main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Filling in the gaps: The Sequel Trilogy, a cartoon series, and the new EU canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 6, 2012.

1. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    There were talks of editing the Coruscant Nights series to improve continuity with TCW.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Before they do that, they'll first need to edit TCW to improve continuity with TCW.

instantdeath and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Those could actually use some editing just to improve continuity amongst themselve. :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Like that's not going to happen for sure. Clone Wars: Season 1: Special Edition. You heard it here first!

instantdeath and Zorrixor like this.
  5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Lorz Geptun, obviously.
    Though you could of course say Luke Skywalker Forced him.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I take it you've never heard of George Lucas.

RC-1991 likes this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    nope, who is he? as far as I know, Walt Disney created Star Wars :p

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Is the creator a man or a mouse? That is the question.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Another thought about "filling in the gaps". Given the popularity of Halo's Forward unto Dawn web series, how would you all feel about a webseries set post-Endor? I am thinking in the model of the upcoming BSG: Blood and Chrome series. Follow a group of young Rebel pilots during the post-Endor liberation of the galaxy. You could do this and avoid any direct appearances of the Big Three. I for one would watch the crap out of a Rebel fighters lot miniseries online. Fun action, great opportunities to expand on the post-Endor era, etc.

The model is there and it appears to work...

--Adm. Nick

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Editing? In the Coruscant Nights series?

Well, there's a first time for everything...

Zorrixor, JackG and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Like the timeline thingo before TOR and the mini clips before the Ponds' last Doctor Who episode? Yes, I think that'd be good. As long as it's fleshed out after or between the films in full book/comic form, though.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I would definitely go for that, although as far as continuity goes it would only be a matter of time before they'd want to use the Big Three or to start strip-mining X-wing/TTT etc and then we're back to square one.

13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Stacking the assumptions here. Let's see we're going with if the ST is set somewhere in the 25-50 ABY range - thereby inherently oblierating the NJO and post-NJO EU materials, would it be a good idea to go back and edit over the New Repbulic Era EU with a new CGI cartoon series?

Oh, and we're apparently doing this before Episode VII is released. Ah, well that can't happen then, there's simply not enough time.

Now a hypothetical CGI series after Episode IX finishes, perhaps alongside continuing movies, that could work, depending on where those movies go. It does seem like Disney's interest in continuing movies on a regular basis, and not just a final sequel trilogy, would preclude relaunching a whole new post-sequel EU continuity in any way. So that would leave the earlier time period.

That being said, if the ST is set 25 ABY or post; then, I firmly believe the New Republic Era EU should be preserved more or less intact. That is by far the most popular EU era, the one with the most integration elsewhere (how many other products are Chiss in besides the Thrawn trilogy? It's a lot), and by far the best known (Kyle Katarn!).

That era could certainly be expanded, it's not as if there's not room. Warfare invented whole new galaxy-spanning campaigns that had previously gone unmentioned. So long as Big Three + Wedge appearances are limited there's plenty of room for others to show up, and this could bring things better into alignment with whatever the movies intend to present.

Of course it's all so hard to so. The ST remains almost impossibly nebulous at this point. Unless Mortis is playing a big role we really have no idea what's going on. The EU took the Empire and rode them until they completely ran out of gas (and then some). That was 19 ABY. Assuming we're going beyond that, and narratively you kinda have to because the New Republic Era is the story of a galaxy-spanning mop-up operation and that's just not epic enough, something new has to fly out of the galactic abyss and threaten all that is good once again. The EU created the Yuuzhan Vong for that purpose. The ST is going to have to do something equally dramatic to that shift. Predictions are basically impossible with so little context.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, the idea behind a cartoon series is that it would both allow them to use the Big Three in their prime and cherry pick stories from the current EU and adapt them. I think this stands our best chance of having beloved portions of the EU survive.

--Adm. Nick

kataja and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    As much as I'd grumble about the inevitable TCW-style continuity hiccups, I must admit I'd still love to see something like that. It's not like the ROTS novel is the same as the film, or the many versions of TFU the same story, so whatever 'changes' they made wouldn't inherently bother me -- albeit I'd rather they throw out the linear "T-Canon trumps C-Canon" mantra and just leave it like they do things like TFU: treat it all at the same level, then it's up to the individual what they'd rather think.

With TFU, there are some bits of the book I prefer, some the Wii version, others the main version...

