main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What things from the PT do you want the ST to keep?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    High-speed lightsaber fights?

Lots of big CGI battles?

CGI aliens?

Planets like Coruscant and Naboo?

Parallels to real-world events?

References to events such as Order 66 or the Battle of Geonosis?

...........Midi-chlorians?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The high speed lighsaber fights show actual martial arts skill in the fight itself. Lucas didn't have a true martial arts co-ordinator in the OT thus it looked a bit cheesey at times - mostly Obi-Wan vs Vader. The lightsaber battles got better as the OT went on with ESB and RotJ.

CGI battles will be a big part of SW from now on as well... it's just the way new movies are made. I think you will see a return of MORE practical effects with a new director, but not so much so that CGI will be moved completely into the background. I think you'll have more practical sets etc and hopefully if Storm Troppers are used they use mostly real actors in suits and only CGI large groups of them.

CGI aliens... obviously. CGI is improving as time goes on and many of the CGI aliens by AotC and RotS fit right in and don't stand out as obviously CGI.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Go back to the style of the originals! As for the lightsaber fights... The Phantom Menace ones were brilliant -but then they went downhill after that. The fights involving Yoda, Dooku and Sidious were really bad. And the "fight to end all fights" between Anakain and Obi Wan was the worst.

Cgi overload!

Doug625 likes this.
  4. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Sorry, the best SFX company in the business isn't going to go back to scavenging parts from model kits set up with firecrackers and drive by with a camera in the back of a pickup truck to film ships crashing into the surface of some capital ship. They will use CGI and everyone will love them for it.

darthwannobi, Alexrd, Sitara and 6 others like this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    That's not what I meant and you know it!

REAL locations. A world that LOOKS like it is lived in etc

I was talking about the cgi with the lightsaber fights! "They will use CGI and everyone will love them for it" ? Yeah sure, whatever you say...

6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Well... you can't exactly go to a real erupting volcano location, so RotS's epic battle was going to be a CGI location no matter what. It was old hat knowledge fromt he OT days that Vader was in his suit due to major inuries in a battle with Obi-Wan at a volcanic location.

Also, the location itself wasn't completely CGI, they made a pratical miniature set.

[​IMG]

Echo-07, Alexrd, Feelicks and 2 others like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Tactile effects work better IMO, models look real because they are.

Puppet Yoda looks real, CG Yoda looks like CGI. Unless ILM can get Gollum-level quality on characters like Yoda when done with CGI, don't do them.

I agree the Obi-Wan vs Vader fight from ANH was not great, but given the age and conditions of the two guys at the time it seemed acceptable enough. I personally believe if old-man Luke Skywalker is in the movies he should fight more OT style not go all ninja like in the PT because it would look stupid.

I have no problem with the ST referencing PT stuff, nor the same worlds being used.
    Maybe we could see a Pod-Race on a different planet, such as Malastare

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    They used more models in the PT than in the OT. Not everything was CGI.

Alexrd, dolphin, KED12345 and 7 others like this.
  9. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The CGI in many cases is so good people think a model is CGI.

My biggest CGI issue was all the clone troopers being CGI.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A little of the visual flair, somewhere between RotJ and the PT; not as extreme as Lucas, but with the same illustration / comic book style. Definitely the rich color palette. Please, no more ESB's!

The saber styles. Not as much of it, but in the same dynamic style.

Coruscant (but not the Senate, that would be a mistake).

Some of the aliens might be cool, as background characters: Dugs, Kaminoans, Gungans. Just crowd characters.

Some of the vehicles, as old clunkers in the background.

Most definitely: bring back elements of "Duel of the Fates" and "Battle of the Heroes".

Jarren_Lee-Saber and EviL_eLF like this.
  11. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I second that. Please use actors and costumes wherever possible. They look more real, because, well, they are real.

Yup. Agreed

12. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Would there be any Sith or Dark Jedi for the heroes to fight? If so then probably. Non-Force-sensitive enemies would be an interesting development, but I doubt Lucas would allow any more than a handful of prominent non-Force-sensitives to wield lightsabres, and certainly none with the ability to go against a Jedi one-on-one.

All but inevitable. Considering how much film CGI has advanced since 2005 and especially since 2002, this would almost certainly make the PT's CGI look outdated. Depending on the scope of the film's focus (ie. whether it's about massive conflagrations between enemy superpowers like the first third of ROTS or about a relatively low-key personal conflict like the latter two thirds of TESB), it might not even need to have the grand battles. However, a CGI alien will almost certainly be on the main cast.

Yes. Even if the scope is limited to the fringes as the OT's was, there should be at least a glimpse at the vast galaxy beyond the confines of the story. Coruscant is almost certainly going to feature as the new galactic government's capital.

