main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "It also needs to be emphasized that this is all technically RUMOR (until we report otherwise, at least). Nonetheless, if Arndt has indeed written a story treatment for Episode VII, then there’s a good chance he’ll be involved in the actual screenwriting process (which would be welcome news indeed). Furthermore, it’s not surprising to hear that the cream of the crop are being looked at to direct – but is quite encouraging, all the same.
    More on Star Wars: Episode VII as the story develops."

Pretty self explanatory. According to George & Kathy: George wrote the treatments, Kathy is talking to a "couple of writers" about the story. Nothing about a secret Treatment written over the summer.

Remember when Episode I was going to be called "Rise of the Mandolorians" and Boba Fett would be revealed to be a woman?

Gimme that grain of salt...

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    WALL-E is Pixar's best film bar none!

3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Your point 1) Over the past day or so I have gotten this feeling as well, this is going to be an OT cast movie, which will make me pee in my fanboy bed :D.

Your point two) Miss Sunshine's story was driven by character's. There were alot of big characters that changed dramatically and smoothly. The script was funny and tragic in places. This sounds like an awesome start for a new Star Wars.

Buddha Fett likes this.
  4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Fair enough, man. Skepticism is healthy. But we're over a decade into this, our world of internet entertainment reporting, and not all rumors are created equally.

Back in 97, this crazy little upstart website called Ain't It Cool News ran this story that indie actor Ewan McGregor was gonna play Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And I thought the female Fett was Ambu Fett, Boba's mom. ;) [face_peace]

5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Dude, remember to put your Battle of Hoth sheets in a safe place before bed tonight. Those things are collectors items, after all. [face_laugh]

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I wonder what Supershadow is doing now in days?

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm all for it. I just don't want the old guys to play the old fathers and mothers who play the sacrifice role or stand around and do nothing. I want them to actually do something, and actually be apart of the story. Which I think they will.

fishtailsam likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Writing Episode VII, what else?

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I was hoping George Lucas would of write the story and treatments for 7, 8, and 9 and have somebody else flesh out the actual screen play.

The official word is George wrote the story and treatments...

10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    He might have collaborated with a writer on the treatments. He did that with the ESB & RotJ scripts, and he does that with the CW writing team, he also did it for Indy 4 and Young Indy. He narrated an entire book trilogy to Chris Claremont over 8 hours in one day, and Claremont says there was so much information on the tapes that he used them all the way to the end of the project. So I'm sure George'll put his stamp on it.

But...he is retiring. Moving on to "better things". Sooner or later, we'll have big screen SW without GL's imprint.

Also, I'll note that many people said of the OT that George's descriptions were better than what he wrote down. I've found that to be true with the PT as well. It might be better this way. Not as an "idea generator", 'cause I've come to like his writing, or at least to enjoy it as his own personal style, but delivering his stories more powerfully and undiluted.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Deadline verifying this gives it a bit more stock.

It's a damn good choice, I'd say. The guy knows how a story has to function, especially if he uses the original film as his example when teaching.

12. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Disney was really proud of Toy Story 3. They kept emailing employees about its success and when the blu-ray came out they gave all us employees a copy for free!! This is the same company that hasn't gave me a raise in over 7 years, they never give stuff away. Blah

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Deadline is always right on the money. They're not just your average movie news blog. Also, the Hollywood Reporter has reported it, too. They're an actual entertainment news outlet. Its not rumour at all.

LawJedi likes this.
  14. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Toy Story 3 is as mature storytelling as exists. Not I'm subject matter obviously, but in execution.

Absolutely phenomenal movie in a difficult situation very similar to Star Wars in some regards. The characters and universe was well established and well loved. The stories before had a certain story arc and he had to find a new angle, but at the same time wrap it all up. He did so masterfully.

I'm hopeful.

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    When you have the Hollywood Reporter and Deadline reporting this that's when it stops being a rumor.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    It stops being a rumor when Lucasfilm/Disney announces it.

17. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Never heard of the guy, so I did a little 5 min lookup. I actually liked what I saw
    • Graduated from a good film school
    • Been around Hollywood for awhile before writing his first script-was employed as a script reader and Broderick's assistant
    • Had the balls to quit "Sunshine" when they tried to change the script too much and was hired back
    Like one of the articles said about the subject of writing the new SW...It comes with a ton of baggage. Not a job for the meek.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd like this to be true, it really reminds me of the writers who were brought in on YIJ. But so far they're maintaining that George wrote the treatments and is shepherding the script. And we won't know anything until the NY when the deal is legal, so they've told us. This is WAY better than Orci/Lindelof. Hope they never get their turn.

FinleySlade likes this.
  19. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I suppose this rumoured writer can't be worse with some others they could come up with.

20. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    In the Disney Star Wars signing video George says that writing with other writers has been going on since Kathy arrived which means several months.

. About 4.55 in the video.

21. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004

22. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    A good writer is a good writer. That's the equivalent to saying Jamie Foxx can't play Ray Stevens because he was in In Living Colour & Booty Call. Or Jon Favreau can't direct Iron Man cause he does movies like Elf & Swingers.

It goes both ways also. Just because a writer has a track record for writing a specific genre does not mean they're a good fit either. Sometimes a fresh mind is needed. Just give me a writer who can give me entertaining dialogue, mixed with an interesting story. And then find me a director that can put it all together & everything should be gravy.

Angel Eyes and FinleySlade like this.
  23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Arndt (if it is him) will do a great job. TS3 and LMS are both character driven movies filled with heart. They are also conspicuously lacking in cringe-inducing dialogue. This is a good thing.

GL was always at his best as an ideas man - his execution as a screenwriter is not good. If he gave his basic concepts to Arndt and Arndt has come up with a treatment that covers the entire trilogy that already places us in much better place than the prequels ever reached. Every one of those scripts was hampered by GL's writing and the fact that his (deserved) status meant that he was able to film what would barely pass as first drafts by your average pro screenwriter's standards.

Having George write the treatments (as per that Disney statement) is probably only for the benefit of any shareholders or fans that still think that is actually a good thing. He has retired. Kennedy is holding the reins now. She will know as well as anybody what the failings of the PT were. She'll also know that the way to get the best out of SW is to hand over GL's ideas to a talented writer who really gets what makes SW tick and that's what it looks like she's done with this treatment.

24. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    http://www.supershadow.com/

"...The ultimate puppet master."

25. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Because anyone who dwells in the shadows of the unknown has a website. What a tool.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.