In the hope the original cast do make cameos, it even makes something like this more plausible, as Hamill, Fisher and Ford aren't exactly going to be playing the Big 3 six months after ROTJ, so at the very least it sets it a good 30 years afterwards unless there's some heavy use of make-up going on.

"Er, Luke... you went a bit heavy on the Ewok burgers at the post-Endor party..."

TychoCorde likes this.
  16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Rogue/Wraith Squadron?

17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    On the timing of the ST (if this is going to be a 'passing the torch' exercise), at what age would Luke be thinking of taking a real backseat or retiring?

18. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Sorry for the confusion; I was referring more specifically to the live-action webisode idea, where Big Three usage would mean we're right back into the recasting debate. Whereas animated programming could use new voice actors and is more cost-effective than backing up dumptrucks of money into Ford/Fisher/Hammill's yards every week. ;)

But as to the risk of TCW-style strip-mining, the odds are probably equal for either format.

19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    With some of the things they can do these days, it wouldn't surprise me if voice actors (like puppet-Yoda) were a thing of the past - either digitise the voices completely or cut and paste words off existing soundtracks to form the new dialogue.

20. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, that's been done with dead actors (John Wayne in a commercial, the guy from The Crow IIRC, etc.) but I imagine there'd be a whole host of legal issues if it involved a still-living actor.

I mean, Lucasfilm owns Harrison Ford's likeness as far as what he filmed for Star Wars (that's why they can't use current photos for cover art) but would they still be able to "create" new Harrison Ford footage without compensating him?

21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    One for someone with far more legal knowledge than me - but if it was income without need to work for it, maybe they could come to an arrangement?

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    the main idea behind a Sequel Trilogy revolves around an aged Luke Skywalker in a period 2-3 decades after the Rebel victory at Endor. Based on this assumption, we would be placed into a "new era", where the Jedi are re-established and the Rebellion proclaimed a new Republic.

so will they use Mark Hamil? He would have to get in shape and get major makeup. Otherwise you use all new actors, or go animation.

23. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    A streamlining would be unavoidable if the stories were to move to another media - and indeed, I don't think many would mind that, at least not in principle. On the contrary, most of us hope we could get rid of some of the mess. But we probably couldn't agree on what should be cleaned up and what mustn't be touched. :p I, f.ex., am passionately against touching Mara's role as the love of Luke's life!!! [face_not_talking]

24. SITH1708

SITH1708 Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    Now that the Vault is open, would it not be possible to have multiple series running at the same time?

For instance, they will have 7-8-9 going forward the next few years. 2015-2020 or so. Can they not also have another director/writer/crew doing a trilogy on Darth Bane, following the Jedi/Sith wars?

At the same time as all that, they can do the TV series with other characters, maybe even follow Karrde and Mara, weave Boba Fett in and out, other characters outside of the big 3 plus Lando.

Then come 2022 or somewhere in that area, we've done what was needed with Hamill, Fisher, Ford, etc, and they move on to Fate of the Jedi and follow the stories of Jacen and Jaina, Dalla and her very heavy questions about the legality of the Jedi (which really needs to be on screen somehow someway in the future) and maybe Abeloth + the Sith planet teaming up with Luke and Ben. At this point, I would think it would be safe to recast Luke and the rest, as it'll be almost 50 years from where it all began, and start to move forward without the original cast.

In theory, we could have a new Star Wars film every year all from different era's, not unlike how X-Men has spin offs running at the same time as main casts and there is no question just as much source material to use from the Star Wars vault as anything X-Men has.

I don't know if I'll get my wish, but I hope at least some of the EU stuff makes it onto the big screen with it's own adaptions. I don't want to see them combine Bane and Thrawn or anything silly like that.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I mentioned this in the main Disney thread... why does he need to get in shape? Despite being two decades older and having put on weight, Ian McDiarmid played a younger Palpatine in the prequels, so what stops Mark Hamill doing the same? It's not like he needs to be doing backflips when he's playing the serene mature Grand Master of the Jedi Order.

I still haven't got over how lame I found Yoda suddenly turning into Ninja Frog. Alec Guinness wasn't exactly fit to do rollypollies either, but a good script carries a character far, far more then the Cult of Youth that wants to dominate cinema today. If youth and athleticism was more important, Hayden Christensen would have been a good actor.