Hell yeah. The parallels to the real-world in the PT were superb. From the British East India Company rule over South Asia being alluded to with the Trade Federation/Naboo conflict to the parallels between the Republic/CIS conflict and the American Civil War as well as modern politics, they were some of the best parts of the story. Even the Rebels/Empire conflict of the OT hearkened back to the American Revolutionary War and countless other insurgencies fondly remembered by history.

Even something as explicitly non-militant like the stories of Siddharta Gautama and various ancient spiritual figures could be paralleled by the ST, particularly if it's main focus is on the spiritual side of the Force and deeper philosophical questions as Lucas claimed decades ago. There are thousands of years of recorded history to go through in search of inspiration for an IU philosophical debate.

Nothing that goes overboard with the nostalgia, but at least in the backstory there should be an acknowledgement of the PT's major events. Compared to the Rebels' battles, the events of the PT (particularly AOTC and ROTS) are truly galaxy-changing. From the perspective of the Rebel characters of the OT, the rise of the Empire should be considered a brief nightmare or an interregnum of the Republic. It should be possible to watch EP7 and appreciate it without having watched a single other SW film, and to watch the whole ST without the context provided by the PT and OT.

They should only mention them as ROTS did.

13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They did (McCallum and a camera man) go and film a real eruption; the footage is in the movie, they cut n pasted it into Mustafar.

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Definitely need the CGI aliens IMO. Even in 1999 when I saw those Neimoidians talking with those big clunky rubber masks, it just looked odd. With aliens played by actors with more-or-less unhindered faces (like Ki-Adi-Mundi, Shaak Ti, Bib Fortuna, or even the Utapauans), there's obviously no problem. But when it came to aliens like the Neimoidians or the Gran Senators it just felt outdated. With the CG characters like the Kaminoans and Geonosians, not only could they get better performances, but also break away from a strictly humanoid form (i.e. guy in a suit and mask).

I would like to see references to The Clone Wars, since that conflict kicked off the whole ordeal that led to Palpatine's rise to power and the rise of the Empire.

As the political center of the galaxy, Coruscant in a must, I'd like to see the senate building again with OT characters like Leia.

As for the high speed lightsaber fights: TPM did it well, ROTS did it poorly with the ridiculous distance covered in the fight. It was fine both on the landing pad and in the control room. But then they're walking across pipes, dodging falling lava, running across a collapsing superstructure, swinging from wires, and standing atop droids' heads all while continuing to fight. It got way too ridiculous. As for the Dooku and Sidious fights, we're stuck watching them mostly from a rear perspective of the Sith, since the actors have been replaced by stunt doubles or pulled out shots of CGI entirely CG characters. Those fights just lacked the drama of the fights that were carried out entirely by the actors. I would hope for more lightsaber fights like those of the OT and TPM.

I also like the space battle of ROTS, though wish we could have had a more complete battle like that of ROTJ, though with the ROTS level of quality. In ROTS it just consisted of the heroes flying through the battle on the way to Grievous' ship.

15. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I would like Kamino to make a comeback. A potential plot could be the Republic needs to bolster it's ranks in some systems and find in Palpatine's old chambers find documents relating to Kamino and the whole Sypha-Dias affair (it could be a chance to fill in the blanks to this mystery). Luke flies to Kamino and finds it ruins. the empire had utterly destroyed the place so no one else could use the technology. He discovers some clues that lead to Boba Fett and must return to Tatooine to find some DNA of the bounty hunter hoping it will unlock the secret of Kamino

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    exposed midriffs.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Which goes to my other point that some of the CGI is so good you can't tell the difference when they did it and people still claim it was all CGI. ;)

19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Lightsabers (between Sith, Jedi, and dark Jedi), Space battles, and storm/clone troopers/warriors

20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The themes, motifs, parallels, mirrors, and overarching sense of mythology that so beautifully linked the films to the originals.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My list of what to carry over from the PT and what to leave out from the OT is not only too long, but more than likely comparable in content to everyone else's nostalgia-fueled lists to the adverse.

22. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    The rich mythology and more complex galaxy.

My biggest fear for the ST is that it will bring back the fun but lose the depth the Saga has had until now.

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The sense of companionship and adventure, comedy, the lived in look of the universe, gritty bounty hunters and gangsters,

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I like the double lightsabers.

I liked the style of the lightsaber fights - except for all the stoopid stuff - yoda flopping around, sidious flopping around. Obi Wan and Anakin flopping around. I think if you had some cool battles - like crouching tiger hidden dragon, lightsaber fights could be epic again.

- C

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I can't wait to see the quality of the CGI creatures in the ST! It's sometimes hard to forget that creations like Jar Jar or Watto were animated in the 90's, and I have very high expectations this time around!

As a supporter of the Plagueis villain theory, I definitely hope the Midi-Chlorians appear again.

I'd hope to at least see Coruscant again. I don't really feel a MASSIVE need for Naboo this time.