main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke could always adopt her (not sure if Ben would be old enough); but no more discussion until you've read the duology!

Dug these posts out of a couple of threads:

If it was revised (retconed/corrected) that quickly....

I can just see her striking down another Sith (her supposed) 'ally' to save Ben's life....

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, to me, that's just wrong! Every story has its flaws, even DE, which I have a great deal of affection for as a story.

3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Don't think this is confirmed but according to Deadline the writer of Toy Story 3 is the lead writer of the ST. If this is true, this is a good sign as I felt Toy Story 3 had some good dialogue while also hitting a lot of deep emotions for a family cartoon film. Hopefully the writer could lend this for Luke and the rest.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=69828

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Prometheus was better than Lost :p. Wasn't a huge fan of either, though.

As of now, I feel the big three shouldn't be recast. I feel they're fundamentally different from someone like James Bond, who's the star of his own franchise and is known more for his character traits than he is attached to any one actor (save perhaps for Sean Connery). Luke, Leia, and Han, on the other hand, are still quite tied to Hamill, Fisher and Ford.

Personally, my preferred route at this point is to have the ST take place in the future, and release animated films chronicling adventures of the big three. Would truly be the best of both worlds.

I did not like Toy Story 3, but I have some issues with Pixar films that make all my friends just think I'm grumpy when it comes to children's movies and television (maybe I am; I certainly dislike My Little Pony enough to make a case for it). Nonetheless, I did see some potential there.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I found that hard to believe as we had the map guy with a map locator device get lost, scientists not being scientists, and a woman who can fight through a c-section. I could go on but it disturbs me that there can be something worse :p

I can understand that and I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with the idea if they're suppose to portray the characters in their 60's and 70's. Although Mark has to get back in shape and the same for Carrie. It's been a while since those two acted in a live action film. Still my issue is if the sequels take place during their 40's I would ant them recasted. As shown with X-men: First Class it's possible to have two great Magneto performances.

animated films to fill in the gaps would be something else to look forward to. Now with Disney owning the franchise we hopefully get something else than Clone Wars era material.

gotta say you're one of the few people I know who disliked Pixar films....at least when it comes to Toy Story. Still regardless of your enjoyment of the 3rd film you did see that the writing was pretty well done considering the material. I hope he brings that to Episode 7

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    So what do you think Denning means by Luke losing his "Force essence" and that it should be included in his "character arc"?

Well, I haven't read about her, but if she's a daughter of a clone of Mara, I wouldn't consider her to be a child of either Luke or Mara. She's a daughter of Mara's clone... and that's not Mara.

It never bothered me that we didn't need to worry about the characters dying. In the first place, there were plenty of times where it seemed like they actually might NOT survive. And it was exciting to see how they managed to get themselves out of the terrible messes they were in. It certainly seemed to me that the Jedi way of life WAS dangerous!
    But even if some people "like" the idea that the heroes might die in a given story, do we need to take that to such an extreme that Ostrander couldn't even use ONE character from Luke's Jedi Order or a child from said character in the Legacy comics???? That's ridiculous!!!! And, as I said to JB, if he wasn't willing to give that NJO Jedi or his/her descendant a NAME that we know, couldn't he have at least said that this person who was now in charge of the Jedi Order was a student of Luke's or of one of Luke's students????? Wouldn't that have been far better than pushing PREQUEL Jedi into the Legacy era???? I find it especially annoying, as these prequel Jedi never lifted a finger to help Luke when he so desperately could have used their help and support in restoring the Order. Yet, as soon as Luke is gone, they shove their way right to the top to lead the Order. I can't tell you how much I hate that!

As I said, I don't like stories that have sad and disappointing endings. I don't want this to happen in the Sequel trilogy. I want a true, happy, satisfying ending. Plus, I felt that the Serenity film was dark, cold, and even scary. I don't want that for Star Wars.

Thanks, TB, your suggestion for typing my posts seems to have worked. I used this part as an experiment. More to follow...

