main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jason79, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Better dialogue (how many iconic lines can you remember from the OT vs. the PT?) and a slightly more adult feel. Set the tone more towards TESB or ROTS, rather than TPM. I think the latter one is a given, anyway.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    An even more esoteric style than the prequels. Perhaps one that's blatantly experimental.

Not that I have anything against "easy to relate to" characters and fun action, but honestly I think I'll get my fill of that with the upcoming Star Trek and Avatar sequels.

3. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Less crying.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I like your line of thinking :) But I don't think the producers will go that route, especially if they want to make money :)

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, that's been done, GL went there to the Nth Degree. We have the PT, TCW, and lost of stuff he let get written & made during the past 20 years. Time for SW to become something anyone anywhere can relate to. And Lucas's recent work is so incredibly dense, it'll be a good long while before I've plumbed all the depths.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    (1) No Tatooine. ESB was the only film we didn't go back there. It was maybe fine to go back in ROTJ, but I was already bored with it in TPM.

(2) No Threepio & Artoo - Lucas lost the comedic touch he had with them in the OT and they honestly mostly became annoying in the PT. I'm sure they will have a cameo in the first one but that should be it.

(3) Less stiled dialogue and "overly polite" manners. I know Lucas was going for this kind of "golden era, super-civlized" take on the Republic, but as has been previously stated, that is boring to watch, at least, if you're in the theatre to watch Star Wars. :p It's been said many times, but most of the OT consisted of the characters yelling at each other, whilst calm characters like Kenobi and Vader were a counterpoint.

(4) If we get Jedi, give them personality. Kit Fisto became a fan favorite because he smiled for crying out loud.

(5) A better-planned trilogy, with better connections between the plots, and less wasted characters (see: Half the PT). That being said,

(6) No super-annoying "it's a small GFFA after all" connections between the ST and the Saga, e.g. Anakin building Threepio, etc. Don't try to connect all 9 films to each other more than you have to.

(7) Don't be overly concerned about making an "adult" SW film, but don't make it overly cartoony. No poodoo jokes, and no army of droids so that nobody actually dies onscreen. I'm convinced one of the main reasons Lucas created the Battle Droids was because otherwise we'd have tonnes of Jedi killing/decapitating/delimbing every single villain.

7. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    QFT. Good post.

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The more relevant question is "how to make the new movies better than ROTJ" - after all, they're direct chronological sequels to Episode VI while the PT is a lot less relevant at this point.

9. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    No more Jar Jar characters. Please!!!!
    Less scene cutting = Stay in locations longer and make scenes last longer so you can get into them before they skip to something else (ala the ending parts of The Phantom Menace constantly going between 3 places every 30 seconds...it ruined the movie)
    Have more than two Sith. We need to see big battles of Sith VS Jedi aka Lord of the Rings scale.
    Don't make the movies just to be nostalgic and include the OT characters. It will feel forced.
    And please Disney, don't "water down" Star Wars. Revenge of the Sith was the best of the Prequels for a reason. The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the OT for a reason.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You know, whoever writes the new movies sure has a big challenge ahead of them. I just hope they picked someone that understands Star Wars, and I hate to say it, more than Lucas does.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    robocop.

Debo likes this.
  12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    And what kind of Robocop?

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    robocop on a golden motorcyle, of course. but any robocops would be better than none.

Debo likes this.
  14. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Right on.

15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Agreed.

However, on the point of villain use: I'd prefer it if they had brief and good appearances (eg. Jango Fett in AOTC) rather than multiple appearances that culminate in farce (eg. Boba Fett in ROTJ).

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    No. Star Wars is already deficient in creativity as it is and besides, the EU already has thousands of years of the Sith that are waiting to be explored. Also, more Sith would make Palpatine's death meaningless.

17. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Perhaps they could take some ideas from the EU and explore humanocentrism, the satellite galaxies, the Maladians, and the Sun Guard. Stuff that aren't given enough attention.

Edit: Anti-Jedi sentiments would be an interesting topic to explore.

18. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Less Jake Lloyd-ing around, and more Harrison Ford-ing!

And more cowbell.

Jeff Vader likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't be surprised if he makes an appearance as Force Ghost Anakin

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    If Hayden makes an appearance as Force Ghost Anakin then Disney has to compensate by having Liam Neeson make an appearance as Force Ghost Qui-Gon Jinn. Seriously, Qui-Gon Jinn deserves more screen time. He was the best character of the prequels. Hell, he was the best thing about The Phantom Menace.

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011

Sun Guard as ST villains? That sounds like a decent idea. Fanatical Sith cultists would be a persistent threat to the Jedi, perhaps with their anti-Jedi ideology spreading throughout the general population. It's one thing to have the Sith impose themselves on an unwilling and ultimately rebellious galaxy; it's another entirely to have the entire galaxy become swept up in the Sith ideology.

Considering both the real-world context of religious extremism and the Social Darwinist subtext of Sith ideology, this would be very controversial. It would take a position on real-world political extremism. It would grab headlines and make waves, which could potentially add value to the portfolios of Disney investors.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  22. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Agreed

And not rely as heavily on CG

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    More focus on character & relationship development.
    Better continuity between the movies.
    Better scripting, or at least someone who could get the actors to deliver the dialogue better (OT script is hardly the best but the actors at least said the words like they cared).
    Less wasting of good characters (like Darth Maul & Qui Gon)

24. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Also better camera work during dialogue, the PT was rather lazy about it.

25. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I was thinking that if the new set of films does include the Sun Guard, which is unfortunately unlikely, they could explore the Sun Guard religion more. Perhaps they are a monotheistic religion? Perhaps their religion is a mix of Sith ideology and diety worship?

Also, when I referred to "anti-Jedi sentiments," I actually meant a negative attitude against Force-users in general. Of course, I didn't bother to say that because, presumably, after ROTJ, the Jedi are the only organization of Force-users left in the galaxy, with all other Force-user groups destroyed through Palpatine's Holocaust-like policies.

QuangoFett likes this.