main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 4,5,6... 1,2,3... THEN 7,8,9???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by episodenone, Nov 8, 2012.

1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    What will the new wars of viewing order look like?

Though I'm an old timer -- I think I'll tend to watch them all in Numerical order -- and if I ever have kids -- well, then who knows.

And if there are more and more movies -- will the viewing order wars finally become a moot point?

Especially when considered in light of all the other media like TCW and whatever else...

What do you guys think -- or am I stirring up the pot a little too much...

2. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I see no problem here.

3. wookieepotpie

wookieepotpie Jedi Master star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    I have toddlers that have just become old enough and I showed them the saga in this order:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi

When the big moment came in Empire, my 4 year old son honestly believed that Star Wars ripped off the "I am your father" reveal from Toy Story 2.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Assuming 7, 8, and 9 do actually comprise the ST, then I would say 1 through 9... in chronological order by episode number. I hope they do that, too, not just jump around randomly in time, and hopefully they will stop the movies after Episode 9 (even though the early announcements seemed to indicate that they plan to keep going).

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The only time the order truly matters is for first time viewing ever. That should always be order of release. Any time after is up to the individual. I just recently watched all six in numerical order instead.

fishtailsam likes this.
  6. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Interesting choice -- Why Mix the 2 trilogies up?

7. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    yea - that makes sense now that you mention it.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If these new ones are good, I think most people will say IV-IX then I-III.

Unless the PT Generation get vocal in their 20's!

I can't wait to do I-IX over 9 successive evenings.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have no doubt that some oldtimers will keep insisting on arguing that the release order is the best order: IV-VI for introduction and I-III as a flashback before the grand finale, VII-IX.
    I'd give it up, though. The PT and the ST are made to fit around the OT with a certain dramatic structure in mind and it makes perfect logical sense to watch the Saga in numerical order.

"Don't get technical with me"
    /LM

PiettsHat likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You must go order of release for first time ever viewing to maintain the Vader reveal...one of the greatest moments in movie history!

fishtailsam likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Chronological

12. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    This qualifies as one of the dorkiest conversations I've ever seen.

That said, chroniclogical is pretty good (for someone who's seen them before, otherwise, order of release) but skip AOTC. I've seen that thing five or six times & it was four or five times too many.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and fishtailsam like this.
  13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Vader's revelation is one of the highlights of the Saga even if you already know the truth. As for shock value, it's "Meh" compared to ROTS - given that you watch them in numerical order the first time.

"What makes you think there are fans over there?"
    /LM

PiettsHat likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    lollerzez at all of the people who don't know how to count...

15. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    how about chronologically backyards? Very Nolan-esque

16. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I would say that I - IX except for the impact if that line. I can never forget what that did to me as a 5 year old back in 1980 and I wouldn't want to rob anyone of that.

17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I wish that were so, but I just don't see Gen-Y/Z being that vocal about supporting their culture as we were/are. Especially their music.

18. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    If your new to it is the finding out Palpatine is the Sith Lord a shock?

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Exactly, that's why first time viewers, order of release is best... from then on chronological order.

yodasbum likes this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It seems as though this new trilogy may struggle to link as much with the other 6 movies. Remember the original idea was to have the Emperor appear in episode IX rather than VI yet now he as the main series antagonist is dead it makes the new trilogy seem a bit stand-alone.

I think some of the stuff Lucas planned to happen will still happen, but the way it is told will be different because he has altered the story sequence so much from what he originally planned to do.

Obviously it should still be viewed in number order though.

21. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll watch it both ways, chronologically and in order of release, depending on how I feel at the time.
    Though, I can totally see the merit of watching the OT before watching the PT, just for the Darth Vader revelation to Luke.
    Also, I imagine for the first few years I'll be more into watching the ST, just based on the newness factor, so I can dissect it like I have the previous two triogies.

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Why was six afraid of seven?

23. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Except "I am Your Father" is not the reveal of Anakin Skywalker. Vader tells Luke that he is his father during ESB, but I can't recall anybody actually using the name "Anakin" in the OT until the ghost of Obi Wan appears to Luke on Dagobah just after the death of Yoda. It is confirmed later when Luke surrenders and says "I have accepted that you were once Anakin Skywalker," and Vader tells him "That name no longer has any meaning for me."

If you watch Revenge of the Sith before Return of the Jedi, then you haven't really delayed the reveal...... and this is all assuming that the first time viewer hasn’t made the obvious connected that both character’s have the last name of “Skywalker.” This, of course, begs the question, if you are hiding Anakin’s children, and you send Luke to live with the family of Shmi’s wife…. Why give him Anakin’s last name rather than change it to Lars?

24. Smokewood

Smokewood Jedi Padawan

Nov 8, 2012
    because seven eight nine.

25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You absolutely HAVE screwed up the reveal, as you know who Vader is in RotS, you see him fall, you see him get put into the suit, you see Luke handed off to his Uncle Owen etc.

It completely destroys the reveal for someone who has never seen them before. First time viewers must see in order or release. After you've already seen them, chronological order is best.