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    JediMatteus :
    But, JM, if Luke could use the Fallanassi illusions and cloaking skills to hide himself, he wouldn't have been much of a target, would he? No one would have been able to see him.

kataja:
    Exactly!!! And since there were so few Jedi anyway, it was hard enough for them to make an impact against so many invaders even if they were working together. But having them split into factions was another unnecessary obstacle when there were already so many!

That's a good point. So, not only was it silly for them to use a Jedi rift in the NJO, but they made it even more silly by not having Luke learn anything from it.

Definitely! But I also would like to be able to have Luke's offspring be among the new heroes that we can follow into far future films when Luke is either no longer around or he makes just a cameo appearance.

I agree that Grace wouldn't be Luke's child. I don't even see her as Mara's.

CoPL wasn't the only reference to "children" either. Luke and Mara saw "children" in their shared vision at the end of VotF too.

I agree with you about this. (Hey! Isn't it nice that we're agreeing quite a bit lately???) ;)

MasterSkywalker86:
    While I enjoyed the Toy story films, I think that the SW films are very different. I don't know how being a good writer in a Toy story movie would transfer to a SW film. Does this person have any experience in live-action movies?

instantdeath:
    I agree with this. However, if they take place too soon after RotJ, then the original actors wouldn't be able to fill the roles and they would need to be recast. I would think though that the sequel films would be at least 25 to 30 years after RotJ to give Luke at least a little time to train at least some Jedi.

It sounds like this would work very well. They could fill what happened in the years between the OT and the ST with animated films where the ages of the actors wouldn't matter.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Glad to see you're starting to see things my way! ;)

Wouldn't THAT be nice! Maybe we will get some of those animated adventure stories of Luke and his Jedi!

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    depending on the timeline we could see that in the ST or the movies following that. Personally I'm hoping for the latter, as we only seen Luke become a jedi knight in the last few minutes of ROTJ.

different yes, but he looks to be fully capable writer, even won as Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine(I haven't seen it). I follow up to see if he would be the sole writer, turns out he's doing a treatment meaning he might not be the sole screenwriter.

I'm kind of hoping for the ST to take place anywhere from 5-20 years from RotJ. I want to see Luke's progression from knight to master, as mentioned before we only just seen him become a self taught knight.

I wouldn't jump the gun yet Child :p

I will be fine if 60 yr old Luke looks like MY avatar or like this :cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

NOT THIS !! [face_not_talking]

[​IMG]

like I said he needs to get back in shape

that will probably happen, TCW looks to be done this following season or at least won't be renewed. The idea of seeing Luke having adventure on the small screen is a breath of fresh air, it's like my wish of seeing Luke in other mediums decided to come true :p

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought that was good, as well. However it was stepping back in time (just like the Trek reboot and Obi-Wan in the PT). Jumping forward is a bit trickier, IMHO.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Having the heroes in real danger of death tends to ramp-up the suspense, - my feelings, anyway.

Never seen Legacy, but I do agree that the Prequel-era Jedi at the top is a bit strange. What is the Order like at that time; OJO or still with Luke's more relaxed approach? If the former, either an event in the interim could have made them better candidates to 'whip the Jedi back into shape' or they could have regarded Luke's system as 'heretical' and/or 'grey'.

You're very welcome!

11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    That's why old men grow a beard - didn't you know that? It hides the double chin :p That way they can go for handsome a few years still ;)
    And because we girls don't have the same opportunity, we're doomed to loose our charms quicker. o_O

[face_thinking] Of course, if we do grow a beard, we loose every trace of charm immediately [face_laugh]

On the more serious side, I've found out that my computer is most likely to freeze when I quote smilies or pics - not text.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    But, JM, if Luke could use the Fallanassi illusions and cloaking skills to hide himself, he wouldn't have been much of a target, would he? No one would have been able to see him.

if you recall, Luke and Jacen had not worked on illusions yet. not till close to JK timeline. Luke may be limited in this area at that point. also it was important to bring the youth in the limelight and make them into heroes that young people could root for. The NJO series was the perfect set up to let the older guys take a slightly lesser role, but they screwed that up, now they are supposedly tryting to do that again with crucible.

