main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jason79, Nov 8, 2012.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This is one of the things at the very top of my list.

2. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    There are some clone troopers that look fine, but are they real suits? I'm thinking of some of the scenes of the battle on Geonosis. But, you do get some really bad CGI troopers. Cody for example. His suit is obviously CGI, and it contrasts so badly with his real face it's terrible.

I don't know about the technology, I mean those films were coming out around the same time as the LOTR trilogy, and the CGI in those is far more subtle and tastefully done. They did use real full scale sets though and suits, but where there is CGI, it seems far more a part of the organic world than it does in the PT.

3. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    According the commentry they did not build a single clone trooper suit. Every clone trooper you see on screen was CGI

4. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Have Jar Jar make a come back and put on a Jedi robe and have Mickey Mouse show up and Goofy and have them ward off the Sith. Mark Hamill shows up and says thank you Mickey , Jar Jar, and Goofy . It would be beautiful, fans would have clarity like never before. IT would make up for all the wrong GL has done.

5. LordDeschain

LordDeschain Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    Haha, Jar Jar and Mickey's first day at school!

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You could totally do a great Jar Jar / Mickey crossover:

[​IMG]

7. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    This triligy would be better than the PT if there were no little kid actors.

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It seems like all the ST has to do to be better than the PT is to be about believable, regular people that we can relate to. Put ordinary people into extraordinary events and you will almost always have a winner, no matter what those events may be. By contrast, it seems like the last trilogy seemed to focus on events and then shoehorned in characters, no matter how unbelievable, that fit the needs of those events.

9. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    I'd like to see a return to a sense of realism. As fantastic as it was, the universe of the OT felt very real, very tangible, whereas the PT was always glossy and hyper-real, more like a cartoon (which it was in a way).

Less sofas. Ideally, no sofas. Epic space operas about the conflict between light and dark, tragedy and redemption, the birth of evil empires and the end of peaceful orders should not be played out on sofas.

The Millenium Falcon! I'd love to see the Falcon back in a main role. It's practically a character in its own right. Maybe it could be mothballed or in a museum somewhere, but is the only means of escape.

A trilogy! I know this is what has been announced but I want it to be a proper trilogy, following the same characters, played by the same actors, over three films, rather than having the second film set 10 years after the first. Also, I'm not keen on the idea of a series of interlocking films on the model of the Marvel series. SW films should always be big and special.

The return of the return of the Sith! Ok, this will probably result in endless threads about canonicity but if the film does not have an epic lightsabre fight at the end I want my money back, and who else is a Jedi going to have a lightsabre fight with? If it's just three films of mopping up after the empire it will be a bit boring. The film will have to find a way to justify a new triology with a story, and a threat, bigger than the earlier trilogies.

Less Jedi. Tricky because presumably Luke will have spent the intervening years re-establishing the order but one thing that the PT proved to me is that the Jedi are, by and large, dull characters and are best in small doses. There's room for one wise Jedi and a Jedi struggling to cope with the discipline of being a Jedi, but otherwise lets have them in small doses.

Location filming. This goes back to my first point -- the more real the film feels, the better.

Made in Britain. This is a personal bias as I am from the UK, but the largely British supporting cast really defines the tone of the first four films - I really noticed the switch to NZ for the last two films (although worth noting that LOTR managed to be very English despite being made in NZ).

Bounty hunters!

Children not allowed! Late teens pretending to be in their twenties and twenty-somethings pretending to be teenagers are ok, but no more brats going 'yippee.'

I could go on. Just make them good films, that's all.

NoChesterHester likes this.
  10. Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    Seems everyone has everything covered that I was going to say. Another thing that would make it better? Practical effects. I understand that it won't happen but, mix in practical with digital. It always works for Guillermo del Toro

11. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The PT & TCW have given me plenty of saber action. I wouldn't be disappointed if VII went back to the original and used them more sparingly.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the PT is actually more similar to the OT in terms of villains than people say. Each trilogy had a major villain (Darth Vader in OT, Darth Sidious/Palpatine in PT), and each individual film had a secondary villain (Tarkin in ANH, Boba Fett in ESB, Jabba/Palpatine in ROTJ, Darth Maul in TPM, Count Dooku in AOTC, General Grievous/Darth Vader in ROTS).

