main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Remove all mention of 'Episode VII' in promo material

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Nov 7, 2012.

1. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    One of the things that bothered me about the prequels is the over-doing of mentioning what episode the film was and giving less emphasis to the actual title of the movie.

In all promotional material for the prequels, they always emphasized the episode number vs the title of the chapter.

I think Disney should reverse that and go back to how Empire and Jedi were marketed - with their full episode names having more emphasis.

I understand the working title will obviously be SW EVII - but once the actual title of the episode is revealed and they should market it as such. And also have better, grander fonts that really bring out the fun and scale of the movie again - like the Empire logo.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The situation is different now. Star Wars was the title of the highest grossest movie at the time, with "A New Hope" added later. It was probably easier to market the movies under their own titles. Given the popularity of the original, the words "Empire" and "Jedi" would make it clear what it's all about. These days, Star Wars is a brand and it makes sense to market the movies as such. "A New Threat" (just as an example) doesn't cut it, "Star Wars: Episode VII: A New Threat" is better.

3. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    I understand your reasoning but the 'star wars' title was not totally lost on the Empire and Jedi logos. It was there - just less emphasized in comparison to the actual movie title.

4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Word. I like the old logos sans episode numbers. I'm guessing the 'spin-offs' will go that route.

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with this. When TESB and ROTJ came out, their release titles were "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" and "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi", and the only mention of "Episode V" and "Episode "VI" was in the opening crawl.
    I think Disney should abandon any ideas of including "Episode VII" in the advertising for the film, and when it is released, it should be titled "Star Wars: (Title)". Put "Episode VII" in the opening crawl; that is sufficient.
    "Star Wars: Episode VII: (Title)" is just too long, and kind of cheapens it by making it seem less special.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't know, I've grown fond of the episode thing as it reminds me of the episodic movies that inspired Lucas. But I'll be fine with Star Wars: Whatever.

7. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    The only reason they emphasised the episode number in the prequel marketing was so the average moviegoer wouldn't get confused and think it was a sequel to ROTJ. Now, that wouldn't be necessary, I would think.

Uncle Owen likes this.
  8. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    ^ Yes. Agreed.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

I personally don't really mind either way, some people will still call it Episode 7 and others will call it by it's name no matter how they emphasize it.

10. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    They might do it for 7-9, but gradually will move away...if you're doing a story about the republic 1000 years earlier, what would you call it? Episode .001? Or if you're doing something about bounty hunters that's not part if the "main arc". etc.

11. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The Dark Knight didn't need the word "Batman" in the title and I'm pretty sure it still made a whole bunch of money.

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    While I generally prefer the main logo not to include the Episode number, it seems like Disney is planning on releasing tangental stories as well, so I think it would be wise to include the episode number in the official title so that people know it's part of the main saga. HowEVER, the episode number doesn't have to HUGE like in the prequel logos. You could have Star Wars: Episode Whatever on top in small letters with the Subtitle in huge letters. That's what I would like to see

Darth Sone likes this.
  13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Also, let's not forget that some of the logos used for marketing for Revenge of the Sith did not include the episode number

14. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I'm not really bothered either way, but it would be nice to see the movie do well on the strength of its actual title.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The actual title of the film means little to me. I just want a good movie.

They could call it Episode 7.31/2:The Lint Strikes Back and I wouldn't care.

...well okay, maybe I would care.

16. wookieepotpie

wookieepotpie Jedi Master star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah, I agree with the OP. Hadn't really ever thought about it before, but I could definitely stand to lose the episode # in the logo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. wookieepotpie

wookieepotpie Jedi Master star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    mods, if those pictures are too big I apologize. Just delete them if it messes up the frame of this thread.

18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Any film in the franchise that moves the time line, needs to have the Episode part. The only ones not, would be if they branched off the main line to go into individual spinoff characters etc.

19. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I've noticed with the action figures, specifically the ones with the retro Kenner labels, they just have the title of each movie and not the episode number, prequels included. Maybe that is an indication that future marketing for the ST will emphasis the title name and not the episode number.

20. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Did anyone think of the poor guy/girl that has to put all of those letters up on the markee?
    There isn't a lot of space to put the lettering "Star Wars Ep VII" is good for me.
    Us diehard fans will know what it means.
    Peace, D

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  21. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Consigned, Shop Steward, Letter Putter Uppers Union Local 1138

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  22. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't think there needs to be the episode title in the main logo.

We will be hearing about "Star Wars Episode VII" from here on until the actual title is revealed.

So, its not like people won't know what film it is when it can still have 'Star Wars' in the main logo.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Until the title is released it shall be known as Episode VII

24. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    As already mentioned Revenge of the Sith was also promoted with this logo. A clear homage to Return of the Jedi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attack of the Clones had an Empire Strikes Back style logo that was used for some Starwars.com wallpaper that I never saw anywhere else.

[​IMG]

Although I love the uniformity of the prequel titles it would be fun to have some new or retro logo without the episode number in the title.

25. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Does it really matter?