier than Anakin.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Hayden got a really bad sunburn for the Star Wars movies because George Lucas thought that people from desert planets should be tanned.

24. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Keep calm and carry on, say I. Everybody keep yer kilts on and you can talk about whatever you want... though Val did specify Obi Wan appreciation, so that's open to interpretation....

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So you're saying that in this Obi-Wan appreciation thread, you want Ewan to keep his kilt on.

ruth baulding likes this.