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I can absolutely see that too. I think she and Ben were gerat together, though I could see them just become friends too, eventually. What I can't see, is Vestara just become all-Sith again - her background is already too messed up. She's felt the touch of the light - and she was never a one-Sith type Sith anyway (generally, the lost Tribe do have potential for more, since they can love and interact) But I'm very happy taht she wasn't redeemed just like that - it would have been unserious. Let it take a very long time - but I could well see her become more or less Light evemtually.And with a lot of deliscious tricky situation on the road to that! [face_love]

Basically, I'd like to see with her, what we never saw with Mara. :(

Often, it's the flaws that makes us love things (or people - I'm married - I know! :p ) To quote Linus from Fanboys:

That's what I hope for too. And just like you, I think there's a fundamental diference between SW and James Bon. And if the ST takes place far enough away from 4 ABY, they could easily just focus on what'øs happening then and not reveal anything about the time between. Maybe there comes a time for a reboot - maybe not - but I don't think it's now. Lets' see what they can do with a Sequel time era first.

It is!!! [:D]
    Then again, we've always agreed on what truly counts - that Luke's awesome!!! ;)

Yeah - 'cos my Luke is always in good shape [face_love][face_love][face_love]
    Then again, the best way to ensure this might be the Jedi Robes - you can't see what's underneath them anyway - but it gives free room for imagination :D

I probably put too much in it, but the latest news taken into consideration, I canøt but help thinkng whether the desicions not to sideline the older generation didn't come from higher up? [face_thinking]

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    BTW, you know what's really cool lately? After thye big news' been released, many people are finally talking of Luke like he's the heart of Star Wars. They care much less about Leia and Han being in the next story - but if Luke isn't in it, it had better be a new generation far in the future.

also, scroll down to The Hellhammer's post in:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/old-luke-is-up.50005835/

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For myself, I tend to simply scale back my emotional investment in the story if it's a super-jeopardy type so to speak, hence I care less when characters are offed left, right and centre. It's actually very hard to create a story and do a surprise character death that doesn't irritate profusely - the SW example is arguably Ton Phanan here. Yet, if it was so easy, why does that remain such a rarity?

At the same time, a skilled author can convince you your favourite characters are in dire peril, even when they're not - here the example is Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I dunno kataja a fat man with a beard just looks like.....a fat man with a beard to me :p He needs to shape up or ship out IMO. I also am liking all this discussion about Luke since the announcement of the ST, it seems like everybody wants to see Luke in action again.

[face_sick][face_rofl]

Kataja your fangirl is showing :p

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have zero hope that Disney can pull this off. i hope i am wrong

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    any particular reason why JM ? I mean if the Marvel franchise can succeed under Disney why not Star Wars ?

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :
    Sounds good! I hope he excels at writing characters! If Luke is in it, I hope he is written well!

I agree! It's been so annoying that Lucas and everyone else seemed to forget about Luke. Hopefully, now we will be getting MANY more Luke stories in all sorts of media!

Tim Battershell:
    Well, K'Kruhk and the other prequel Jedi seemed to be spouting and following prequel era Jedi traditions and beliefs, and, they were the ones who were the leaders of the Jedi Council. There were, however, a couple of Jedi, like Sazon and Kol (who died in the first issue), who seemed to have the more relaxed approach.

We didn't really meet all that many Jedi though. In fact, at first, it seemed as though there were only a handful who had survived. Later, we discovered that there was a hidden Jedi temple, but there didn't seem to be all that many Jedi there either. So, there still didn't seem to be all that many Jedi left after the purge that took place in the first issue.

JediMatteus:
    But Luke *HAD* learned how to do Fallanassi illusions and cloaking techniques before this. It was in the Black Fleet Crisis back in Bantam that Luke learned how to do them.

