main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    wh says they have to be toast- they are just another level of canon if you ask me- like clone wars and original clone wars and what not. keep novel EU canon and film canon separated.

2. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats what people mean by toast

Many fans (to date) have ignored any comments of having two, sepereate Star wars universes (one for movies and tv, one for books and comics) and see everything as being part of 1, big saga/story line.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Again...all indications are that they will try to maintain as much continuity as possible anyway, so not sure why the continued discussion.

I doubt there is much of an issue between the films and EU with the films being completely original and having original characters. It's not like the movies go into a history lesson ever on what exactly happened since you last saw everyone...they just give a run down of the current situation...very minor idea on each new character and run with it.

4. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    What indications? Its been made clear in the past that Lucas won't be bound by the EU, they are working off his outlines..... what has anyone said in reference to taking the EU into account at all?

The contridictions will probably come in the state of the galaxy and the characters. Lucas said he never saw Luke getting married, if they are working off his notes and outlines, maybe in Episode VII Luke doesn't have any children because he never got married, for example.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The fact that Lucas Film has Pablo Hidalgo doing research for the films. He specializes in the continuity aspect so they don't have to throw out everything in the EU. If they were throwing out huge chunks, they wouldn't need him at all.

His doing research indicates every effort is going to be made to keep continuity as much as possible.

6. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Not necessarily; his involvement isn't a direct guarantee that the ST will in fact fit within existing continuity. There is absolutely no reason why the ST couldn't be structured to fit within the existing EU continuity, but there is also no reason why it couldn't override said continuity - or parts of it - thus making Pablo's involvement amount to nothing more than suggestions as to how to override said continuity without completely destroying it.

7. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    All we know is that KK is "sitting down with two writers" finding out "what the story can be". Sounds to me like they're sending requests for specific content to mine, like "Has this ever been done before?" or "Is there anything like this around?" And he comes back with information for them to select from and details about how things work, at this point, in the SWU, for them to make use of or discard. As a technical consultant usually does on films.

I cannot imagine that they're consulting him, or anyone else, for what they can or cannot do according to old spin-off material. Again, not to devalue it, I like heaps of it, but this is a new movie not an EU project. This is done on historical films and adaptations all the time, they keep an "expert" or knowledgeable person on hand to provide information. And look at Hollywood "historical" films, which always have consultants, most of them are pure fantasy. They just want to get the uniforms and manners as accurate as possible. Peter Jackson had a gaggle of Tolkien "experts" advising on the LotR's trilogy and he changed whatever he wanted to change. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that EU continuity is going to have anything to do with EVII. And whatever they do reference, as in the PT & TCW, will probably be adapted to suit their storytelling needs.

8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    His involvement means they are making an effort is all. Inevitably some stuff is always lost, but they try not to toast everything historically, looks like they're making an effort not to this time as well is my point.

9. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats not an idication of anything, unless you know what he is researching. Maybe he is just watching Clone War episodes and taking notes. ALso, this is what Paul posted

I introduced myself to her expanding story development team, and offered what insight I could given my long history with Star Wars and my deep knowledge of the saga. I’ve been fortunate to become known as one of the guys who knows Star Wars inside and out within the company. As George Lucas began preparing his treatments for future films, I’d get random requests for research from his office, and helped prepare documents, primers and writer guides for the next generation of Star Wars filmmakers, whoever they may be

You claming he is "doing research" so they much be worried about the EU and don't want to contridict any of it is a stretch (to say the least) given what Paul said he'll be doing. Lucas said he'd check out names and stuff before using them, doesn't mean he cared about not contridicting what a novel or comic already estabilished. They have said that Kennedy worked/is working with Lucas and his outlines and ideas for the movies, and we know Lucas doesn't really consider the EU and won't be bound by it.

LawJedi and The-Eternal-Hero like this.
  10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    No unless/until we know what his involvement is. He could just be who they call to find out if they can use a name for a character or what planet is close to another etc...

And Paul is a guy who is well versed in all of Star Wars material. He coul dbe looking at the first 6 movies and the CLone Wars for the writers, not the novels and comics.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Kinda embarrassed I forgot him!

Read the Lost Tribe novella and e-books. Your opinion will be revised, I guarantee!

We're kinda going around in circles otherwise, and the G, T, C, S canon debate may not even be relevant anymore, but who honestly wants portions of the EU toasted? And who gets to decide where it stops? The whole EU? Half the EU? Only the post-Endor EU?

Wouldn't it be nicer, and easier, if the films are set in 45 ABY and simply don't reference or unnecessarily damage the existing EU?

12. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Not because limits onw hat they acn and can't do would still be there. Want to have Luke thinking about never having children himself if its right for hte Jedi to follow that path? Too bad, can't do that. Want to tell a story about Leia's son? Nope, they both died off screen. etc...

It would be nicer and easier to just seperate the two.

13. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I have read the Lost Tribe ebooks, and loved all the stories. I just don't like the way they were portrayed in the FOTJ series.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or 50. Nice round number, helps account for actors that look older than they are. "it is a time of fragile peace..." would be a good start to the opening crawl.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    =D=^:)^=D=

I think that's the best possible scenario. Very respectful, and realistic. As a DC Comics fan, I just wish that the editors of DC had been as respectful when they wiped out their continuity in Sept 2011. DC is the perfect example of how a cherished continuity can be dissolved, sales improved, and fans begrudgingly moved on. Emphasis on begrudgingly. ;)

16. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I wasn't happy with DC either. And it's pretty much gone down hill the past 9 months. Hopefully they will come to their senses soon.

17. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    It all depends on whether or not what comes next is good or not. With DC its beena mixed bag. Remember a few years ago when they did that horrible (in execution, not that they did it) retcon on Spider-man and people wer eup in arms, never going to read spider-man again etc... But the comies that came after (Brand New Day) were great. So people forgot and forgave.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Just a few months ago fans were talking "reboot", now that it's not their idea, there's a backlash. C'mon, the post RotJ EU has hit bottom. A complete refresh would be great, especially if the new film universe is great. I for one would love having so many different takes on what happened "next": Marvel, Original EU, New EU. It's fun.

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Mixed bag or not (and yeah... I agree ;)) the New 52 DC has been a sales success. And we pissed off fans represent an impotent minority.

Of course the main difference is that DC didn't have a large, looming "One True Creator" who logically reserves the right to habitually wipe out continuity.

20. Battlehymn_Republic

Battlehymn_Republic Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Honestly, canon only is of use to me in terms of it provides a common framework and rules for the universe. If someone was to turn NJO and Legacy into an Infinities-type "Ultimate" universe that has its own inconsistency but is unrelated to the "new canon" of the Disney era, I don't really mind. In fact, Disney should even allow Dark Horse to have it so they can retain some sort of ownership over their Star Wars market, but Disney being Disney would be very unlikely to do that. Whoever heard of a massive franchise being under the control of multiple companies?

Tangent: What if Disney is going to buy Dark Horse as well?

21. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    A reboot of post-ROTJ continuity to fit the ST will be the likely outcome, but I wouldn't reboot the entire EU as a whole.

22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Been mulling this over.

Luke is 64 in 45 ABY - in a Galaxy where ordinary humans can reach over 100 without special treatments. With those treatments they can reach 125 to 150 Standard Years.

Force-users are likely to be able to live longer than ordinary humans (Palpatine was 86 at Endor, even after using the Dark-side since his teens, and wasn't that infirm). Luke (45 ABY) is, in fact, of a comperable age to Palpatine in RotS - and Palpatine still managed to slaughter three top Jedi Bladesmasters, two of them in virtually the blink of an eye!

So at what age would Luke even be thinking of retirement?

The next head of the Jedi Order (to my mind, it's inconceivable that Luke wouldn't have re-established it - if only to have a pool of Jedi available to manage smaller crises while Luke is occupied with the bigger ones) would have to be a mature, experienced and wise individual. Luke was thrust onto the stage at 19 only because of emergency conditions - among which was the fact that he was probably the only Jedi left alive. I'd say that anyone who replaced Luke would have to be in their mid 40s, at least.

There would have to be a period of Galactic calm before Luke could even start looking for apprentices; it's probable that Palpatine/Vader either corrupted or slaughtered potential Force-users born before 0 ABY.

My guess for Luke's retirement (barring unforseen circumstances - and those aren't really likely since Luke was a threat even to the Emperor) would be 50 to 55 ABY.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Because no films have yet touched them, the era leading up to Episode I is more orderly than that which comes after Episode III. And it's more exciting, imaginative, generally better written, and more visually original. I hope it never goes the way of all flesh, but it is far more possible to set whole series of films or tv shows in those eras without "violating continuity".

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    ToR is visually original?

25. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    That age thing is what we are talking about. THere is NOTHING in the movies or tv show to say that humans live longer then the average human on Earth. So to have Luke be that old would require it become a plot point, which is the kind of detail that would just bog down a movie. The best way to handle things is simply. You just place the movie 30 or 40 years after RotJ and Luke and co. look 30-40 years old. Thats all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.