main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 4,5,6... 1,2,3... THEN 7,8,9???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by episodenone, Nov 8, 2012.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    But honestly, the ESB reveal isn't even that good anymore with how thoroughly it's been copied in popular culture (see the Toy Story example above). Family relationship reveals are a dime a dozen in media.

But seeing a protagonist fall as hard as Anakin did? That's exceedingly rare, particularly in children's television. Especially the brutality with which he falls.

Honestly, if you're looking for great reveals, I - VI is the order to go in, in my opinion.

Plus there's the added tension of wondering what's going to happen when Luke finally realizes that Obi-Wan was lying to him. Or heck, the very shock you get from realizing that Obi-Wan is deceiving Luke in such a manner in the first place.

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I disagree with the shock value of how hard Anakin falls... it's there whether you've seen the OT or not. Nobody expected he'd be walking in himself to slaughter younglings. It has it's own shock value as a result. Let the first time viewer experience it the way it's supposed to... OT, PT, ST.

Keep all the moments true!

3. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Doesn't matter to me. I always watch them backwards. 6/5/4/3/2/1.

4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Cause Obi-wan and everyone thought Vader was dead

5. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Again. Anyone here see the PT first? Was the reveal that Palpatine was the Sith a shock?

6. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I disagree. There's not really any comparison for me. But here's a question: which would have been more shocking to you?

A. Finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father?

Or

B. Having Luke turn to the Dark Side at the end of ROTJ, cause Leia to die, and then be burned alive while Han walks away?

For me, option B is without a doubt the better plot twist.

Yes. Not as much as Anakin's turn, though -- not by a longshot. And Padmé dying. And all the Jedi being killed. And Anakin killing younglings. And Anakin burning alive. And Obi-Wan leaving him there.

ROTS is just one giant movie of emotional torque. That's why it's my favorite.

7. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    These days when I watch the saga the ordering depends on the mood. If I find myself in the mood for a specific film I'll start with that film, and generally watch forward from that point to the end before going back to pick up the films I missed. Or, I might even skip around. Obviously I already know the big stuff, if you are really listening and watching, Star Wars films are the kind of flicks where you always see, hear, or think of something new. Watching the films in different orders can sometimes make interesting connections (Lucas' internal rhyming of plot situations, themes, etc..) more visible.

8. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Am I the only one that loves Attack of the Clones? When it was out everyone loved it then it somehow become the one to bash.

LawJedi and PiettsHat like this.
  9. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I do too. Unabashedly. Second favorite Star Wars film after ROTS.

It's an absolutely beautiful, magnetic film and has one of the best ending sequences of any movie I've ever seen -- Star Wars or otherwise.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Nope, love the film! I love the entire PT though too. I think the PT fits seamlessly with the OT. Have never been a PT basher at all.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  12. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I have sat down to watch all 6 in a row twice. Both times I watched them 1,2,3,4,5,6. I like the prequels though, on some levels. My nephew lived with me for a few years and when I showed him star wars, it was in numerical order as well. I think I would continue to watch them that way if the sequels are strongly connected to the original 6.

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Exactly. Palpatine revealing himself might be surprising, but the true shock value lies in Anakin's decisions and where they all end up by the end of the film. That, and the experience of seeing the children struggle with the mess left by their father, is too good to miss out on for the first-time viewer.

I loved it then and I love it now. It's a great film!

"I am your son"
    /LM

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  14. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    We watched 1-6 to start. Then, the youngling watches whichever one he feels like. The narrative is told 1-6. Want to really mess with a child? Show them Clone Wars stuff before ROTS. My little guy worshipped the ground Anakin walked on. Then, he went to the Jedi Temple in ROTS. Wow. You have NEVER, EVER seen someone so affected as he was. Screw "I am your father." Best thing was that he got it totally that Anakin was being lied to and being made "to do something bad because someone else told him to." Then, when the Emperor gets tossed down the shaft in ROTJ, this kid's eyes lit up. He even said, after ESB, "Vader told him cause he loves him." He got the whole message, in his own way.

Damn you PT haters to hell. :p Just kidding. But, damn, no cynical heart could withstand his responses.

Btw, his favorites are AOTC, ANH, ESB and *anything* Clone Wars related. I think he has secretly identified with the Storm/Clone Troopers.

15. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    In the ESB the when vader's talking to the emperor on the giant hologram, the emperor talks about Luke being the son of Anakin Skywalker

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Thanks for confirming what I've suspected, PD! A while ago, when I was in the middle of a TCW craze, I watched ROTS and felt that this movie should really mess kids up if they've followed that show. I think that they really succeeded in giving TCW the same kind of atmosphere as AOTC and the beginning of ROTS. This gives you the feeling that you're still watching The Clone Wars when you watch ROTS - until Anakin joins the Sith. What a shocker! He does something completely out of character and everything goes to hell because of it. Some kids'll be in serious need of psychotherapy ;)

"Twisted by Star Wars, the young fan has become"
    /LM

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  17. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    It seems Lucas wanted them to viewed in numbe order not release. He did not listen any credit for Darth Sidious and makes the Young Ghost and the end of the jedi more known

18. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    If you are so dense that you cannot pick up on all this -- you really have no business owning property rights to your brain.

19. THE PortmanLuvva

Oct 26, 2012
    I always watch them 1, leave it a week or two to kinda simulate anikin growing up!, then 2, 3, same thing again, 4, 5 and then 6.

20. THE PortmanLuvva

Oct 26, 2012
    OMG *Anakin o_O