It just made them annoying to me! Having 14 and 16 year old teenagers doing heroic things while the more experienced Jedi sat back and did nothing wasn't reasonable and wasn't satisfying as far as I was concerned. What we should have gotten throughout the entire NJO was young apprentice Jedi paired with their Jedi Masters. The younger and older characters could have worked together and shared the limelight. The younger characters could still have been given the opportunity to shine, without making the older characters look like clueless idiots. By having the apprentices paired with the experienced Jedi, the authors could have developed these younger characters while also showing respect to the older ones. I hated the way they had action-oriented Luke passively sitting on the sidelines doing nothing while the young teenage Jedi did the heroic things that he should have been doing with them.

The authors didn't need to degrade and denigrate the established older characters in order to "bring the youth into the limelight".

kataja:
    So true!

This is a possibility! I'm certainly glad that Lucas said that Del Rey couldn't kill off Luke anyway!

Yay! And remember how so many here on the Lit boards wanted to kill Luke off or push him into the background? Maybe now he's going to be pushed to the forefront again! I certainly hope so!!!

Jedi Ben:
    EXACTLY!!!!!!! There were many times in the Bantam books that I feared for Luke's life and the lives of many of his friends and family. And the tale of how they managed to escape certain death was very exciting and amazing!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Let's definitely hope so!!!

21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Would it even be Star Wars without the Skywalker/Solo family? Doubt it!!!

22. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    So we can speculate that either the purge, or something that had happened 'off-camera' had eliminated the most senior members of Luke's NJO - leaving just inexperienced Knights and Apprentices to carry on.

These probably wouldn't have been knowledgable (or influential) enough to convince K'Kruhk and the others that it was Yoda that had decided that the OJO had become stagnant, resistant to development and, thus, had trained for "the previous war" (something not unknown in Europe circa 1920 to 1939)!

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it would. I've enjoyed loads of SW stories without them. Now would a film fly without them? That's a somewhat different question - I'd like to think yes, but I'm not sure.

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I hope Luke is in it, and not there to die at the end of Episode 7 or 8 or 9. But to be a central character and if not the main hero of the trilogy one of the main heroes. My wish would be Episode 7 handles with Luke as a proficient Jedi Knight on his path to begin as a young Jedi Master, he also is trying to figure out on how to start the Order back up while the fight between the NR and the Imperials wages on. Perhaps here we could be reintroduced to Mara as well and maybe the hints of romantic attraction between the two. Han finds out Leia is pregnant etc. setting the seeds for the young generation to be the focus in Episode 9. Episode 8 the Jedi Academy is thriving while the Solo kids are growing up, Luke is teaching as well as helping out in the war. I would imagine the last movie of the trilogy has both classic and the new generation working together and implies that young generation(late teens) will take over in case of a new threat. While Luke, Mara, Han, and Leia live out in peace. Of course Luke will still have his duties as the Jedi Grand Master of the NJO and Mara as jedi master will as well. Han perhaps in an ironic turn becomes an NR ambassdor with Leia as a jedi consular and representative of the NJO. Basically I would like the ending to be equivalent to Return of the King, a happy sendoff to the characters that we loved since our childhood.

Right I understand during the release of the PT but it has been 7 years since the release of ROTS and the focus is still on Anakin and Obi-wan. Throw us a bone, we only had the books and comics to enjoy, and as of late the books haven't been enjoyable and there hasn't been any comics featuring Luke. Where does that leave us ?
    also I believe Lucas has changed his mind again on what the movies are about, Anakin isn't the center of the movies, he's the focus for the PT, while Luke is the focus for the OT. Perhaps Luke's offspring will be the focus of the ST.

correct.

:D:D

25. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I've started to speculate how much to put into Yoda's "When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not"... Yes, they've said the original setting for the last trilogy wasn't that far into the future - then again - Lucas has never put all his eggs in one basket...

And if they'd find a way to explain how Luke - and possibly Han and Leia - would survive that long, neither Hamill of Fisher or Ford would have to fret for their looks - they'd still be in remarkably good shape, all things considered :D;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.