main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What are your fears for the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My fears? Not enough Lucas involvement, no Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, and the possibility to cheapen Luke and Anakin's achievements in RotJ. I guess that's about it.

2. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    +1 Star Wars needs Sith vs Jedi IMO. I can't imagine a trilogy based on the main villain being a Jabba hutt or General Grievious type character. There good for side stories but not for the main villian. With the sick technolgy and funds Disney will have for these movies I can't imagine how awesome a sith vs jedi duel is capable of looking a feeling like. In 1999 Maul vs the Jedi was a sick duel even though there wasn't much emotion involved during the duel until Qui-Gon Jinn was killed. They need better backstories for the sith and more dialog during the fights like in empire.

3. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I actually feel pretty good about the prospects of these films. I think they are going to nail it. I hope we don't get inconsistencies, but I think it will be explainable if it is. I for one am extremely optimistic this time, and I wasn't for the first 4 or 5 days after the announcement.

4. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke having a family in any way is my fear. For the love of God I can't stand Ben Skywalker.

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Whar about just being married to Mara Jade, but no kid?

6. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    No Sith please.

7. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Fear 1 : Han, Luke, and Leia being in it. It would feel forced and not natural. They just don't look the parts anymore. it would honestly ruin the movies for me.
    Fear 2 : Another Phantom Menace with a Jar Jar character and the movie being more set to a younger audience. Disney did buy it after all.
    Fear 3 : No arms being severed, etc. Because Disney want's it less PG and more G Rated.
    Fear 4 : The fact that they only have about 3 years instead of 4 or 5 so they can have TIME to make great designs, etc. I fear this will be too rushed, and will feel so on the big screen, unless things have been happening in secret we didn't know about. Such as Lucas Arts and Lucasfilm people already designing specifically for these new movies and such.
    Fear 5 : The EU Post Trilogy stories being ignored and them starting from scratch with a whole new storyline ignoring all the books and comics. If that happens, it will be utterly ruined.

8. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I guess you don't want Star Wars then? Since Star Wars has Sith in it.

I want MORE sith. Why is it ok to have a bunch of Jedi but not Sith?

9. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Haha. Jake Lloyd-ing is now my favourite verb.

10. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Interesting point of view.
    I like the concept of using the Mandalorians as the "baddie" force. I'm not talking the pacified TCW Mandos, but the badass warriors from every fanboy's dreams. I was always of the opinion that the Mandos should have been the main baddies in the prequels, used and manipulated behind the scenes by Palpatine. But seeing as any hope of a rewrite for the prequels is out of the question, I wouldn't mind seeing the Mandalorians as a significant threat, either on their own, or as you say, "side-villains who work for the main antagonist". I personally think they are only 2-dimensional if they are written that way- they could be made to be very fascinating with the right script. Each warrior could bring their own set of skills, and each unit could have its own unique armory/ weapons. Besides that, remember how evenly matched Obi-wan's duel with Jango was? That was the only time the films showed a non-Force user holding their own against a Jedi (except for the droidekas, that is). I see lots of people wanting to see something other than Force users as the mani antagonists- well, the Mandos could be it. My two cents.

11. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I have read a crapton of EU and am ok with the Mara Jade/Ben stuff. But after watching ANH again last night, I really think Luke is an exploring type of person. Personal realtionships? Yes. Building a stable family? No.

What I am trying to say is...he is not a monk, but he can't stay still for too long when there is a whole galaxy to explore.

12. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I have always taken it literally. "A long time ago", to me, means a VERY long time ago, like perhaps even before humans evolved on Earth. "A galaxy far, far away", to me, means REALLY REALLY far, like perhaps on the other side of the Universe. The entire phrase "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" aligns the story with fairy tales, implying that it is now stuff of legend or myth. Perhaps it never happened at all. The bottom line is that is it another time and place, and is not meant to cross into our own reality on Earth. Bringing Earth into the story would absolutely ruin the whole fairy tale aspect of SW.

Alexrd likes this.
  13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A clone emperor and rebuilt Death Star.

14. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd be open to mando villians, if done well, but it would get corny fast otherwise if you ask me.

I fear a re-casting of the main characters

15. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I fear the pod racing will have been taken over by just "pods" what with health and safety and all that crap.

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Zahn novels getting retconned or overwritten... especially Mara Jade getting removed from the continuity.

17. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I prefer to look at the prequel trilogy as my "force cave on dagobah"....there's nothing left to fear.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I don't get all this mindset of people worrying about people being too old. Star Wars has been FULL of older people throught all the trilogies. OT: Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda and Vader (remember for years we thought Vader was MUCH older until the PT). PT: Palpatine, Dooku, Yoda. No one seemed to claim any problem with any of their ages back then. They were loved by many fans. The ST will do just fine with the ages of Hamil, Fisher, and Ford. Older characters did just fine then, and it will now. It's all about how the story is presented.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I understand how having a kid can hinder his personal quest of exploration. But Mara Jade is of the same spirit. I think its plausible that they could go explore the galaxy together. Just my opinion though.

Mehmeh likes this.
  20. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    I don't really have any fears per se', I just dont want to hear any old lines (one liners etc.) to remind us of the other films. The only line that should stay is obviously "I've got a bad feeling about this." and maybe even threepios numerical odds of survival. But to hear any of them say lines that have been said before will be jarring and, honestly, weak.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    'May the Force be with you.'

WEAK.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Not enough Lucas involvement is also a big fear of mine. For the latter films (whatever incarnation they may take), that’s fine, but he should definitely be involved with 7, 8 and 9.

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    In EU, Anakin and Luke's achievements have been rendered almost meaningless.

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  24. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I remember Zahn saying at some point he'd like to write a 'family' story about the Skywalkers and in my mind that'd be very much what something like that would be like. Luke, Mara, and Ben roving the galaxy in the Jade Shadow. Funny that he hasn't done it, I mean most of Zahn's releases have been very close to the movies or within the Galactic Civil War and he's never written anything for the NJO or Legacy era... you don't think... He knows something? He did get some background from Lucas for a third trilogy when he was writing the Thrawn series.

25. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    lol, okay I missed that one. THAT was weak. Your post, on the other hand, hilarious.

Allow me to explain what I actually meant by "lines said before". For example, if a situation occurs where the main heroes (I'm still holding out for the original three but there will obviously be newbies) have to save someone from the antagonist and they keep running into problem after problem and the one being rescued says "this is some rescue" sarcastically. That's jarring.

If any memorable lines that are not a definitive poetic connection (MTFBWY, IGBFAT, etc.) it shakes me out of the experience.

Clone wars does this occasionally, a character recently said "no, no problem, why?" is it a nice reminder of the OT, yes, is it poetic, yes, but I find that with a little bit more creativity they could have found a line that could have stood on its own.