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Let me repeat something I posted in a different thread on the same topic, concerning my views on PT treatment of villains:

The PT just threw villains around very irresponsibly.

Episode I - Darth Maul! Damn! He's badass! I wonder what he'll...oh, he's dead.
    Episode II - Count Dooku and Jango Fett. Cool, Christopher Lee! Jango Fett! Yoda's former apprentice, a very different approach to a Sith Lord...could be interesting--whaaa?! Jango just went down like a punk! Well, we still have Dooku...
    Episode III - ...aaaand he's decapitated as well. General Grievous...eh, who's this guy now...he's kinda cool, has potential I think that--well, ****. He exploded.

All of those had potential, but were just thrown away needlessly.
    Hope that doesn't happen in Episode 7, that they make a cool main villain or two, stick with them and maybe introduce an occasional badass sidekick.
    Not just waste em like PT.

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon likes this.
  14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    This... very much so. I want clouds of smoke filling hallways from blaster fire and them actually using guns with blanks to time the shots.

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    This, yes. With someone new at the helm we might actually get some practical effects, some real sets and dare I say...location shooting?
    Would be a noticeable change in the immersion and in my view an improvement over THIS set:

[​IMG]

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The OT did the exact same thing though. Tarkin dies in ANH, Boba Fett goes out with a whimper in ROTJ, Jabba is strangled and Palpatine is thrown down a reactor shaft.

17. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Let me repeat something I posted in a different thread on the same topic, concerning my views on PT treatment of villains:

The PT just threw villains around very irresponsibly.

Episode I - Darth Maul! Damn! He's badass! I wonder what he'll...oh, he's dead.
    Episode II - Count Dooku and Jango Fett. Cool, Christopher Lee! Jango Fett! Yoda's former apprentice, a very different approach to a Sith Lord...could be interesting--whaaa?! Jango just went down like a punk! Well, we still have Dooku...
    Episode III - ...aaaand he's decapitated as well. General Grievous...eh, who's this guy now...he's kinda cool, has potential I think that--well, ****. He exploded.

All of those had potential, but were just thrown away needlessly.
    Hope that doesn't happen in Episode 7, that they make a cool main villain or two, stick with them and maybe introduce an occasional badass sidekick.
    Not just waste em like PT.[/quote]

I think the single biggest mistake of TPM wasn't having Ankain be a child or Jar Jar, but killing off Darth Maul.

He looked fantastic, he had that same kind of evil, menacing look that Vader did while being completely different then Vader. He was the perfet "heavy" to Palpatines villian. He should have been the main villian the heroes fought through the whole series until Anakin kills him in RotS, and having Anakin kill the Sith who killed Qui-Gon, just makes that sense mean that much more.

18. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    True, but OT compensated with having the ever present "main" villain Darth Vader, while others were just supporting characters.
    While Palpatine is the main villain in PT, he doesn't really do all that much until last half of ROTS and most of the focus is on characters who are in reality supporting villains but are treated as main in their respective movies. Until they get sliced, exploded, sliced and then exploded and all in between.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Palpatine isn't just sitting on his thumbs for the entire trilogy. He's slowly turning a democracy into a one person dictatorship and he's playing both sides of a war that is killing millions (btw, we really should have seen more of the devastation the Clone Wars wrought on the galaxy, my only problem with the PT).

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Not having to hear the derivative opinions of whining, raging nerds lamenting how they should have had final script approval...

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was just about to post something similar to this

22. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    An appropriate but, delicate balance between character development, well writen dialogue, and tastefully as opposed to overindulgent special effects. In addition, a well thought through, original story is a necessity as opposed to a basic, refurbished PT/OT.

NoChesterHester likes this.
  23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    1. Make a movie that kids new to SW will love and will be good for their parents also, even if they're not obsesive fans.

2. Don't listen to SW hardcore fans winnying! And don't try and explain every little detail.

3. Don't try out your idead/concepts in The Force.net, don't try to make us, the old fans happy. That's what GL tried in the PT

4. Make it small and personal, not about 1000's of star systems. Suspend my disbelief by assuming we know all the backstory and history, just like GL di in 77

QuangoFett and El_Machete12 like this.
  24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Dialogue that isn't painful to hear and I'm happy.

PleaseNoTimeTravel likes this.
  25. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I have to love the sarcasm.