main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Official Episode VII and the EU thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Disney will not follow EU.

Nah. He's alive and well in the real movie canon Star. Wars world. Not the fan fiction world

So some elderly couple or new children that are Star Wars fans, and not EU fans at all (or know what EU is which is like 90% of fans), go to see the new movies or the new Star Wars theme park.

You think new owners Disney are gonna say. "Chewbacca is dead." To these people? Have a murale for a dead Chewie?

2. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    Me too!

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If they declared the EU as alternate universe or Infinities then they have much more flexibility for movie plot development. And it still would allow screenplay writers to use a particularly popular EU character if they wanted to work it into a movie plot. I own and read probably a hundred EU books and to be honest I wouldn't mind if they were not used as movie canon.

With that said, have you noticed that there is a gap of knowledge between Ben Skywalker and Kol Skywalker. I am pretty sure Kol is Ben's grandson unless Ben had him late in life. It could be the movies will play out from 60ABY to 136 ABY when we are introduced to Cade Skywalker.

4. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    If there's no body, there's no guarantee he's dead, even if he was on a planet that was destroyed by a moon. He might've gotten rescued/captured by someone else.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It would suck if the new trilogy rendered Vector Prime non-canon.

But it seems that Episode VII could take place in between ROTJ and Vector Prime, thus Chewie could appear if necessary. Again "if necessary," because I think the main cast should be all new characters.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I am one of the probably very few people who didn't have a problem with Chewbacca dying in Vector Prime. I was actually getting pretty tired of them having a monthly crisis and everyone coming out of it without a bruise. Disney probably won't follow that continuity and to be honest that doesn't bother me one bit.

I think the EU discussion is completely and utterly pointless, because the opinions are so sharply divided and so rarely argumented. I understand both sides, but it usually comes down to personal opinions and some rather weak rationalizations. "EU wasn't made my Lucas, it's not canon!" Well, the new movies won't be made by Lucas either. "But he'll be a consultant!" Well, he was a consultant on some EU works as well. And it goes round and round, without anyone ever getting the point across.

It's all one universe, parallel or no, doesn't really matter. The movie will follow it's on story, and no matter what it does some people still won't be satisfied :)

yodasbum likes this.
  7. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I highly doubt Chewie is dead at this point in GL's universe.

8. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    the ROTJ novel had vader and the emperor have no clue who yoda was while they where reading luke's
    thoughts. GL had no problem throwing that away during the PT.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Quite right! The same goes for Boba Fett (we only saw him fall into the Sarlacc, we didn't see him die) and Darth Maul (we saw him cut in half at the waist and fall down the shaft, but not actually die).

GL was thinking of showing Boba escaping from the Sarlacc in one of the 'improved re-releases' (and GL seems to have said "hardly anyone beiieves he's dead"). Darth Maul (or part of him!) has made a return in TCW.

I don't see any problem with bringing Chewie back either.

10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

In a recent interview, Harrison Ford said this about Han Solo:
    “I thought he should have died in the last one to give it some bottom…George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”

I'm willing to bet that GL / Disney feel the same regarding Chewie.

11. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, well...I'm hoping Chewbacca remains dead. Han's struggle to get over Chewie's death was one of the best parts of those novels. I don't see why they can't just leave it alone. We don't need Chewie back to have a good, new SW movie.

On the other hand, I won't hold it against them if they do bring him back, as long as the new movies are otherwise good and well done.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Luke Mousewalker

Luke Mousewalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    I needed to register solely because I needed to convey the gravity of Chewies death to you.

He died saving Luke Skywalkers son by getting him off a planet about to be crushed by a moon. He died roaring out a challenge at a ****ing MOON.

That said, the movies/books could just be handled as different continuities. Like the new Star Trek movies and the original series.

13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The same way they'll address the NJO: by ignoring the heck out of it, if they're smart.

Chewie's not dead until George says he is.

14. Luke Mousewalker

Luke Mousewalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't think you understand. George doesn't have any legal rights regarding Star Wars anymore. At all. It's all the Mouse now.

15. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I have said it before and I will say it again George hasn't cared for his own canon never mind that of the EU. I don't expect that Kathleen or Lucasfilm with GL as creative consultant will care for the EU canon either. If they do go down the line of a Luke sequel trilogy which established characters sell the toys. Darth Vader and Darth Maul have gone the gang of 3 or 4 will be pensioners. I wouldn't expect Ewoks. So that leaves C3PO, R2 D2 and... Chewie as established popular and widely known properties to sell the trilogy much like they tried to do with Jar Jar for the last trilogy.

I would except them to cherry pick the best ideas and stories from the EUiit, if not for the sequel triology or the possible sequel triology of the sequel trilogy, but at least for the possible stand alone films and triologies.

How mad would they be not to have Chewies death on screen?

Despite what everyone says I bet you all go and see the new film anyway even if it does go against the canon you want or don't want.

16. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    George now owns the mouse! 2nd highest shareholder. I think that gives him legal rights and one hell of a voice.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    There are EU characters they can cherrypick and make into film characters, like Talon Karrde, but it would be foolish to try to not disturb the continuity of the books.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay, then why in the heck would "the Mouse" give a rat's behind about EU??

Chewie is not dead. He'll be in EVII as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

And as for GL's "voice", I think it has more to do with how much he wants to be involved than any directives from above. Try stopping this man. He gets what he wants. And he's got his private Caporegime stewarding this movie. "The Mouse" can wag its finger all it wants, but there's no restraining George Lucas.

yodasbum likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is exactly what I expect they will do. Hopefully if they do snag a woman out of the EU to be Luke's wife it is Mara Jade and not Callista.o_O I would rather not have the Vong war in the movies, so I hope Chewie is alive and well. And yes, I will go see the movies no matter what.

yodasbum likes this.
  20. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    No one - I don't care what they say in between - but no one is not going to see this movie because it violates or cancels out EU continuity. Even if they complain nonstop for the rest of their lives about the film, they will all be there come May 2015, many of them for the first midnight showing.

yodasbum likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would think that Chewbacca would be alive if the rest of the characters are. I think having him killed off screen between films in respect to a novel/comic would not be smart and might come across as a cheap way of writing him out of the story to all of those people that were oblivious to him having been killed in the EU.

Also, wasn't there a report back when ROTS came out in which Peter Mayhew was saying that his contract also stipulated appearances for three additional films? I thought I remembered hearing something like that which kicked off the ST rumormill back then but was dropped when Lucas continued insisting that there wouldn't be any more. Though maybe it was a fake report? Too long ago, I don't remember.

From Wookieepedia:

Cinescape posted the following quote from TheForce.Net that had lots of Star Wars fans raising an eyebrow or two: according to the December 2003 issue of that magazine, Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew said that when he signed his contract to work in Episode III, there was a clause that he would be "required" to work in Episodes VII, VIII and IX. But, after finishing Revenge of the Sith, Lucas restated on several occasions that he had no plans of making another Star Wars film trilogy; however, Lucas has been known to say one thing and do another in the past, so many fans still hope that he may give the reins to a new director, or that he may reconsider and produce another set of films after more time has passed, relying on further leaps in computer technology.​

yodasbum likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He saved Han's son. Not Luke's.

My take on is that is that Chewie's death in Vector Prime was perfect. There is no way a movie death can top it unless we see Vector Prime on screen.

23. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Does anyone else think that if they entirely throw out the EU that Chewie might be dead from old age? The movies don't indicate that wookies live for 600 years and that chewie was 200ish in EP4. Lucas has said before he intended chewie to be the "family dog". Why would the average movie goer expect a character that is full grown in ROTS to still be alive 60-70 years later? Only Yoda has been explicitly shown to have a long lifespan, so is there any reason to think (going only by the movies) that anyone from the PT would survive to the ST?

24. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    If they want Chewie in the movie, they will ignore the novel and put him in the movie.

25. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    E.U. is going to going to stand for 'Evaporating Universe' was the new movie comes out.

yodasbum and The-Eternal-Hero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.